Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-18-2005, 05:45 AM   #31
Flaptail

Oh yeah baby!

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:52 AM   #32
Flaptail

Tagger, the ones he gave me are I dentical in size and body shape to the #7434, 7-1/4 inches long 2-1/2 ounces +/- a smidge on the weight.

Why even try.........
Old 03-31-2005, 11:59 AM   #33
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Flaptail, was he testing any of the medium surfsters? I was wondering how you need to attach these plugs to the line. I have a medium one and I used a breakaway clip when testing it. I was not impressed with the action, there was wiggle but there also was alot of roll to the plug. For 22 bucks I would think it could swim a little better. Maybe I got a bad one or it needs tweaking. I was thinking about changing the hooks to VMC also, I don't know what's with the mustads but for that kind of coin maybe VMC hooks should be included. Very pretty paint jobs though We'll see if it catches.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #34
Flaptail

Talking

Slip, he was and everything he had swam great. He tweaked the eye loops on some and that made all the difference. Try that and the ones he generously gave me have VMC'S on 'em.

Why even try.........
Old 03-31-2005, 09:45 PM   #35
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot
Flaptail, was he testing any of the medium surfsters? I was wondering how you need to attach these plugs to the line. I have a medium one and I used a breakaway clip when testing it. I was not impressed with the action, there was wiggle but there also was alot of roll to the plug. For 22 bucks I would think it could swim a little better. Maybe I got a bad one or it needs tweaking. I was thinking about changing the hooks to VMC also, I don't know what's with the mustads but for that kind of coin maybe VMC hooks should be included. Very pretty paint jobs though We'll see if it catches.

Slip ,you are a plug builder right ?And you cant "tweak" a plug on your own? Come on ,tell us what it really on your mind
I bought a bunnch of 7/8 and 1 1/2 ounce last year and i never had it roll on me.
I have to agree with Flap here .
But maybe your was operator error ?

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:58 PM   #36
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Say whatever you want Zeno. Ya I make plugs but I never said I was an expert and I am not good at tweaking them, that's why I have friends like Steve and bassmaster. My friends help me out. What did you think I had on my mind? I'm not getting it.

I did not say it rolled over.
I'll be sure to try it again and report back just as soon as I can. There wasn't any for sale around here last year so I missed out I guess, your lucky you got some, good going. How did they fish? catch anything with them?
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:07 PM   #37
Zeno

I found them outstanding although I got them towards the year end.Some days in Montauk ,when fish were fussy they outfished every other plug by miles.At one point I believe I had sixteen or seventeen bass in the row on the 7/8 plug ,the darn hooks were mangled so bad I had to bend them back after each fish.
I do think they are better used in calmer water than up front as big atom or big Danny's are.You cannot work these darn things slow enough .......but you can go too fast with them.Paint job is nice but is the action that catch a fish.

Unfortunately @%#@$# toothy bastards eessed: took all that I had for a year

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #38
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Slip I did real well with them on a few days/nights that we ran into a few pods of mullet on our southern beaches.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:54 PM   #39
NIB

sounds like they are alot like some other cupped lipped lures like wades.They work great in calm water but as the surf builds I'll switch of to a danny. i haven't really got to makin many though.I like to make a bigger plug with that kinda action.Its in the works.I don't think the size is as important as the action.ZZZZZZZ I hate bluefish.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #40
BassAssasin
-------------

They work in conditions other than flat water. I have seen them hold in strong current like the PP canal when it was ripping hard.
BassAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote