Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #301
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"But isn't that what you do constantly "

No.

"find something that you don't like and apply it to all?"

We've done this dance a few times. Yes, I make generalizations. For example, I might say that librals riot when they don't get their way. Now, I know that not every single liberal in the nation condones this. But the majority of people doing the rioting are obviously liberal, so i take the liberty of saying that "liberals riot when they don't get their way." It's a genaralization, but it's a much more valid generalization (in my opinion, naturally) than saying that "all" Trump supporters are in favor of punching those with whom they disagree, when you are generalizing about, what, 10 people out of millions?So then since I know that not every single conservative in the nation condones it but the majority of people doing the spitting and the sucker punching are obviously conservative should I take the liberty and generalize by saying "conservatives spit on people and sucker punch people when they don't like what those people say"? You're an actuary - both samples are too small to make that generalization. In addition, you generalize and make the obviously wrong assumption that the ones doing the protesting (and yes acting like idiots) are representative of all liberals instead of saying they are a much, much younger aged subset.

"seems like it is the Trump supporters getting arrested for sucker punching people"

I have no problem with that statement. I don't see Hilary or Bernie supporters getting violent at those rallies, but that may be because conservatives aren't protesting like wild animals at those rallies, preventing Hilary or Bernie from speaking, are we?I don't think the ones inside the arena's are acting like animals - maybe the idiots outside are.

Who is getting arrested for killing everybody in Chicago? Criminals areIs that a bigger issue, or a smaller issue, than what 10 drunk morons do at Trump rallies?
nm
Old 03-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #302
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
nm
"should I take the liberty and generalize by saying "conservatives spit on people and sucker punch people when they don't like what those people say"?

No, if you say mean 'most' but say 'all', I have no issue. But what you said here (maybe I mis-read) is that 'all Trump suporters are doing this', when it's literally something like once for each million supporters. If I say "unions vote for democrats", I think I'm a bit closer to being accurate, then you are if you say 'Trump supporters are punching everyone out'.

"both samples are too small to make that generalization"

Not sure. In the case of rioters, just about 100% of them are liberal. I keep asking for examples of conservatives rioting to prevent liberal politicians from speaking, and no one responded, so I assume there are none. But 99.9% of Trump supporters haven't done anything wrong (maybe supporting him is bad enough, I could be convinced of that).

"you generalize and make the obviously wrong assumption that the ones doing the protesting (and yes acting like idiots) are representative of all liberals "

I hear lots of conservatives (LOTS) condemn Trump and the violence at his rallies. I haven't heard a single liberal tell the rioters to knock it off because Trump has the right to free speech. I see th erioters being treated like modern-day Rosa Parks. I calls 'em like I sees 'em.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #303
Raven

i think we should riot
Old 03-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #304
spence

Quote:
Not sure. In the case of rioters, just about 100% of them are liberal. I keep asking for examples of conservatives rioting to prevent liberal politicians from speaking, and no one responded, so I assume there are none. But 99.9% of Trump supporters haven't done anything wrong (maybe supporting him is bad enough, I could be convinced of that).
I think you're asking the wrong question. Is the profile of someone who's more likely to riot about political belief or about disenfranchisement and inequality?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #305
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think you're asking the wrong question. Is the profile of someone who's more likely to riot about political belief or about disenfranchisement and inequality?
Did you see the signs that the protesters in New York were carrying ? Or see the video of the transvestite punching the policeman's horse in the face ?
Curious if these are the type of people that you would let babysit your children because you certainly spend a lot of your time defending them
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #306
scottw

Quote:
what we know from democrats is that mentioning the word riot(if you are a republican) is very bad....but actually rioting(if you are a democrat) is not such a big deal
Old 03-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #307
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yes Spence. The kids at Yale who protested about giving someone else the right to free speech, are disenfranchised and are the victims of inequality. Many of the riots re on college campuses.

Good God man, not your finest speculation.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #308
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
what we know from democrats is that mentioning the word riot(if you are a republican) is very bad....but actually rioting(if you are a democrat) is not such a big deal
Correct. If it was about disenfranchisement, believe me, it would be the white, heterosexual males who would be rioting, after 7 years of Weird Harold blaming us for everything.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #309
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Correct. If it was about disenfranchisement, believe me, it would be the white, heterosexual males who would be rioting, after 7 years of Weird Harold blaming us for everything.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #310
spence

Quote:
Yes Spence. The kids at Yale who protested about giving someone else the right to free speech, are disenfranchised and are the victims of inequality. Many of the riots re on college campuses.
Yes, because some in their formative years are frustrated with what they see as societal disenfranchisement and inequality.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #311
buckman

Quote:
Yes, because some in their formative years are frustrated with what they see as societal disenfranchisement and inequality.
Wait ...what ???
Old 03-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #312
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Wait ...what ???
I think it goes something like this...I am putting on my Spence cap here, so bear with me...

These trust fund babies at Yale are upset about the plight of the poor blacks that they read about when they were at Phillips Exeter Academy (not so frustrated that they are willing to give up their trust funds, naturally). Because they are outraged by this, they go berserk when Ann Coulter wants to give a speech or when a sports team is named after Native Americans or when the value of their trust fund increases with the stock market. And what better way to help eliminate the plight of poor blacks, than by throwing a rock at a random cop, or disrupting a Trump rally.

Liberals who are so outraged at the plight of the poor that they are pushed to the point of throwing rocks at police, are naturally morally superior to conservatives who merely want to adapt economic polices that will help blacks escape poverty.

That was my short trip into the Twilight Zone.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #313
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

"seems like it is the Trump supporters getting arrested for sucker punching people"
https://youtu.be/3Lgeuqv35OM

Last edited by scottw; 03-21-2016 at 11:36 PM..
Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #314
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Great video
Great points made
I hope the media does show all the stuff he mentioned, but apparently it does not fit their sgenda much like you don't see anything of the 4 illegals beating and raping in Framingham last week.

My thoughts on the protesting are if they are this bad now, I can't imagine what it will be like when he is President for the next 4 years.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #315
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post

My thoughts on the protesting are if they are this bad now, I can't imagine what it will be like when he is President for the next 4 years.
Not when. IF.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #316
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wait ...what ???
Hey, you need to check your "Privilege"!!

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #317
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Hey, you need to check your "Privilege"!!
After my 10 hr day, I will get right on that . I need to work on my compassion
Old 03-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #318
buckman

Maybe we need to back off on this Trump phenomenon before someone gets really hurt ..

Emory University offers 'emergency counseling' to students after they were 'traumatized' when someone wrote "Trump 2016" in chalk around campus...
Old 03-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #319
Jim in CT

Quote:
Maybe we need to back off on this Trump phenomenon before someone gets really hurt ..

Emory University offers 'emergency counseling' to students after they were 'traumatized' when someone wrote "Trump 2016" in chalk around campus...
I saw at! Amazing. You see a message that says "Trump 2016", and that causes you to need emergency counseling. Have fun in the real world, cupcake!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #320
Nebe

Lol
Old 03-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #321
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #322
buckman

I think he really screwed up on Mathews abortion question . Really stupid for allowing himself to be played like that . He should have just said President's don't make laws or set penalties , they uphold the law , something the current President doesn't do .
Old 03-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #323
Nebe

He doesn't want to actually win, so you will see him start saying REALLY crazy things in the coming month/months.... this is all just a stunt.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #324
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
I think he really screwed up on Mathews abortion question . Really stupid for allowing himself to be played like that . He should have just said President's don't make laws or set penalties , they uphold the law , something the current President doesn't do .
Sadly, he has made other extreme upgefuchts on NatSec/ForPol issues for months now. His few advisors are lame and some have questionable connections. And he rarely consults them. I know/follow a few wonks that have worked with Romney and Rubio and they are crying in their beer over this guy.

I think Spence has a better foreign policy grasp and awareness than does DT (not a dig on Spence) even though I rarely agree with him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
He doesn't want to actually win, so you will see him start saying REALLY crazy things in the coming month/months.... this is all just a stunt.
Could be.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #325
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Sadly, he has made other extreme upgefuchts on NatSec/ForPol issues for months now. His few advisors are lame and some have questionable connections.

We was asked this last night at the town hall and gave a squirrelly answer that he'll be telling everyone who his advisors are soon.

I liked his answer a week or so ago; he consults himself because he has a 'good brain'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinky-and-the-brain-flag-wallpaper-2560x1600-large2.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	62708  

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #326
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
he's definitely enjoying himself
Old 03-31-2016, 08:05 PM   #327
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

I liked his answer a week or so ago; he consults himself because he has a 'good brain'
Well, at least he's one up on the Scarecrow....he'll need that when he goes up against the Wicked Witch of the West

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."