Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #31
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
For me the issue is that he said it, and whether intended or not, it became public news.

For me it is not an issue. I am not of his brand of religion, nor do I wish to constrain how he expresses it, so long as his pursuit of happiness doesn't deny me mine.

His non-Christian constituents may perceive that they may not be treated the same as the "brothers and sisters" that are Christian.

He was schmoozing his base. Politicians are always in campaign mode. Like any "good" politician, I assume he'll say something different when he addresses a non-Christian audience. Or, he might actually be a true believer and will always speak this way. Then, of course, he should immediately be thrown out of office. Anyone who is dumb enough to speak the truth in politics, cannot be trusted to govern. And we know how those Christians are out to trample our freedoms.

Doesn't matter if it was said in church or on the town square. Everything said in front of more than a handful of people, especially strangers, is going to become public if there's anything remotely controversial.

Every politician must make statements of political intent to get elected. One man's political intent is a threat to another man's opposite political desire. The opposition will always twist those statements into negative pretzels. All statements, in politics, are controversial, positive or negative. It's the risk of political speech. I prefer the pol who speaks his intentions truly and freely to the smoothy who tells you what you want to hear. As for Bentley, his constituents have his term in office to determine how he treats non-Christians. Then they can vote. But to demand that he immediately be thrown out of office becuase he told his religious bretheren that they were his brothers and sisters, and that those that didn't believe in Christ were not, but that he would like to be their brother--this is a more controversial and dangerous demand than what Bentley said.

Remember, perception is reality.
Only for those whose perception is clear and not fogged over by rhetorical nonsense. For the rest, reality is more like an apparition

Last edited by detbuch; 01-19-2011 at 03:06 PM..
Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #32
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Only for those whose perception is clear and not fogged over by rhetorical nonsense. For the rest, reality is more like an apparition
You sound a lot like Spence.

Seriously, this is a pretty big deal because the media made it one. Front page MSN stuff. You know as well as anyone that people are going to read the headlines and pass judgement based on what they read. Doesn't make it right, but it's how people are. You may use critical thinking (now I'm using Spencisms) when looking at something like this and dismiss it as nothing more than a politician targeting a specific group to get their vote. Most people don't put as much thought into things, especially all those dumbass rednecks down in the buttcrack of America (now I'm using JohnnyDisms).

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #33
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I thought hypocrisy was reserved for the libs but you guys have proven me wrong.
If that was a muslim that said it, you'd be freakin out.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #34
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I thought hypocrisy was reserved for the libs but you guys have proven me wrong.
If that was a muslim that said it, you'd be freakin out.
I just went back and re-read one of the articles about this. This guy said that those who belive in Jesus are his brothers and sisters. He added that wants those who don't believe in Jseus to become his brothers and sisters. Now I don't think he really wants everyone to convert to Christianity, but it sure sounds that way. He really stepped in the dog poop.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #35
detbuch

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You sound a lot like Spence.

Thanks. But I can't even hope to achieve the Spencerian mythos of THE CENTER. I have the fundamental flaw of attaching to a specific point in space and time. The CENTER eludes me as it constantly shifts leftward into the nirvana of political perfection.

Seriously, this is a pretty big deal because the media made it one. Front page MSN stuff. You know as well as anyone that people are going to read the headlines and pass judgement based on what they read. Doesn't make it right, but it's how people are. You may use critical thinking (now I'm using Spencisms) when looking at something like this and dismiss it as nothing more than a politician targeting a specific group to get their vote. Most people don't put as much thought into things, especially all those dumbass rednecks down in the buttcrack of America (now I'm using JohnnyDisms).
That's true. Probably why those smartass bluenecks in the egghead center of America keep voting for the Barney Franks, and Kerrys, etc. But, since the regions have their peculiarities, what MSN thinks is a big deal might not impress the buttcrackers, and what Bentley says to them is, in its way, comparable to what Franks says to the Eastern airheads, and Bentley may shock the MSNers and get re-elected. Of course, the MSNers would prefer Jimmy's demand that he immediately be thrown out of office.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #36
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
That's true. Probably why those smartass bluenecks in the egghead center of America keep voting for the Barney Franks, and Kerrys, etc. But, since the regions have their peculiarities, what MSN thinks is a big deal might not impress the buttcrackers, and what Bentley says to them is, in its way, comparable to what Franks says to the Eastern airheads, and Bentley may shock the MSNers and get re-elected. Of course, the MSNers would prefer Jimmy's demand that he immediately be thrown out of office.
yup, me and the MSNers see eye to eye.

uhhhh.......ok

BTW - read an article last week on Eric Holder. there was some crime against a black kid, maybe in georgia and holder dropped everything to go down there. His office stated something like " Mr Holder, as black man, thought it was important for him to be there" .
My immediate thought? He should be thrown out. he is making decisions based on race. He is showing preferential treatment to a case based on race, illegal.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #37
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
yup, me and the MSNers see eye to eye.

uhhhh.......ok

BTW - read an article last week on Eric Holder. there was some crime against a black kid, maybe in georgia and holder dropped everything to go down there. His office stated something like " Mr Holder, as black man, thought it was important for him to be there" .
My immediate thought? He should be thrown out. he is making decisions based on race. He is showing preferential treatment to a case based on race, illegal.
The difference between Holder and Bentley, at this point, is that Holder is politically ACTING preferentially. Until Bentley does, there is no comparison here.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
The difference between Holder and Bentley, at this point, is that Holder is politically ACTING preferentially. Until Bentley does, there is no comparison here.
that is true.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #39
Chesapeake Bill

Connecticut and Massachusetts have a higher percentage of degrees. Perhaps it is true that public servants bring wealth in those states! LOL Maybe that's why they deserve so much higher pay...or maybe they are brothers and sisters,,,
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #40
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
Connecticut and Massachusetts have a higher percentage of degrees. Perhaps it is true that public servants bring wealth in those states! LOL Maybe that's why they deserve so much higher pay...or maybe they are brothers and sisters,,,
Evidence that overpaid public servants "bring" wealth to an area? You know, as opposed to exploiting that wealth by leveraging a stranglehold on services through their contracts and bloated Union demands.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #41
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Evidence that overpaid public servants "bring" wealth to an area? You know, as opposed to exploiting that wealth by leveraging a stranglehold on services through their contracts and bloated Union demands.
JD speaks the way it is. I've lost a few contracts this year this at the DoD level. Influence as a 'paid' consultant.