Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #31
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
But NONE of it would have gotten legs had there not been the public health concern (high levels of mercury if I remember correctly.) The powers that be didn't do it for the bass, they did it for the humans who were too stupid to stop eating poisonous meat.
In the Hudson, it was PCBs from an old GE plant on the river. NY version of DMF came up with some ludicrous "demarcation" line based on some half-assed theory that Hudson fish didn't migrate past a line drawn from Wading River to Smith Point, so there was no commercial fishing allowed west of that line. It was done to allow Billy Joel's favorite persecuted gang, the East End Baymen, to continue commercial harvest.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #32
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Serious question: Why does everyone point the finger at the commercial sector? The ten percenters?

When the actual numbers of counted dead fish from Mrip reports are Ninety Percent higher.
90/10 recreational dead fish verses commercial dead fish.

What if the numbers were 60/40, you would still point the finger at the commercial fisherman?

What if they were 50/50? Would you accept 50% of the blame then?

A million pounds sounds like a lot, but what about the other NINE MILLION pounds of dead fish from recreational anglers?

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #33
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Serious question: Why does everyone point the finger at the commercial sector? The ten percenters?

When the actual numbers of counted dead fish from Mrip reports are Ninety Percent higher.

What if the numbers were 60/40, you would still point the finger at the commercial fisherman?

A million pounds sounds like a lot, but what about the other NINE MILLION pounds of dead fish from recreational anglers?
Not everyone! I for one have been saying for years that it's not the legal commercial guys by any extent of the imagination and have written on this very subject repeatedly. I add the word 'legal' commercial as once you cross the line then you are no longer a commercial, you're a poacher. Same hold true for recreational.

It's the easy answer to point a finger and say it's the other guy, he needs to change while I keep on doing my thing; it's human nature, really.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #34
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Point at everyone at this point, we all are responsible, I don’t target them and have yet to catch but a few schoolies while targeting sea bass. Regardless of the reasoning behind FL success it’s a pattern we could follow, game fish and smart slot limits.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #35
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post

10 4 on that...

But I still don’t like the idea of adding additional days to catch what ain’t there to begin with....

Albies is another story!! LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote