Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
scottw

hoax

well, this entire presidency can go in the category of "hoax" but Krauthammer points out the new path to continuing the hoax which will be taken by "the ONE"....can't wait for the commercials redux...granny complaining that republicans want to "take away my social security and make me eat catfood"....guess they figure..it worked before....Spence, please pay special attention to the part which addresses your claim of the Trust Fund and it's actual existence...or not...

Obama?s Social Security Hoax - Charles Krauthammer - National Review Online
Old 03-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Spence, please pay special attention to the part which addresses your claim of the Trust Fund and it's actual existence...or not...
There's nothing he says that contradicts my previous statements. I've never argued that the US balance sheet is healthy.

As for a hoax, I don't see our previous Administration behaving much differently. Perhaps they were a hoax as well.

-spence
Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
There's nothing he says that contradicts my previous statements. I've never argued that the US balance sheet is healthy.

As for a hoax, I don't see our previous Administration behaving much differently. Perhaps they were a hoax as well.

-spence
And all along i'm thinkin Al Gore was holdin the "locked box" full of
cash in his own safe.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:

-spence

[QUOTE=spence;837691]Again, you don't seem to know what you're talking about. By law the SS trust must be invested in interest bearing securities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit
The problem with the Social Security Trust Fund is the government has been borrowing trillions of dollars
from it since 1942 with the borrowing sky rocketingfrom the 70's on.

Quote:
Not sure that's really accurate. There's a lot of money in the trust on paper, but it's invested in the US and shows up as debt.

The problem isn't as much SS as it is overall fiscal health.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Quote:
I think it's mostly about increasing costs and demographic changes. Also, as the funds excess shrinks they can't benefit from interest income.

SS can be fixed, it's Medicare that's the biggest problem.

-spence
.................................................. ..

"There's a lot of money in the trust on worthless paper"...your claims are directly contradicted by the article......

" The OMB explained that these trust-fund “balances” are nothing more than a “bookkeeping” device. “They do not consist of real economic assets (NOT-"but it's invested in the US and shows up as debt -Spence") that can be drawn down in the future to fund benefits.”

Special they are: They are worthless. As the OMB explained, they are nothing more than “claims on the Treasury [i.e., promises] that, when redeemed [when you retire and are awaiting your check], will have to be financed by raising taxes, borrowing from the public, or reducing benefits or other expenditures.” That’s what it means to have a so-called trust fund with no “real economic assets".

Bottom line? The OMB again: “The existence of large trust fund balances, therefore, does not, by itself, have any impact on the government’s ability to pay benefits.” No impact: The lockbox, the balances, the little pieces of paper, amount to nothing.

Last edited by scottw; 03-13-2011 at 05:33 AM..
Old 03-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
spence

I for one don't find our country to be worthless. If you do that's fine by me...

-spence
Old 03-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
I for one don't find our country to be worthless. If you do that's fine by me...

-spence
in other words, you were wrong... that's ok...I forgive you
Old 03-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
in other words, you were wrong... that's ok...I forgive you
No, not at all. While our fiscal health isn't great it's not like we're about to blow up tomorrow.

Of course if they don't raise the debt ceiling and we start defaulting on our loans things might change.

-spence