Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
WESTPORTMAFIA

Small engine guys?

Anyone nearby who can tune my 49cc 2 hp Tecumseh motor (ice auger)? Plug is new filters are clean, gas mix is 100% accurate. It starts up instantly and idles perfect. Once in full throttle wines in and out losing rpms. I don't think it's the carbs as it's only giving me an issue at full throttle. The engine speed screw was messed with (only has 1 and not sure if it's a high or low) but it has been put back in the correct position.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
WESTPORTMAFIA

It's not a big drop in rpms. Just enough to screw me while in the middle of a drilled hole.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

It is a carb issue what's happening is the needle inside the carb is not moving properly due to shellacking. I know it seems odd but whag is happening is it is not coming out of idle properly. If you are confident enough to do it remove the carb and get a rebuild kit for it. Then go to napa and get the carb cleaner kit. It is a 1 gallon Pail with a parts tray in it. You drop the carb in it for a few hours over night what ever and re assemble. It will run like a dream.

If your engine does not have an in line shut off put one on it. Run the carb dry every use and treat every single tank of gas you get for it. The ethanol in gas is absolutely brutal on small engines.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
It is a carb issue what's happening is the needle inside the carb is not moving properly due to shellacking. I know it seems odd but whag is happening is it is not coming out of idle properly. If you are confident enough to do it remove the carb and get a rebuild kit for it. Then go to napa and get the carb cleaner kit. It is a 1 gallon Pail with a parts tray in it. You drop the carb in it for a few hours over night what ever and re assemble. It will run like a dream.

If your engine does not have an in line shut off put one on it. Run the carb dry every use and treat every single tank of gas you get for it. The ethanol in gas is absolutely brutal on small engines.
I have never let gas sit in it for more than a week or 2 and it gets drained and ran through at the end of every season.I have had carb issues with other small engines before but they always were choking out, stalling and idle problems. Never anything like this. Should I just try cleaning the carbs with carb cleaner before buying a rebuild kit?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
WESTPORTMAFIA

This is what it sounds like. From idle to full throttle without me backing off.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Higgie

Take it apart and clean it first and foremost. Careful seperating the gaskets there should be four of them, usually. Compressed air and lubricant. I'm not a huge fan of stronger solvent chemicals just a personal preference. Use a straight edge razor to separate the gaskets rebuild kits can be stupid expensive. Shoot me a jay if you have any questions.
Rich
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

After talking to you on the phone I don't think it is a carb issue. It has something to do with how the power meets the auger
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

Run the carb dry every use and treat every single tank of gas you get for it. The ethanol in gas is absolutely brutal on small engines.
The exact reason why high test is the only gas to run in small egines.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
tysdad115

Quote:
After talking to you on the phone I don't think it is a carb issue. It has something to do with how the power meets the auger
Jay if you need anything made or welded let me know.You can run it to Wareham and Ill break it down and fix it for you.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Jay if you need anything made or welded let me know.You can run it to Wareham and Ill break it down and fix it for you.
I'm pretty sure its just one of the adjustment screws. I do need my small lawnmower plow welded. It broke from the frame while ramming an ice boulder multiple times. Is this something that I can bring down and wait while you weld it.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
tysdad115

Sure. I'm here until 6 tonight.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Sure. I'm here until 6 tonight.
JUST LEFT YOU A MESSAGE. CALL ME. I WANT TO HEAD UP BEFORE THE SNOW COMES
Old 01-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
tysdad115

No need to yell, I was on the other line..

Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
fishbones

Be careful touching the plow, Andy. He uses it to push all his dog crap into the neighbors yard. He's to lazy to clean it up like normal people.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
WESTPORTMAFIA

Thanks for the hook-up Andy!! It was put back together correctly too. As far as the heat it cooled off warmed up and cooled off again . It's like menopause.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
tysdad115

Anytime. Recheck the coolant around June, when you get your inspection sticker...
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Anytime. Recheck the coolant around June, when you get your inspection sticker...

I'm going to check the mail right now to see if my new reg and sticker arrived.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post

I'm going to check the mail right now to see if my new reg and sticker arrived.
Yup. I probably should have checked the mail before heading out. I online bank all of my bills. So there is usually no need to check the mail box unless I'm expecting something.