Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Trump and his taxes

The media, and Hilary, are attacking Trump for not paying more taxes than he legally owes. Who the hell does he think he is, flagrantly obeying our laws like this! The nerve of the guy!

For all the liberal whining on this issue, I have never seen evidence that any of them pay more than they legally owe. Most Americans don't want a POTUS dumb enough to donate money to the US government.

If your accountant told you tomorrow, "Congratulations! I figured out a way for you to avoid paying any income tax!" you would do exactly what I would do, and everyone else would do: kiss your accountant flush on the lips and not pay taxes.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Fishpart
Keep The Change

How about an audit of the books for the Clinton Foundation?

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 10-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
spence

What if it wasn't legal? From what I've read Trump's real estate projects in the early 1990's were funded mostly by banks, not out of pocket cash, which would make a personal 916 million $ loss very difficult to obtain. Perhaps Trump was claiming other losses as real estate given his business venture was doing pretty poorly.

So Trump leverages heavily, makes terrible business decisions, screws his creditors and uses the scam to benefit personally at the taxpayer expense.

Why anyone would want to look into this is beyond me
Old 10-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
How about an audit of the books for the Clinton Foundation?
You could start here.

https://www.clintonfoundation.org/ab...ancial-reports
Old 10-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What if it wasn't legal? From what I've read Trump's real estate projects in the early 1990's were funded mostly by banks, not out of pocket cash, which would make a personal 916 million $ loss very difficult to obtain. Perhaps Trump was claiming other losses as real estate given his business venture was doing pretty poorly.

So Trump leverages heavily, makes terrible business decisions, screws his creditors and uses the scam to benefit personally at the taxpayer expense.

"What if it wasn't legal?"

Then there's a mechanism to deal with that. It's called the IRS, and federal prison. As of today, he hasn't been charged with anything, correct?

So now it's OK to penalize people (at least Republicans) when there's a chance, according to somebody, they broke the law?

"uses the scam "

The 'scam' as you refer to it, is US tax code. Obama has had 8 years to propose changes to it. If there are gross inadequacies, I wonder why he didn't fix them, especially when his party controlled both houses of Congress?
Old 10-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
buckman

Quote:

The way the law works back then was if he took out a $999 million loan and put 1 million down himself . If the project folded and the bank lost 999 million he was also allowed to claim that $999 million loss .
He could even spread that loss over a number of years and avoid paying federal tax.
Sounds crazy but it's more proof that the system is rigged and needs major change .
The banks got bailed out....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
PaulS

Quote:
Where are the illegalities in the Clinton foundation? What laws have they broken? There has to be something!

We know that Trump used his unregistered foundation to pay his debts and fund his lifestyle yet somehow I've missed the thread here about it.

There can't be a double standard, can there?
Old 10-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:

Would these be from before our after the refiling due to, err, eroneous information?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Would these be from before our after the refiling due to, err, eroneous information?
You don't think most large organizations are constantly refiling because of small errors and oversights?

Perhaps you should post the meme showing 85% of CF money doesn't go to charity
Old 10-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Where are the illegalities in the Clinton foundation? What laws have they broken? There has to be something!

We know that Trump used his unregistered foundation to pay his debts and fund his lifestyle yet somehow I've missed the thread here about it.

There can't be a double standard, can there?
"are the illegalities in the Clinton foundation? "

None that I'm aware of.

But if she makes the bullsh*t claim that my side hates women and gays, it's fair to point out that her foundation does an AWFUL lot of business with powerful folks in the Mideast, places that last time I checked, aren't exactly friendly to women or gays. And some of that money is used to lavish the Clintons, and their friends, with fine travel and accommodations, and in some cases, her cronies get nice salaries from that foundation.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
wdmso

Chris Christie There’s no one who’s shown more genius in their way to maneuver around the tax code,” and Rudy Giuliani

"The reality is, this is part of our tax code. The man's a genius. He knows how to operate the tax code to the benefit of the people he's serving,

Mitt Romney had privately derided 47 percent of Americans as shiftless individuals who could not be bothered to take responsibility for their own lives. Trump hit Fox News to advise Romney not to apologize for the remark. And he again complained that half of Americans do not pay taxes but expect handouts from the government:

He should never apologize. Actually bring on this discussion…It's a discussion that maybe should be had. You do have a large percentage of people not paying taxes. You do have a large percentage of people that feel they're entitled.

In these comments, Trump was slamming people who didn't pay income taxes for feeling entitled and for essentially screwing those Americans who do.

But he's a genius Like he does his own taxes Thats some crazy optics

we know why 40% of americans have effective tax rate of ZERO its they dont make enough money ... not because they lost 900 million and still have a private Jet ...
Old 10-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Hilary's 2015 1040 also shows that she carried forward a 700k long term loss, to reduce her tax liablility for 2015.

How come it's OK for her to do that, but it's unethical for him to do it?
Old 10-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #13
ecduzitgood
time to go

It was a loss carried foward from 2008 and they could only deduct $3000 for 2015. That seems strange but it would appear to me they must have used the loss over the previous 8 years.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #14
Jim in CT

The article I read said 700k. In any event, it begs the question...how come it's OK for her to do it (Spence would say it was brilliant when she did it), but not OK when Trump does it?

There are a million legitimate reasons to attack this guy. With a well that deep, she (and her minions in the media) still needs to make garbage up?
Old 10-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Chris Christie There’s no one who’s shown more genius in their way to maneuver around the tax code,” and Rudy Giuliani

"The reality is, this is part of our tax code. The man's a genius. He knows how to operate the tax code to the benefit of the people he's serving,

Mitt Romney had privately derided 47 percent of Americans as shiftless individuals who could not be bothered to take responsibility for their own lives. Trump hit Fox News to advise Romney not to apologize for the remark. And he again complained that half of Americans do not pay taxes but expect handouts from the government:

He should never apologize. Actually bring on this discussion…It's a discussion that maybe should be had. You do have a large percentage of people not paying taxes. You do have a large percentage of people that feel they're entitled.

In these comments, Trump was slamming people who didn't pay income taxes for feeling entitled and for essentially screwing those Americans who do.

But he's a genius Like he does his own taxes Thats some crazy optics

we know why 40% of americans have effective tax rate of ZERO its they dont make enough money ... not because they lost 900 million and still have a private Jet ...
So in your opinion, when a business uses legal means to eliminate the taxes it owes, that's the same (or worse?) than when someone capable of working, chooses to mooch off welfare?

If Trump pays no federal income tax, the business he runs still produces enormous tax revenue...it pays social security and Medicare tax, it pays salaries to employees which generate all kinds of tax revenue...the business adds value.

But again, the double standard...when Bill Clinton kicks millions of poor people off welfare and tells then to go back to work...that makes him a liberal hero. When Trump says some people are abusing the system, that makes him mean.

Got it.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The way the law works back then was if he took out a $999 million loan and put 1 million down himself . If the project folded and the bank lost 999 million he was also allowed to claim that $999 million loss .
He could even spread that loss over a number of years and avoid paying federal tax.
Sounds crazy but it's more proof that the system is rigged and needs major change .
The banks got bailed out....
The scheme was more complicated than that. They used a gimmick to accelerate depreciation to capture a loss and then sell the assets at a higher value with the tax liability.

At the very least it's really sketchy and doesn't show it all the man understands global finance. He understands schemes because he's a con artist...

So much for being out for the little guy.

And I'd note that Trump just threw Veterans under the bus AGAIN.

Last edited by spence; 10-04-2016 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
buckman

Quote:
The scheme was more complicated than that. They used a gimmick to accelerate depreciation to capture a loss and then sell the assets at a higher value with the tax liability.

At the very least it's really sketchy and doesn't show it all the man understands global finance. He understands schemes because he's a con artist...

So much for being out for the little guy.

He did ? Please provide a link . If it's what I think you are going to post , your Reading way too much New York Post
Old 10-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
And I'd note, that he didn't say anything insulting to vets, unless we are talking about different quotes. Here is the latest quote...

"
"We need that so badly. And when you talk about the mental health problems when people come back from war and combat and they see things that maybe a lot of folks in this room have seen many times over.

And they're strong and they can handle it, but a lot of people can't handle it. And they see horror stories, they see events that you couldn't see in a movie, nobody could believe it.

We need mental health and medical, and it's one of the things that is least addressed and one of the things — one of the things that I hear most about when I go around and talk to the veterans. So we are going to have a very robust, very, very robust level of performance having to do with mental health."

Where is the insult in there, exactly?

Again, there are a million legit reasons to attack this guy. Can't liberals go 30 seconds without making something up?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
The scheme was more complicated . . . He understands schemes because he's a con artist...
So, in this thread he is calculating not merely an unfiltered impulsive tool. That keeps changing--from thread to thread--and even within threads. Sounds like yawl can't figure him out. Even so, you are sure of your opinions.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:50 AM   #20
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
So in your opinion, when a business uses legal means to eliminate the taxes it owes, that's the same (or worse?) than when someone capable of working, chooses to mooch off welfare?

If Trump pays no federal income tax, the business he runs still produces enormous tax revenue...it pays social security and Medicare tax, it pays salaries to employees which generate all kinds of tax revenue...the business adds value.

But again, the double standard...when Bill Clinton kicks millions of poor people off welfare and tells then to go back to work...that makes him a liberal hero. When Trump says some people are abusing the system, that makes him mean.

Got it.
stay on topic its about trump not about Bill Clinton Now we can see why he does not wish to release his tax returns ... I would guess it would show more about him trying to get over on the government then trying to get by as a business .. not sure how the right who claim to be fiscal conservatives
can twist this into a positive?

if he runs the country the same way as his business, does he know the Country cant right off what it owes .. or does he roll the dice ?
Old 10-05-2016, 04:57 AM   #21
scottw

Quote:

if he runs the country the same way as his business, does he know the Country cant right off what it owes .. or does he roll the dice ?
pretty much sums it up.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	197267_5_.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	63434  
Old 10-05-2016, 05:00 AM   #22
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
And I'd note, that he didn't say anything insulting to vets, unless we are talking about different quotes. Here is the latest quote...

"
"We need that so badly. And when you talk about the mental health problems when people come back from war and combat and they see things that maybe a lot of folks in this room have seen many times over.

And they're strong and they can handle it, but a lot of people can't handle it. And they see horror stories, they see events that you couldn't see in a movie, nobody could believe it.

We need mental health and medical, and it's one of the things that is least addressed and one of the things — one of the things that I hear most about when I go around and talk to the veterans. So we are going to have a very robust, very, very robust level of performance having to do with mental health."

Where is the insult in there, exactly?

Again, there are a million legit reasons to attack this guy. Can't liberals go 30 seconds without making something up?

they're strong and they can handle it, but a lot of people can't handle it.

that about sums it up

His view shows his age and lack of understanding about suicide and its causes, strength has nothing to do with it .. I have 2 of My former soldiers who could attest to the strength issue both on opposite ends of topic but they can't they both are dead from Suicide..

suicide is not just a veteran issue nor just an issue for those who have seen stuff its a national issues
Old 10-05-2016, 05:45 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
they're strong and they can handle it, but a lot of people can't handle it.

that about sums it up

His view shows his age and lack of understanding about suicide and its causes, strength has nothing to do with it .. I have 2 of My former soldiers who could attest to the strength issue both on opposite ends of topic but they can't they both are dead from Suicide..

suicide is not just a veteran issue nor just an issue for those who have seen stuff its a national issues
"His view" is that some vets come back fine, some come back broken, and that we need to make sure we can help the ones who need help, and that we are currently falling short of that obligation.

Yes, that's deeply offensive and insulting.

You posted one part of a sentence. You did it for a reason, to make it look like he was disparaging those who "can't handle it". When you look at the entire comment, it is crystal clear what he meant.

Again, there are a million legitimate reasons to question this guy's character. This isn't one of them.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
stay on topic its about trump not about Bill Clinton Now we can see why he does not wish to release his tax returns ... I would guess it would show more about him trying to get over on the government then trying to get by as a business .. not sure how the right who claim to be fiscal conservatives
can twist this into a positive?

It's about whether o not Trump did anything wrong. If what he did was wrong, than what Hilary did must also be wrong, unless you are saying that she gets special set of rules..

"not sure how the right who claim to be fiscal conservatives
can twist this into a positive?"

I didn't say it was a positive. Your side is saying it's a negative and it's not. He hasn't even been accused, yet found guilty, of breaking any rules.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #25
buckman

Boy if Hillary wins , I sure hope she lives through her entire first term . Yikes is Kane a fruit loop .
Old 10-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #26
Fly Rod

[QUOTE=wdmso;1109856]stay on topic its about trump not about Bill Clinton Now we can see why he does not wish to release his tax returns ... [/QUOTE

WD, Spence, show us the law where a person running for office has to or must show their tax returns....before Mark Cuban was shunned from the republican party he stated that: " if I were running for president I would never show my taxes."

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 10-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #27
PaulS

I couldn't believe how much Kaine was interrupting Pence. I think he got excited once he realized that Pence was not going to try to defend Trump's statements and didn't even want to. The best Pence could do was "don't put words in my mouth" even though Trump's statements were easily found. Kaine was acting Trump like with the interruptions.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #28
spence

Quote:
I've never been in combat but the first thing that came to mind were the really strong people who because they were strong did the hardest things and that's why they suffer.

It was a bizarre statement to make.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #29
buckman

Quote:
I've never been in combat but the first thing that came to mind were the really strong people who because they were strong did the hardest things and that's why they suffer.

Most people , if they aren't deliberately looking at everything he says, with a pessimistic , I hate him mentality , understood the compassion in his speech .
Old 10-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:

Can you elaborate on what was bizarre? He said some guys can handle it, and some can't (he could have been more elegant, I guess), then went on and on about how we have an obligation to the guys who come back and need help.

He was exactly right. Some guys come back fine, some guys come back damaged. Is THAT an offensive thing to say?

Everything you need to know about this issue, is that the anti-Trump people focus on a few words (some can handle it and some can't), which by itself may sound callous. But when you read the next things he said (about how we all owe a debt to those who come back in need of help), his intent is clear.

How is it "bizarre" to say that some guys come back in need of help, and we owe it to them to provide that help.

Liberals recently did the same thing to Guiliani, who said "Trump would be better than a woman like Hilary with her track record...".

And the liberals quoted Guliani as saying "Trump would be better than a woman". Makes him sound like one of those deplorable sexists.

Again, there are SO MANY valid things to use against Trump. Why do we need to fabricate things.

Trump is a true jerk. But I cannot fathom how anyone could be offended by what he said in this case. It's mind-boggling.