Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

What fire breathing radical said this and about whom?

I want to share one strongly argued case for impeachment, from a leading constitutional scholar, that I stumbled across the other day.
"[The president’s] defenders describe the unthinkable disaster of impeachment. But it should not be unthinkable. The framers of the Constitution did not see impeachment as a doomsday scenario; they thought it necessary to remove bad men from the offices they were subverting."
“The president’s defenders, experts at changing the subject, prefer to debate whether [he] committed a felony …. [but] ‘high crimes and misdemeanors’ are not limited to actions that are crimes under federal law."
“It becomes clear that the White House has never before been occupied by such a reckless and narcissistic adventurer. Sociopath is not too strong a word."
“We are regularly lectured about a constitutional crisis if the House goes forward with hearings and ultimately votes a bill of impeachment for trial in the Senate. Consider the alternative. Perhaps American presidents, by and large, have not been a distinguished lot…"
“….But if we ratify [his] behavior in office, we may expect not just a lack of distinction in the future but aggressively dishonest, even criminal, conduct. The real calamity will not be that we removed a president from office but that we did not."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I want to share one strongly argued case for impeachment, from a leading constitutional scholar, that I stumbled across the other day.
"[The president’s] defenders describe the unthinkable disaster of impeachment. But it should not be unthinkable. The framers of the Constitution did not see impeachment as a doomsday scenario; they thought it necessary to remove bad men from the offices they were subverting."
“The president’s defenders, experts at changing the subject, prefer to debate whether [he] committed a felony …. [but] ‘high crimes and misdemeanors’ are not limited to actions that are crimes under federal law."
“It becomes clear that the White House has never before been occupied by such a reckless and narcissistic adventurer. Sociopath is not too strong a word."
“We are regularly lectured about a constitutional crisis if the House goes forward with hearings and ultimately votes a bill of impeachment for trial in the Senate. Consider the alternative. Perhaps American presidents, by and large, have not been a distinguished lot…"
“….But if we ratify [his] behavior in office, we may expect not just a lack of distinction in the future but aggressively dishonest, even criminal, conduct. The real calamity will not be that we removed a president from office but that we did not."
Another leading constitutional scholar, hard-core-liberal liberal Alan Dershowitz, thinks it's all a sham.

It's a matter of opinion.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Not Dersh
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
wdmso

It doesn't matter rule of law is gone in the republican party . Lie alternative facts and pandering to their base endless conspiracy driven world view.. from immigrants to pizza shops to not believing what the hear or see the orangeman do or say..

Ps North Korea fires off 2 ballistic missile. Republicans were winning
Old 11-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
It doesn't matter rule of law is gone in the republican party .
We can't all be as obsessed with rule of law, as liberals are.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:

It doesn't matter rule of law is gone in the republican party . Lie alternative facts and pandering to their base endless conspiracy driven world view.. from immigrants to pizza shops to not believing what the hear or see the orangeman do or say..

this is pretty deep for a monday
Old 11-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
detbuch

Quote:

Ps North Korea fires off 2 ballistic missile.

Maybe the quid pro quo wasn't attractive enough for Kim. Uh, oh, must be an impeachable offense somewhere in there.

Republicans were winning
Did that make you happy?
Old 11-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Doesn't sound like a strong argument for impeachment. Actually, it's a silly and very dangerous argument--impeachment based on conjecture.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

Ps North Korea fires off 2 ballistic missile. Republicans were winning
Every time I think you can’t post anything more stupid, you hit the keyboard and surprise me again

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Doesn't sound like a strong argument for impeachment. Actually, it's a silly and very dangerous argument--impeachment based on conjecture.
Maybe that’s why Bork didn’t make it on the Supreme Court
It was his comment on the Clinton impeachment

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
Maybe that’s why Bork didn’t make it on the Supreme Court
It was his comment on the Clinton impeachment
He was obviously wrong. As was Lindsey Graham about his nebulous reason for impeaching Clinton. Clinton was impeached for a specific crime. As is constitutionally mandated.

I understand, though, that you're big on innuendo, and conjecture. I think we would have constant and stupid, as well as unconstitutional impeachments if your standards were applied.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Every time I think you can’t post anything more stupid, you hit the keyboard and surprise me again
Spit my beer everywhere
Old 11-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Sorry you find your truths Stupid ..