Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Sea Flat

Spinning reel for casting to tuna

I enjoy running and gunning around for tuna. To be honest, in the past I have gone out way undergunned. My wife got me a gift certificate to a local tackle shop. I was thinking of getting the Fin-Nor Offshore 85, but someone recently told me that I would have to change out the drag after 2 fish or so. Is this right? Are there other reels that are in a similar price range that are better than the Fin-Nor Offshore? Obviously, if money were no object I would just get a Stella, but I can not justify spending that $$ on a reel when i only target tuna 5-10 times a year.

Thanks in advance.

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
MrHunters
What was that!?!

I love my spheros, and though I can't say it's hooked up with any tuna yet THIS IS THE YEAR!!

It's stood up to monster bass on the bank, and 5+ ft blue sharks.
Drags are still good after 3 seasons.
Shimano SP14000FB Spheros FB Spinning Reels
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Goose

950S is another cheap way out
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
fishsmith
DDG-51

Here's a good link on spinning set-ups -

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ing-setup.html

I've got the Fin-Nor OF 95, it's price and line capacity sold me, but it doesn't have a tuna yet either, only bass and blues on it's 'caught' list.

as a side note -

I'm not sure who here gave the tip to put a swivel at the end of the flouro leader to save $$ when changing lures, but when I find out, they'll get my nomination for for 'S-B dot COM 2010 Angler of the Year'
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

another Fin Nor 9500.
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Fishracks

I fish with a Fin-nor OFS 95 and not any problems so far other than the fact that it is a heavy clunky reel the drag is very smooth, I'm with you i can not justify spending $750 on a spinning reel for another $300 i can get a Tiagra 130A

Last edited by Fishracks; 02-10-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Fishracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsmith View Post
I'm not sure who here gave the tip to put a swivel at the end of the flouro leader to save $$ when changing lures, but when I find out, they'll get my nomination for for 'S-B dot COM 2010 Angler of the Year'
What swivel?
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I'm going to give the Saragossa 18000 a try, seems like good potential. I heard Moses uses one.

At BassPro compared with the Fin-Nor and this was much more comfortable and smoother.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
fish4striper

With the size of the fish showing up this year, all the reels listed could potentially be smoked but give it a shot. They're all in the same range. Order an extra set of drag washers from smooth drag to be ready if it happens.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
JackK
Not Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4striper View Post
With the size of the fish showing up this year, all the reels listed could potentially be smoked but give it a shot. They're all in the same range. Order an extra set of drag washers from smooth drag to be ready if it happens.
Yep. As of now, the early CCB fish will likely be illegal if the no-giants policy is in effect... And they won't be that much fun to tackle on spin. I think the fin-nor will be a fine choice for the smaller fish that come in later, though.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
Sea Flat

Thanks for the great advice guys I really appreciate. I think I am going to look at a few reels that you have suggested and see how they feel and do a price/feel analysis. I have fished with a friends Fin-nor Offshore before and we hooked up to a huge fish last year, definitely one that would have had to have been put back. The fish eventually broke off after 20 minutes or so, but I thought the reel did great in the fight. I do agree it is a big clunky thing though.

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #12
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

I have landed 70" fish on a Saltist 6500 and know a few charter guys who use them also. Also have used the FinNor 95 with similar results. The Van Staal 300 frequents CCB and the Bank as does the Stella 20000. The last 2 reels are pricey in comparison. Like said above if last years year class comes back strong the spinning reels will be obsolete for most anglers. Plus fighting a tuna for 2 or 3+ hours ruins the meat and in all probability kills the fish if you release it. The quicker the fight the better tasting meat and if releasing survival rates skyrocket. Good luck.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
fishsmith
DDG-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunters View Post
What swivel?
oops, I meant to say split ring.

at the end of the floro leader (i use 80lb), crimp a small loop w/ protective sleeve and a strong split ring. Using the split ring, lures can be changed w/out cutting line.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
buckman

The Fin- Nor drag can handle tuna...once. Then the washers need replacing. Saltist are better just don't try reeling under a full load. We stripped the worm gear on a first fish. Big tuna will beat up any reel. Plenty oif smaller fish out there. Funny the undersize fish alwats hit the bait on the big reels but the spinners always hook the larger fish in the school.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The Fin- Nor drag can handle tuna...once. Then the washers need replacing. Saltist are better just don't try reeling under a full load. We stripped the worm gear on a first fish. Big tuna will beat up any reel. Plenty oif smaller fish out there. Funny the undersize fish alwats hit the bait on the big reels but the spinners always hook the larger fish in the school.
I blew up a fin-nor.

Replaced it with a Saragosa.

This $100-200 price line on "tuna" reels is really playing russian roulette.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
I blew up a fin-nor.

Replaced it with a Saragosa.

This $100-200 price line on "tuna" reels is really playing russian roulette.
I agree, but we are in "the worse economy ever inherited". They will get the job done.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Funny the undersize fish alwats hit the bait on the big reels but the spinners always hook the larger fish in the school.
You too, huh?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
Moses

If you have the money, Shimano Stella & Daiwa Dogfight are top of the line, VS 275 a little less $$ but high quality too ((I don't own any).

Shimano Saragossa 18000 - $299 (own one and have taken tuna)

Shimano Spheros 18000 - $179 (own one and have taken tuna)

Fin Nor 7500 - $159 (own one and have taken tuna)

The 7500 is 6-7 oz lighter than the 8500 which makes a big difference and has plenty of line capacity.

None of these reels have failed me but then again the tuna I'm catching are in the 45" - 62" range, nothing larger yet.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #19
Fishracks

Quote:
You need bigger baits 7 to 10 lb blues pick up some nice fish in the 400 to 700 lb range in CCB and the backside My favorite troll rig is a split bill rigged Horse Ballyhoo works awesome
Fishracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #20
Mr. Sandman

All depends on the size of the fish on the other end. For small fish, yes the cheap reels will land you your fish. If on the other hand you hook up with a giant, you stand little to no chance with those cheap reels and you will be running all over the ocean trying to catch up to it.
The drag can not put the pressure you need and will melt down and seize up under long sustained runs. Don't waste your time with surf reels offshore. You need a reel that can put 30-60# of drag and hold up.

The big Stella is my choice for power and comfort and outstanding service. The larger Vanstall/ZeeBaas can do the job as can the Diawa Saltiga (they have a new model this year that looks very nice) and also the twin drag accurate is up to the job. As mentioned above, these are very expensive. If you go 10X per year...IMO you are in the category to get one. They are worth the money and there is a solid market for used ones if you need to unload it.

Some of these reels can put as much drag pressure as a conventional 80 wide.

Every now and again you hear of a breakdown with one of these good reels but it is a rarity. My buddy in Florida had a VanStall seize up after a long run under high drag and the line held for a while but bent the main shaft. The spool wobbled and rubbed on the housing. Basically trashed it. (I think he had a Jewfish or some kind of monster grouper on)

As far as the "fun" factor....While the sound of an 80 wide ripping off line is music to my soul....I love fighting big fish on spinning gear, it is a blast.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #21
big jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsmith View Post
oops, I meant to say split ring.

at the end of the floro leader (i use 80lb), crimp a small loop w/ protective sleeve and a strong split ring. Using the split ring, lures can be changed w/out cutting line.
I do the same thing, but I don't feel comfortable tieing or crimping directly to the split ring (afraid it will chaffe on the rings).

I tie/crimp into a solid ring (or sometimes a swivel) and then use a 150 lb spo split ring to connect the ring to the plug. It really makes changing plugs alot easier, especially when the adrenaline starts flowing with fish blowing up all around.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #22
fish4striper

Profishco grommet/ring

A guy pointed these out on another site. I crimp on one of these , add a quality split ring and change over plugs quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg profish.jpg (2.7 KB, 18 views)
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Thats exactly how I do it also. Makes changing plugs so much more simple and quick.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #24
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
I agree, but we are in "the worse economy ever inherited". They will get the job done.
If the economy is an excuse to use cheap gear, then you don't belong tuna fishing.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #25
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
If the economy is an excuse to use cheap gear, then you don't belong tuna fishing.
You want to compare fishing seasons??
Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #26
massgc

Fight!! Fight!!
massgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #27
Mr. Sandman

Actually I would be in favor of a $2000 tuna permit...this would keep most guys home, esp the guys fishing with crap for equipment in trailered CC's.
It's a big boys sport...can't pay, no play.

just kidding
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #28
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by massgc View Post
Fight!! Fight!!
Nooooo When Likwid comes to the Chiefton I'll buy him a beer and soak in the wisdom.Never to old to learn,although I'm getting close
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #29
Sea Dangles

35 minutes,meat was tasty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluefin 003.jpg (236.2 KB, 23 views)

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #30
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Nooooo When Likwid comes to the Chiefton I'll buy him a beer and soak in the wisdom.Never to old to learn,although I'm getting close
likwid = internet hero

hi ted

I do have a lot of reservations about the popularity of spinfishing decent sized fish.
In the propper hands it can be done right, but....
I am already seeing repots from the NC boys 'went 3 for 13 today, broke off alot of fish on jigs and poppers' or 'ffought a nice fish for 2.5hr before releasing it'...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote