Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-13-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Corrupt politicians

The FBI served a warrant on Senator Richard Burr tonight and seized his cell phone.
Next?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-14-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

Raymond Burr
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-14-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The FBI served a warrant on Senator Richard Burr tonight and seized his cell phone.
Next?
Any reason why you don't think Feinstein should be next? Or does that "D" after her name give her blanket immunity for everything?

These people, if guilty, deserve severe and public punishment. And that gal in GA who says only her advisers make moves, but they sold airline and energy stocks and bought stocks in companies that sell technology to people that work from home. Gimme a break.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Any reason why you don't think Feinstein should be next? Or does that "D" after her name give her blanket immunity for everything?

These people, if guilty, deserve severe and public punishment. And that gal in GA who says only her advisers make moves, but they sold airline and energy stocks and bought stocks in companies that sell technology to people that work from home. Gimme a break.
I hope they are looking at all of them, I have to imagine that Trump's crew i pushing them to get the dems if there is evidence. If Feisntein and others truly are in a blind trust as claimed and there is no evidence they contact (or can't prove) they contacted the person managing the trust, then it is a harder case to prove. The Burr case seems a bit more obvious that he dumped stock, as did family members if I recall.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
PaulS

Quote:

They prob. looked at Feinstein and the other 3 also. What exactly did Feinstein do though? The woman in GA's case can easily be defended against if there is no contact between her and her broker. Plus Burr is the only one who got secret briefings. I think Burr was one of only a few Sen. to vote on a law baring Sen? from owning or buying/selling stocks.

Last edited by PaulS; 05-14-2020 at 07:56 AM..
Old 05-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
They prob. looked at Feinstein and the other 3 also. What exactly did Feinstein do though? The woman in GA's case can easily be defended against if there is no contact between her and her broker. Plus Burr is the only one who got secret briefings. I think Burr was one of only a few Sen. to vote on a law baring Sen? from owning or buying/selling stocks.
'What exactly did Feinstein do though?'

The same thing Burr did, probably.

"Plus Burr is the only one who got secret briefings."

Wasn't it everyone on that specific committee? And senators don't talk to each other?

The republican woman in GA, if she really had no contact and her advisers dumped airlines and energy and bought CITRIX, they are the greatest stockpickers in the history of the world. Contact is as easy to hide, as telling a staffer to tell someone else to contact the broker. Her husband is/was the president of the New York Stock Exchange.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I hope they are looking at all of them, I have to imagine that Trump's crew i pushing them to get the dems if there is evidence. If Feisntein and others truly are in a blind trust as claimed and there is no evidence they contact (or can't prove) they contacted the person managing the trust, then it is a harder case to prove. The Burr case seems a bit more obvious that he dumped stock, as did family members if I recall.
Agreed, it's a safe bet that Trump isn't telling the DOJ to focus on Republicans.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #8
PaulS

Quote:
'What exactly did Feinstein do though?'

The same thing Burr did, probably.

"Plus Burr is the only one who got secret briefings."

Wasn't it everyone on that specific committee? And senators don't talk to each other?

The republican woman in GA, if she really had no contact and her advisers dumped airlines and energy and bought CITRIX, they are the greatest stockpickers in the history of the world. Contact is as easy to hide, as telling a staffer to tell someone else to contact the broker. Her husband is/was the president of the New York Stock Exchange.
I've told you a # of times, Feinstein didn't make the sale (1), her husband did. He (she) is one of the richest Sen. and what they sold is a tiny % of their wealth compared to Burr's sales/wealth.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #9
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Agreed, it's a safe bet that Trump isn't telling the DOJ to focus on Republicans.
Which likely means whatever they have on Burr is pretty obvious, it seems....

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Which likely means whatever they have on Burr is pretty obvious, it seems....
Correct, likely he was the one dumb enough to not cover his tracks.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
I've told you a # of times, Feinstein didn't make the sale (1), her husband did. He (she) is one of the richest Sen. and what they sold is a tiny % of their wealth compared to Burr's sales/wealth.
And it's not possible, that she told him to do it. Burr's brother sold stock, most people take that as evidence of guilt.

Martha Stewart went to prison for practically pennies. The uber wealthy can be funny with their money.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Correct, likely he was the one dumb enough to not cover his tracks.
He was also dumb (egotistical) enough to not have it in a trust which would be a good CYA....

Bryan

Old 05-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

This escalation is worth watching closely—because while Burr’s pre-pandemic stock sales look totally rotten, this investigation also raises questions about Barr targeting the one powerful Republican who authenticated the Russia investigation and is working on the final report in his committee’s 3-1/2 year long Russia probe. The goal has been to get it done and released in next couple months.

He also was seen as leading the effort to subpoena Donald Trump Jr. a year ago. Going after the mob boss’ family is a bad career move, and can get you made into a public example as a message to anyone else thinking of breaking ranks.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
And it's not possible, that she told him to do it. Of course it is possible.Burr's brother sold stock, most people take that as evidence of guilt.

Martha Stewart went to prison for practically pennies. The uber wealthy can be funny with their money.
The point is that Burr sold a larger share of his holdings after receiving a confidential briefing that the other Sen. did not receive. Feinstein's husband sold the 1 stock, not her. He made his wealth founding/owning an investment company. Burr's sales all were perfect.

And that is why politicians of both parties called out Burr but not the other 3 - even while mentioning them. The others all have believable stories - burr not so much.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

In 2012, Congress required lawmakers to disclose stock market activity and prohibited them from acting on intelligence they learn from their privileged positions.

The law passed the Senate 96-3.

Among the three senators to vote no was Burr.

Apparently he thinks he’s immune
Old 05-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
The point is that Burr sold a larger share of his holdings after receiving a confidential briefing that the other Sen. did not receive. Feinstein's husband sold the 1 stock, not her. He made his wealth founding/owning an investment company. Burr's sales all were perfect.

And that is why politicians of both parties called out Burr but not the other 3 - even while mentioning them. The others all have believable stories - burr not so much.
Feinstien's spokesperson said that she was already questioned by the FBI. We'll see what comes of all this....

Bryan

Old 05-15-2020, 03:53 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
In 2012, Congress required lawmakers to disclose stock market activity and prohibited them from acting on intelligence they learn from their privileged positions.

The law passed the Senate 96-3.

Among the three senators to vote no was Burr.

Apparently he thinks he’s immune
Dear Pete,

nobody is defending Burr

signed,

Everyone
Old 05-16-2020, 03:57 AM   #18
wdmso

Trump Removes State Department Inspector General Steve Linick

There goes another corrupt politician.. oh wait he's not politician his job is to keep politicians from being corrupt.. but Look who has had him removed. And why.. oh wait Trump did Not give a reason... no suprise

Question on Burr why does the right trust the FBI for seizing his phone and other records? To investigate him. But flynn was set up?
Old 05-16-2020, 05:58 AM   #19
Sea Dangles

The noise you hear is a draining swamp

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-18-2020, 04:44 AM   #20
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
The noise you hear is a draining swamp
yup...

The former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine "1000%" misled Congress during last year's impeachment hearings when she claimed she didn't know much about the controversial Burisma Holdings company and the Justice Department needs to investigate, Rep. Lee Zeldin, R-N.Y., says.

Zeldin reacted Thursday after documents published by Just the News earlier this week showed Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch met with a Burisma representative, received correspondence from the Ukraine gas company that hired Hunter Biden and received a detailed briefing on the matter during the 2016 election.

Yovanovitch, testifying before the House Intelligence Committee's impeachment inquiry last fall, said that she knew little about the company, especially as it pertained to the Bidens. She testified most of what she knew was from a briefing before she headed to run the U.S. embassy in Kiev and from news reports.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:54 AM   #21
wdmso

Here we go again but but bidens son

Still waitng on Rudy to testify.. Scott do you recall all your. Emails and their content? And if i recall Bidens son wasn't the one being investigated and still isn't.

Or is it to far from the election to start it?
Old 05-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #22
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Here we go again but but bidens son

the post was about Yovanovitch....try to pay attention
Old 05-18-2020, 11:12 AM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Since the title is corrupt politicians and Ambassador Yovanovitch was a career employee, not a political appointee.
Pompous is a political appointee.
The House has discovered that the fired State Dept. IG had mostly completed an investigation into Mike Pompeo's widely criticized decision to skirt Congress with an emergency declaration to approve billions in arms sales to Saudi Arabia last year.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #24
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
the post was about Yovanovitch....try to pay attention
you 1st
Old 05-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump admitted today that he fired State's Inspector General because the political appointee the IG was investigating asked him to do it. That's important if you care at all about the rule of law.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #26
detbuch

The rule of law states that it was perfectly legal for Trump to fire the IG.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The rule of law states that it was perfectly legal for Trump to fire the IG.
With cause, Pompeii asking him to does not fly.
I'm going to start using the phrase, "That's just the hydroxychloroquine talking."

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
With cause, Pompeii asking him to does not fly.

It flew.

I'm going to start using the phrase, "That's just the hydroxychloroquine talking."
Trying a new schtick to somehow make your anti-trump obsessive compulsion fly?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Trying a new schtick to somehow make your anti-trump obsessive compulsion fly?
"I'm taking hydroxychloroquine" simply means the Pompeo-Saudi scandal has some real legs to it.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
"I'm taking hydroxychloroquine" simply means the Pompeo-Saudi scandal has some real legs to it.
It simply means he's taking hydroxychloroquine.