Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #61
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I didn’t know we had to be outraged “on a curve”
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #62
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I get my news from The Onion.
The Onion couldn't have written 2020....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #63
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
sounds like a simple restructure to me...

Sun 7 Jun 2020

The Minneapolis city council has pledged to disband the city’s police department and replace it with a new system of public safety, a historic move that comes as calls to defund law enforcement are sweeping the US.

Speaking at a community rally on Sunday, a veto-proof majority of council members declared their intent to “dismantle” and “abolish” the embattled police agency
I gotta admit, leaders and representatives across the country are failing their constituencies by knee jerk reacting to this with sweeping policy change and multi-million $ funding changes.

It’s a good idea to consider the vital role of law enforcement in our society. It’s a terrible idea to lose the forest for the trees and think that “one way to do this” is to defund police and turn that into a movement.

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:31 AM   #64
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Nobody is suggesting the police should be disbanded.
pretty cool "restructure"

published 8 hours ago
Seattle protesters declare 'cop free zone' after police leave precinct

Seattle has been making big news in the last couple of days. The first major story emerged Tuesday when police ceded an entire neighborhood to Antifa and Black Lives Matter, representatives of which barricaded a large segment of the Capitol Hill neighborhood and declared the area an “autonomous” community, separate from Seattle itself. The second newsworthy story occurred when thousands of leftist protesters led by Black Lives Matter and Antifa entered City Hall shortly after midnight on Wednesday, demanding that Mayor Jenny Durkan (a Democrat) resign.

On Tuesday, the police in Seattle’s Eastern District had initially battled with the rioters, using tear gas and flashbangs. Eventually, recognizing that anything short of a military-style defense was a waste of police time and put police lives at risk, the police abandoned the Eastern Precinct. They shredded important and confidential documents, boarded up the windows, and walked away, leaving the people whom they serve to the mob’s mercy.

The mob set up barricades around the streets and announced a new independent community called the “Capitol Hill autonomous zone” or “Free Capitol Hill.” Because this is Seattle, residents of the city, rather than looking at the probably and imminent end of a comfortable life predicated on the smooth functioning of modern civil services (law enforcement, food delivery, garbage pick-ups, street cleaning, etc.), immediately donated huge amounts of food, water, and medical supplies to allow the anarchists to settle in for a long siege.

https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2...east-precinct/

Last edited by scottw; 06-10-2020 at 08:07 AM..
Old 06-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #65
spence

Quote:
pretty cool "restructure"

published 8 hours ago
Seattle protesters declare 'cop free zone' after police leave precinct

Seattle has been making big news in the last couple of days. The first major story emerged Tuesday when police ceded an entire neighborhood to Antifa and Black Lives Matter, representatives of which barricaded a large segment of the Capitol Hill neighborhood and declared the area an “autonomous” community, separate from Seattle itself. The second newsworthy story occurred when thousands of leftist protesters led by Black Lives Matter and Antifa entered City Hall shortly after midnight on Wednesday, demanding that Mayor Jenny Durkan (a Democrat) resign.

On Tuesday, the police in Seattle’s Eastern District had initially battled with the rioters, using tear gas and flashbangs. Eventually, recognizing that anything short of a military-style defense was a waste of police time and put police lives at risk, the police abandoned the Eastern Precinct. They shredded important and confidential documents, boarded up the windows, and walked away, leaving the people whom they serve to the mob’s mercy.

The mob set up barricades around the streets and announced a new independent community called the “Capitol Hill autonomous zone” or “Free Capitol Hill.” Because this is Seattle, residents of the city, rather than looking at the probably and imminent end of a comfortable life predicated on the smooth functioning of modern civil services (law enforcement, food delivery, garbage pick-ups, street cleaning, etc.), immediately donated huge amounts of food, water, and medical supplies to allow the anarchists to settle in for a long siege.

https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2...east-precinct/
Funny, the blog post you cite doesn't even mention anything about BLM or Antifa. All the police did was pull back from their barricade and it looks like the tensions went away...

But keep spreading misinformation, maybe you could work for the Trump campaign.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #66
Pete F.
Canceled

American democracy isn't pretty, is it?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #67
scottw

Quote:

Funny, the blog post you cite doesn't even mention anything about BLM or Antifa.
ok....and nobody is calling for defunding the police
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHSBLMJune82020-23.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	67168  
Old 06-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #68
spence

Quote:
ok....and nobody is calling for defunding the police
Lots of people are, it just doesn't mean what you think it means.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #69
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Lots of people are, it just doesn't mean what you think it means.
Using ambiguous terms to describe a movement that impacts all of society certainly helps to distract from the conversation we all wish would be happening

The weird part of all of this is that I feel the terms other than "defund the police" have been used for years before this and never got the response/reaction they are getting now.

So maybe the reality is if people had listened in the past, words wouldn't be such a sticking point now.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #70
Pete F.
Canceled

When one of the Bush family denounces “systemic racism” and Mitt Romney marches for Black Lives Matter, you know something fundamental has changed.

The tides of public opinion have shifted and that's leaving Trump* stranded on a shrinking “law and order” island.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #71
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Using ambiguous terms to describe a movement that impacts all of society certainly helps to distract from the conversation we all wish would be happening

The weird part of all of this is that I feel the terms other than "defund the police" have been used for years before this and never got the response/reaction they are getting now.

So maybe the reality is if people had listened in the past, words wouldn't be such a sticking point now.
I think it's just meant to be provocative. Hasn't had the audience attention until now. I don't think shrinking budgets to just appease is helpful, but it's a good dialogue to see how we can improve public health and safety, that may include defunding some of the police.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #72
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
I think it's just meant to be provocative. Hasn't had the audience attention until now. I don't think shrinking budgets to just appease is helpful, but it's a good dialogue to see how we can improve public health and safety, that may include defunding some of the police.
Change is hard

This all being said, I believe there are some folks out there "in charge" of local municipalities who actually believe that a system-wide removal of law enforcement funding is what is being discussed, and are supportive of it. So the provocative nature of it is actually having a dual-edged effect.

Again, that might just be a casualty of war, but it doesn;t help the dialog on this forum because it fuels opposing opinions with facts.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #73
scottw

Quote:

Nobody is suggesting the police should be disbanded.

The Minneapolis City Council unanimously voted Friday to “dismantle” the city’s police department as their solution to police violence after George Floyd’s death.

The City Council passed a resolution to focus on a community-based public safety system. President Lisa Bender, City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins and other council members made the announcement at a rally Sunday afternoon, saying they plan to “dismantle” their police department. The money for the police will instead go towards a “community-based public safety model,” according to Reuters.

this is going to be so much fun
Old 06-16-2020, 06:34 AM   #74
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Well if you watch Fox and caught the interview with Eric Trump, you believers must be ready to shout the Trump favorite word, the virus is a Democrat HOAX. It will apparently all magically disappear after the November election. This is either the rotten crazy conspiracy loving bad apple falling not far from the family tree or Trump desperate and irresponsible campaign move to get his base out to vote. Either proves you just can’t cure stupid.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:08 AM   #75
Sea Dangles

It has already disappeared in NZ.
No Dems down there I guess.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #76
scottw

league leaders in deaths / million population U.S.

1591 New York
1439 New Jersey
1179 Connecticut
1109 Massachusetts
803 Rhode Island
730 DC
602 Michigan
650 Louisiana
499 Illinois
494 Pennsylvania
Old 06-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #77
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
league leaders in deaths / million population U.S.

1591 New York
1439 New Jersey
1179 Connecticut
1109 Massachusetts
803 Rhode Island
730 DC
602 Michigan
650 Louisiana
499 Illinois
494 Pennsylvania
It’s clear to me from these numbers, this virus was clearly created in a lab by the GOP to reduce the voting population in these states so they become battleground states.

:boom:

Old 06-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #78
Pete F.
Canceled

If you take the time or expend the effort to look into what the Minneapolis City council’s issues are with the police department you will discover that they want local control and can only achieve that by dissolving the current organization per the city charter.
Camden, NJ did it 8 years ago, things improved
But just let the reich wing scare you, Tweety will save you
Old 06-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #79
wdmso

As spending on the police increased, federal aid to cities shrank for antipoverty programs and social services.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...t-growing.html

When people say defund that is just some people , its not policy or supported by the public at large .. but people are seeing the dollars spent and not happy with the return , and whole heartedly want police to be better ..

One guy on Foxs the 5 angry guy in a t shirt said only blacks should deal with blacks and the same whites .. the went into some the chances are 1 in how many he called it an error rate .. ,, he cover his ass by saying it was a dumb idea ... but hes another one who will swear up and down there is no racism in policing
Old 06-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #80
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
As spending on the police increased, federal aid to cities shrank for antipoverty programs and social services.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...t-growing.html

When people say defund that is just some people , its not policy or supported by the public at large .. but people are seeing the dollars spent and not happy with the return , and whole heartedly want police to be better ..

One guy on Foxs the 5 angry guy in a t shirt said only blacks should deal with blacks and the same whites .. the went into some the chances are 1 in how many he called it an error rate .. ,, he cover his ass by saying it was a dumb idea ... but hes another one who will swear up and down there is no racism in policing

I doubt many Police Agencies are over funded, particularly in urban areas. But the police are asked to do everything from basic law enforcement, to shrinks, anti-drug coaches, to being dads in areas that are thin on them.

Yes, we need other people filling key roles in addition to the police but instead of the police.

All these wackos pulling police / SROs OUT of schools? That is going to be a monumental mistake, good luck with that.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #81
scottw

Quote:
It’s clear to me from these numbers, this virus was clearly created in a lab by the GOP to reduce the voting population in these states so they become battleground states.

no, they aren't that smart or calculating
Old 06-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #82
scottw

Quote:

maybe a sinister plot by lunatic progressives????

As U.S. Nursing-Home Deaths Reach 50,000, States Ease Lockdowns
Facilities weigh coronavirus risk of allowing visitors against ills caused by prolonged isolation

"Ezekiel Emanuel(chief architect of obamacare) questions “whether our consumption is worth our contribution” in old age."

Last edited by scottw; 06-17-2020 at 07:52 AM..