Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
striperman36
Old Guy

American Intervention in Libya

Seeing alot of calls for American Intervention in Liyba

Why U.S. must intervene in Libya - CNN.com

Kinda scary, is this war #4 ?

Gadhafi could end up nuking the whole region . Isn't that what some ancient seer said too?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Gadhafi could end up nuking the whole region .
Might not be such a bad thing.............

Let's do what China is doing. Stay out of it and put the money to our own resources. They are beefing up their military big time. 12% increase in spend this year.

Too bad Reagan didn't get Gadafi in the 80's when they bombed him....

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Nebe

OIL.. that is why we would intervene.. If they didnt have oil, we could care less about that patch of sand..
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
OIL.. that is why we would intervene.. If they didnt have oil, we could care less about that patch of sand..
We have oil too, not that it is available to use right now or even in the next few years.............

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Not disagreeing. If the Israel's had some we'd ignore the rest of them sand squatters too. Whole lot of oil in the gulf of Mexico, we're ignoring that.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Piscator

Maybe we can all call Joe and ask the "good people of Venezuela" will help us out...............

sorry guys, in a pissy mood tonight, buried with work!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Maybe we can all call Joe and ask the "good people of Venezuela" will help us out...............

sorry guys, in a pissy mood tonight, buried with work!

And diapers!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Nebe,,, no disrespect but China gets WAAAAAAAY more oil from Libya than we do,,,
Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Piscator

Quote:
And diapers!!!!
didn't want to complain about that......................but

Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
Nebe,,, no disrespect but China gets WAAAAAAAY more oil from Libya than we do,,,
2 pct of the global crude comes out of libya

In a speech earlier this week, Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of Colonel Muammer Gaddafi, warned that in the event of a civil war, Libya’s oil wealth would be “burned”. In a terse announcement, CNPC said it was in the process of evacuating its 391 Chinese employees from the country and had already repatriated 24 of them. Contacted by phone, CNPC confirmed the attack but did not provide details, saying that it was still waiting for the latest news out of Libya." Unfortunately, as we first suggested three days ago, it is now only a matter of time before the Libyan madman decides to set his oilfields on fire in recreation of Saddam's parting gift to Kuwait, as retaliation against the world

Brent Touches $120 Overnight After Chinese Oil Facilities In Libya Attacked, Bombay Stock Market Plunges | zero hedge
Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
true, although i did not know that. Something to consider is this- China owns a ton of our debt. We pretty much cant pay it back. China has nukes pointed at us. China has us by the balls pretty much. They tolerate us because we buy all the crap they make.. but what China wants, China gets. Guess who got first dibs into the Iraqi oil fields after we cleared up the mess a few years ago... You would think we would have as we did all the work right?? NOPE.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
striperman36
Old Guy

china owns 1.2 trillion in US bonds.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...uments/mfh.txt
Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
Nebe

Quote:
china owns 1.2 trillion in US bonds.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...uments/mfh.txt
Right. That is one way that we fund our national debt. What happens when they want to cash them in?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
striperman36
Old Guy

it's a little scary that's like 20 pct of the chinese gdp and it's on like 1 - 2 pct of the US GDP.

And reduce their #2 trading partner to a junk bond dealer?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
Piscator

Quote:
2 pct of the global crude comes out of libya

In a speech earlier this week, Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of Colonel Muammer Gaddafi, warned that in the event of a civil war, Libya’s oil wealth would be “burned”. In a terse announcement, CNPC said it was in the process of evacuating its 391 Chinese employees from the country and had already repatriated 24 of them. Contacted by phone, CNPC confirmed the attack but did not provide details, saying that it was still waiting for the latest news out of Libya." Unfortunately, as we first suggested three days ago, it is now only a matter of time before the Libyan madman decides to set his oilfields on fire in recreation of Saddam's parting gift to Kuwait, as retaliation against the world

Brent Touches $120 Overnight After Chinese Oil Facilities In Libya Attacked, Bombay Stock Market Plunges | zero hedge
China will sit back and let us go in there to take care of their oil fields............

Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #16
striperman36
Old Guy

I still think if he was faced with nothing he'd waste the entire old field.
Wonder if he has any nukes as the last resort
Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
true, although i did not know that. Something to consider is this- China owns a ton of our debt. We pretty much cant pay it back. China has nukes pointed at us. China has us by the balls pretty much. They tolerate us because we buy all the crap they make.. but what China wants, China gets. Guess who got first dibs into the Iraqi oil fields after we cleared up the mess a few years ago... You would think we would have as we did all the work right?? NOPE.
agreed,,,,, I still think we need to take the back burner on this one,,,
Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #18
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I think the Euros should do this one. Their backyard. Lets see if they can accomplish ANYTHING on their own beyond pontificating and having the USA do the heavy work.

Quote:

China has us by the shorties because we allow them too.

China owns a ton of our debt but rash moves on their part can weaken them as well. Pretty bad for a drugdealer to slash his dopers throats for less than significant gain. Any precipitous slide could wreak havoc on them too. They have our debt because we pay for their expansion with our spending, we allow our government to spend more than we take in and China buys a big peace of it. One day, they will decide they can perhaps survive a crash enough by taking us down financially. We will be SunTzu'd.

China Nukes: Would be a problem for us, it would be all over for them. There is a significant imbalance here - in our favor (will, on the other hand).

Iraq oil fields - yes, China got 'em. Remember all the ranting on how Bush did it just for the oil? Such a clamor that they had to backtrack and allow "anyone" to go in and purchase rights. Kinda wish the Bush Admin was a little more unilateral now, eh?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Arrow

Quote:
Right. That is one way that we fund our national debt. What happens when they want to cash them in?
Treasury bond prices will drop sharply (on the selling pressure), driving bond yields (the percentage discount to maturity) sharply up.

As these notes are denominated in U.S. dollars, the massive flood of U.S. government bond selling will weaken the dollar (even though yields/interest rates are going up).

We will have a double whammy of high interest rates (which will choke off borrowing and therefore slow the economy down) and massive inflation on whatever we have to import, like oil.

So, imagine getting a mortgage at 30%, or a credit card at 50% APR.

Then, paying $20 a gallon for gas, and God knows what for food and healthcare.

It will be a disaster of epic proportions, and we have our government and ourselves to blame for this.

Unless we swap California for our outstanding debts. LOL.

You might be interested to know that China is already trying to sell or trade its U.S. bond holdings for tangible assets (like oilfields and shipping companies).

Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
Nebe

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #21
Bronko

The only way to make these problems go away is to host another giant tribute to Mowtown at the Whitehouse and then shoot out the back door to play another round of golf.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpoopoo View Post
Treasury bond prices will drop sharply (on the selling pressure), driving bond yields (the percentage discount to maturity) sharply up.

As these notes are denominated in U.S. dollars, the massive flood of U.S. government bond selling will weaken the dollar (even though yields/interest rates are going up).

We will have a double whammy of high interest rates (which will choke off borrowing and therefore slow the economy down) and massive inflation on whatever we have to import, like oil.

So, imagine getting a mortgage at 30%, or a credit card at 50% APR.

Then, paying $20 a gallon for gas, and God knows what for food and healthcare.

It will be a disaster of epic proportions, and we have our government and ourselves to blame for this.

Unless we swap California for our outstanding debts. LOL.

You might be interested to know that China is already trying to sell or trade its U.S. bond holdings for tangible assets (like oilfields and shipping companies).
but....that would screw china as well since we're one of their biggest customers. They wouldnt gain from it.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #23
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
but....that would screw china as well since we're one of their biggest customers. They wouldnt gain from it.
Not for long. As other nations westernize like India, and china, we will become less important.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Not for long. As other nations westernize like India, and china, we will become less important.
Those countries have higher standards, dont underestimate our dependancy on plastic garbage.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #25
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Yes, but that doesn't address the main issue that their $1 trillion + in treasury holdings, denominated in U.S. dollars, is losing value, and there is no way we are ever going to pay them back.

Over the long run, there are those who believe that China's emerging middle class (about 300 MM right now) will being to consume more stuff. They are going to be the world's biggest customers.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #26
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

sorry for taking thread off-topic.

Libya sucks.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #27
JohnnyD

Quote:
Gadhafi could end up nuking the whole region . Isn't that what some ancient seer said too?
What's do the Middle East and Hiroshima have in common??

Nothing... yet.