Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Mokes

Filling the hook hanger hole?

Should I fill the hook hanger hole with Devcon or wood epoxy and is there a good way to sand it after?

Also, do you guys fill the entire hole up, so the wire is permenant? That would seem to limit me on re-wiring ever I guess?
Mokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I've used plumber's epoxy on the rare occasion I can't use a swivel and have to hang a hook by wire (deep thin profile handcarves).

Truthfully, filling hook hanger holes (instead of using swivels) gives a fish better leverage to pry out a hook and usually makes no sense unless your goal is selling stuff to guys from NJ.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Mokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I've used plumber's epoxy on the rare occasion I can't use a swivel and have to hang a hook by wire (deep thin profile handcarves).

Truthfully, filling hook hanger holes (instead of using swivels) gives a fish better leverage to pry out a hook and usually makes no sense unless your goal is selling stuff to guys from NJ.
Yeah...it's a handcarve. Never thought about the leverage issue.
Mokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes View Post
Should I fill the hook hanger hole with Devcon or wood epoxy and is there a good way to sand it after?

Also, do you guys fill the entire hole up, so the wire is permenant? That would seem to limit me on re-wiring ever I guess?
Use whatever you are using for clear coat, the left overs. If you are doing many of them you will need a different method.
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
JMAC_kerel

I have used both leftover Devcon and wood epoxy/plumbers epoxy for hanger holes. They both work fine. There may be a very slight weight difference if that is a concern.

Yeah, once you use either its pretty much permanent. Sanding is tricky but the devcon is pretty much self leveling. (although if the bottom of the belly hole is not blocked, the epoxy will keep running into the through wire hole. Ask me how I know)
JMAC_kerel is offline   Reply With Quote