Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 01-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Bluegrass Performances

I have been on a bluegrass kick lately... even been trying to learn how to flatpick on the guitar. Looking for some more inspiration, show me something! Here's Phish doing Uncle Pen from 1990, solid guitar work here...

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Backbeach Jake

I grew up with that music. Hated it. Then one day I tried flatpicking. The next day I gave my guitar away. My brother in law is a self taught flat picker extrordinaire. He teaches as well. Banjo , too. If you'd like lessons PM me.

PS. as an aside I grew up on the Country Music HighWay (Rt.23, Lawrence Co. KY) and Ricky Skaggs went to my High School, albeit a coupla years behind me.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Canalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
I grew up with that music. Hated it. Then one day I tried flatpicking. The next day I gave my guitar away. My brother in law is a self taught flat picker extrordinaire. He teaches as well. Banjo , too. If you'd like lessons PM me.

PS. as an aside I grew up on the Country Music HighWay (Rt.23, Lawrence Co. KY) and Ricky Skaggs went to my High School, albeit a coupla years behind me.
I am way past my taking lessons days. I've been playing for 16 years at this point I'm not going to get any better than what I can learn myself , I'm too set in my ways! It used to be something I strived to be great at, now it's just something I enjoy doing to pass a winter night. Kind of keeps the mind sharp.

Incidentally I was just watching videos of Skaggs yesterday.

-Dave

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

got lots of inspiration here.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...bluegrass.html

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

for my money you can't beat the New Grass Revival band of years ago. Progressive and multi talented players.

Stellar performances here but may make you want to smash your guitar as they are so good.

Last edited by ProfessorM; 01-06-2011 at 06:41 PM..

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Backbeach Jake

Flatpicking done well is a thing of beauty.
I understand the set in your ways. It was the repetition that killed it for me. I'm the short attention span theater marque idol...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

really digging this band the last few years. Like Dels voice and his players are fantastic.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

as you already know how I feel about Tony Rice. He is the best bluegrass guitar player there is IMO. I just luv his sound and style. It really sucked we missed him at the show we attended a few years ago.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

BTW Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby came out with an album last year, I think it was, and it is awesome bluegrass music. I got it if you want a copy .

This is a view but not good recording . album is much better.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

one more I can't leave out if you want guitar . Doc Watson is so sweet to the ear. A real icon.

Last edited by ProfessorM; 01-06-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
JackK
Not Jack

Recent kick has been Nickel Creek... Absolutely a shame they're not together right now. I need to find tickets to Punch Brothers in Somerville next week...
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Nickle Creek are awesome too. The mandolin player is a force

Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

I discovered Rhonda Vincent recently - bluegrass/country folk, great voice

She was a prodigy, playing drums in her family band at 5, playing mandolin at 8 and proficient on the fiddle at 10

Her album Ragin' Live with her band The Rage is great and has a killer bluegrass version of the old Dolly Parton song Jolene - but I could only find one sort of reasonable homegrown clip of Youtube of her rendition of it

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

hey crafty welcome back. we missed you here.

thanks for Rhonda , good stuff.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #15
Slingah

I like that Rhonda too....

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Canalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
Flatpicking done well is a thing of beauty.
I understand the set in your ways. It was the repetition that killed it for me. I'm the short attention span theater marque idol...
I just can't set aside time and money for lessons anymore so I have to figure it out myself or move on!

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
Canalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
as you already know how I feel about Tony Rice. He is the best bluegrass guitar player there is IMO. I just luv his sound and style. It really sucked we missed him at the show we attended a few years ago.

Yes that was a shame, but I love the discs you've burned for me. And I did learn about Seldom Scene at that show and now I have seen them a few times since and bought a bunch of their albums.

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
Canalman

Greta and I heard Del Mccoury on the radio back in August and loved it! I just ordered 2 new grass Cds and a Del Mccoury on Amazon. Thanks Paul!

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 01-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #19
Canalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
I discovered Rhonda Vincent recently - bluegrass/country folk, great voice

She was a prodigy, playing drums in her family band at 5, playing mandolin at 8 and proficient on the fiddle at 10

Her album Ragin' Live with her band The Rage is great and has a killer bluegrass version of the old Dolly Parton song Jolene - but I could only find one sort of reasonable homegrown clip of Youtube of her rendition of it

Damn! Love that too, goodbye credit card!

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

new grass was a band my uncle took me to many years ago and tony rice too. . He has been a fan for a long time and got me hooked even though I was into rockish music then I knew those guys were real musicians and had real talent. The new grass is kind of how I like my bluegrass played. Bela looks so young there. The tales from the Acoustic planet Bela did a few years ago is another great album with many greats on it. He did 2 of them. I got both of those if I have not given them to you yet. Maybe we can do a swap if you go to too cold nite, or thru mail if not. I would like copies of what you just ordered today if possible when you get some time.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
Canalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
new grass was a band my uncle took me to many years ago and tony rice too. . He has been a fan for a long time and got me hooked even though I was into rockish music then I knew those guys were real musicians and had real talent. The new grass is kind of how I like my bluegrass played. Bela looks so young there. The tales from the Acoustic planet Bela did a few years ago is another great album with many greats on it. He did 2 of them. I got both of those if I have not given them to you yet. Maybe we can do a swap if you go to too cold nite, or thru mail if not. I would like copies of what you just ordered today if possible when you get some time.
I will be glad to make you copies. Working on the paint task for you too, I just have to get back in touch with my uncle.

-Dave

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #22
chrisjoe13

Here's some more Doc from the 1963 folk fest in Newport. He's out of control, sounds like at least two guys.

chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #23
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Doc is so easy to listen to. Not the most technical guy there ever was but just so smooth and perfect.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #24
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Thanks for the Doc Watson Paul .. not familar with alot of this stuff ,, but can appreciate the pickin .. Love it .. a song about a horse .(Tennesee Stud). wonder how old that song is ? ,, kind of but not really like the Beach Boys singing about cars .. Love the Rhonda Vincent and Tony Rice ,, wicked talents ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Live beauty

Old 01-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #26
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

this one too. Norman Blake is someone to check out too

Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #27
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

don't sleep on this guy

Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #28
basswipe

If you're on a bluegrass kick I recommend ANYTHING Alison Krauss and Union Station.You'll never be the same hearing her voice,Jerry Douglas and the rest of the band.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #29
Canalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
If you're on a bluegrass kick I recommend ANYTHING Alison Krauss and Union Station.You'll never be the same hearing her voice,Jerry Douglas and the rest of the band.
Actually, I was first introduced to Allison Krauss when I was 16, she sang a song with Phish on their 1994 album "Hoist" she does have a beautiful voice.

Here's the song, (kind of a lame video montage and not bluegrass, but worth a listen!)

Official S-B Sponsor