Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

A little more fuel

Drip.....drip.....drip

Another little Bolton leak.......

Here's the question: Senator, your's was the deciding vote to not have witnesses in Floridaman's impeachment, given the reports that have come out since did you make a wise decision? Because if it's close, you always end up owning it.

More than two months before he asked Ukraine’s president to investigate his political opponents, President Trump directed John R. Bolton, then his national security adviser, to help with his pressure campaign to extract damaging information on Democrats from Ukrainian officials, according to an unpublished manuscript by Mr. Bolton.

Mr. Trump gave the instruction, Mr. Bolton wrote, during an Oval Office conversation in early May that included the acting White House chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, the president’s personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani and the White House counsel, Pat A. Cipollone, who is now leading the president’s impeachment defense.

Mr. Trump told Mr. Bolton to call Volodymyr Zelensky, who had recently won election as president of Ukraine, to ensure Mr. Zelensky would meet with Mr. Giuliani, who was planning a trip to Ukraine to discuss the investigations that the president sought, in Mr. Bolton’s account. Mr. Bolton never made the call, he wrote.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

"the White House counsel, Pat A. Cipollone, who is now leading the president’s impeachment defense."

As a matter of professional legal ethics you can't really represent a client in a matter in which you are also a witness (or accomplice) and it's a bar-grievable issue -- I would have thought this is obvious but these days it's worth reiterating

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Pete, I do like your new sig. Once again your side claimed that THIS TIME, he had gone too far and they had him! Only to end up with egg on their faces again.

P.S. You're a bore and you're a pussy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slap.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	66855  
Old 01-31-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Mr. Trump also repeatedly made national security decisions contrary to American interests, Mr. Bolton wrote, describing a pervasive sense of alarm among top advisers about the president’s choices. Mr. Bolton expressed concern to others in the administration that the president was effectively granting favors to autocratic leaders like Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey and Xi Jinping of China.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

And John Kelley throws a few more sticks on the fire

“If I was advising the United States Senate, I would say, ‘If you don’t respond to 75 percent of the American voters and have witnesses, it’s a job only half done,” he said. “You open yourself up forever as a Senate that shirks its responsibilities.”

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Mr. Trump also repeatedly made national security decisions contrary to American interests, Mr. Bolton wrote, describing a pervasive sense of alarm among top advisers about the president’s choices. Mr. Bolton expressed concern to others in the administration that the president was effectively granting favors to autocratic leaders like Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey and Xi Jinping of China.
Geeze, until now the Dems were constantly accusing Bolton and his ideas and decisions as contrary to American interests. Sort of like your Dershowitz ever changing ideas.

Keep up the good work in helping to point out these anomalous but important conflicting opinions by everybody.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Geeze, until now the Dems were constantly accusing Bolton and his ideas and decisions as contrary to American interests. Sort of like your Dershowitz ever changing ideas.

Keep up the good work in helping to point out these anomalous but important conflicting opinions by everybody.
Actually Dershowitz is yours and he’s been blowing in the wind for years, has the principles of any friend of Epstein’s and Roy Cohn.
Bolton’s ideas are not the issue, he too is a principled American and knows that Floridaman is a liar and guilty of that which he is accused.
Don’t worry, if they attack Bolton too hard all his contemporaneous notes will be found and miraculously be published. He knows exactly how the game is played and will get revenge.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Bolton reveals what it was like to fight against an incumbent President determined to prevent publication of this book. Tweety directed the seizure of and withheld his personal and other unclassified documents, despite numerous requests for their return. He also obstructed Bolton’s Twitter account and made outright threats of censorship.

Bolton’s response? Game on.

Drawn from his personal participation in key events, Bolton covers an array of topics—chaos in the White House, sure, but also assessments of major players, the President’s inconsistent, scattershot decision-making process, and his dealings with allies and enemies alike, from China, Russia, Ukraine, North Korea, Iran, the UK, France, and Germany.

What Bolton saw astonished him: a president for whom getting reelected was the only thing that mattered, even if it meant endangering or weakening the nation.

“I am hard-pressed to identify any significant Trump decision during my tenure that wasn’t driven by reelection calculations,” he writes.

In fact, he argues that the House committed impeachment malpractice by keeping their prosecution focused narrowly on Ukraine when Trump’s Ukraine-like transgressions existed across the full range of his foreign policy—and Bolton documents exactly what those were, and attempts by him and others in the Administration to raise alarms
about them.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
PaulS

it doesn't matter bc my 401 is doing great.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
Bolton reveals what it was like to fight against an incumbent President determined to prevent publication of this book. Tweety directed the seizure of and withheld his personal and other unclassified documents, despite numerous requests for their return. He also obstructed Bolton’s Twitter account and made outright threats of censorship.

Bolton’s response? Game on.

Drawn from his personal participation in key events, Bolton covers an array of topics—chaos in the White House, sure, but also assessments of major players, the President’s inconsistent, scattershot decision-making process, and his dealings with allies and enemies alike, from China, Russia, Ukraine, North Korea, Iran, the UK, France, and Germany.

What Bolton saw astonished him: a president for whom getting reelected was the only thing that mattered, even if it meant endangering or weakening the nation.

“I am hard-pressed to identify any significant Trump decision during my tenure that wasn’t driven by reelection calculations,” he writes.

In fact, he argues that the House committed impeachment malpractice by keeping their prosecution focused narrowly on Ukraine when Trump’s Ukraine-like transgressions existed across the full range of his foreign policy—and Bolton documents exactly what those were, and attempts by him and others in the Administration to raise alarms
about them.
Amazing how those once hated by the Dems are now redeemed principled Americans merely by attacking Trump. Doesn't take much for a "principle" to change stripes.

Were the Dems wrong or lying when they claimed that choosing Bolton would get us mired into more disastrous foreign wars?
Old 06-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #11
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
it doesn't matter bc my 401 is doing great.
"The stock market is a graph of rich peoples feelings"

Best line I heard on a podcast this week when they were discussing that the stock market is not really reflective of the economy (they were pointing to be it being up last week when the unemployment numbers (which now we are suddenly supposed to believe) were better than projected but still atrocious, plus you know, riots and a pandemic...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
"The stock market is a graph of rich peoples feelings"

Best line I heard on a podcast this week when they were discussing that the stock market is not really reflective of the economy (they were pointing to be it being up last week when the unemployment numbers (which now we are suddenly supposed to believe) were better than projected but still atrocious, plus you know, riots and a pandemic...
I think Paul was talking about his area code
Old 06-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #13
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I think Paul was talking about his area code
No, he is an '860'er

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #14
scottw

Quote:
No, he is an '860'er
Old 06-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #15
PaulS

Quote:
No, he is an '860'er
that is the "other side" of the river.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #16
spence

The book will likely resonate in conservative circles. Bolton is a hawk, perhaps even dangerously so, but he’s super smart and has credibility. This isn’t some conspiracy tell all. It’s a warning.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The book will likely resonate in conservative circles. Bolton is a hawk, perhaps even dangerously so, but he’s super smart and has credibility. This isn’t some conspiracy tell all. It’s a warning.
Sounds scary! Just what we need during pandemic, rioting, revolution, protests . . . maybe he can demonstrate with the crowds--kneel and ask forgiveness for his abundance of white privilege.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #18
spence

Now Bolton is being sued, to stop a book that's already been distributed to book stores. This is going to be pretty funny.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Why did Trump have a secretive, midnight run to Walter Reed Medical Center? It’s time we talk about it.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #20
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Now Bolton is being sued, to stop a book that's already been distributed to book stores. This is going to be pretty funny.
A POTUS who says he cant be sued or charged while in office . Loves to sue or threaten legal action against information or outlets who he thinks shows him in a bad light! He trying to shut down free speech and intimidate ,,,

Yet his supporters have no issues with his behavior. They see it as strength, or fighting back against the corrupt system,
Old 06-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #21
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
A POTUS who says he cant be sued or charged while in office . Loves to sue or threaten legal action against information or outlets who he thinks shows him in a bad light! He trying to shut down free speech and intimidate ,,,

Yet his supporters have no issues with his behavior. They see it as strength, or fighting back against the corrupt system,
well....he's a dictator...soooooo....

the left has a curious definition of... "free speech"
Old 06-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Tweety, who wants to delay publication of the Bolton book until after the presidential election, on Monday gave reporters a spin on the White House’s efforts to muzzle Bolton: He views “every conversation with me as president highly classified” and he thinks that “maybe [Bolton] is not telling the truth.”

Bolton spent 4 months with Ellen Knight, the official charged with conducting the prepublication review.
Tweety's suit acknowledges that, by April 27, 2020, Knight “had completed her review and was of the judgment that the manuscript draft did not contain classified information.”

Then a political appointee, Michael Ellis, intervened and claimed to be “concerned that the manuscript still appeared to contain classified information, in part because the same Administration that the Author served is still in office and that the manuscript described sensitive information about ongoing foreign policy issues.”

But that’s just another way of saying the book includes recent, newsworthy information of public concern that the president wants to conceal and he now has the Department of Justice doing political work for him.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #23
wdmso

Quote:

Please elaborate
Old 06-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #24
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

John R. Bolton, the former national security adviser, says in his new book that the House in its impeachment inquiry should have investigated President Trump not just for pressuring Ukraine to incriminate his domestic foes but for a variety of instances when he sought to intervene in law enforcement matters for political reasons.
Mr. Bolton describes several episodes where the president expressed willingness to halt criminal investigations “to, in effect, give personal favors to dictators he liked,” citing cases involving major firms in China and Turkey. “The pattern looked like obstruction of justice as a way of life, which we couldn’t accept,” Mr. Bolton writes, adding that he reported his concerns to Attorney General William P. Barr.
Mr. Bolton also adds a striking new allegation by saying that Mr. Trump overtly linked trade negotiations to his own political fortunes by asking President Xi Jinping of China to buy a lot of American agricultural products to help him win farm states in this year’s election. Mr. Trump, he writes, was “pleading with Xi to ensure he’d win. He stressed the importance of farmers, and increased Chinese purchases of soybeans and wheat in the electoral outcome.”

Pretty obvious why a Trump will do anything to stop this from coming out ahead of the election, Bolton knows he is a crook, con man and likely a traitor.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #25
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
John R. Bolton, the former national security adviser, says in his new book that the House in its impeachment inquiry should have investigated President Trump not just for pressuring Ukraine to incriminate his domestic foes but for a variety of instances when he sought to intervene in law enforcement matters for political reasons.

I've learned to wait for the final verdict before jumping to conclusions. So am highly inclined to not comment on any of this when it is at the accusation stage. But am curious if Trump specifically said he that he "sought to intervene" (sought? or did?) for political reasons, or If Bolton assumed that was his motivation.

Mr. Bolton describes several episodes where the president expressed willingness to halt criminal investigations “to, in effect, give personal favors to dictators he liked,” citing cases involving major firms in China and Turkey. “The pattern looked like obstruction of justice as a way of life, which we couldn’t accept,” Mr. Bolton writes, adding that he reported his concerns to Attorney General William P. Barr.
Mr. Bolton also adds a striking new allegation by saying that Mr. Trump overtly linked trade negotiations to his own political fortunes by asking President Xi Jinping of China to buy a lot of American agricultural products to help him win farm states in this year’s election. Mr. Trump, he writes, was “pleading with Xi to ensure he’d win. He stressed the importance of farmers, and increased Chinese purchases of soybeans and wheat in the electoral outcome.”

Again, did Trump specifically say to Xi that the reason he wanted China to buy American farm products was to ensure he'd win? Or, again, was that Bolton's assumption?

Pretty obvious why a Trump will do anything to stop this from coming out ahead of the election, Bolton knows he is a crook, con man and likely a traitor.
Bolton may "know" all that and can prove it . . . or he can assume that and prove nothing. Wait and see before put foot in mouth.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:12 PM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Bolton may "know" all that and can prove it . . . or he can assume that and prove nothing. Wait and see before put foot in mouth.
Sounds like you don't think it should be called:

I Watched the President Do an Absolute #^&#^&#^&#^& Ton of Crimes and Did Absolutely Nothing About It: The John Bolton Story

I'm sure Bolton just didn't understand Tweetyspeak, is secretly a Democrat, is obviously a liar, misconstrued the deep meaning or it just went over his head because the Stable Genius is playing three dimensional checkers.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
Sounds like you don't think it should be called:

I Watched the President Do an Absolute #^&#^&#^&#^& Ton of Crimes and Did Absolutely Nothing About It: The John Bolton Story

I'm sure Bolton just didn't understand Tweetyspeak, is secretly a Democrat, is obviously a liar, misconstrued the deep meaning or it just went over his head because the Stable Genius is playing three dimensional checkers.
I don't have an opinion on what it should be called. I asked a couple of questions, which your reply does not answer.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #28
PaulS

Mr. Trump did not seem to know, for example, that Britain is a nuclear power and asked if Finland is part of Russia, Mr. Bolton writes. He came closer to withdrawing the United States from NATO than previously known. Even top advisers who position themselves as unswervingly loyal mock him behind his back. During Mr. Trump’s 2018 meeting with North Korea’s leader, according to the book, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo slipped Mr. Bolton a note disparaging the president, saying, “He is so full of s**t.”
Old 06-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I don't have an opinion on what it should be called. I asked a couple of questions, which your reply does not answer.
Every insider account of Trump says basically the same thing. There are always a few new details, but the takeaway is always, always, that he is exactly who he appears to be in public. There are no hidden depths or strategies, no secret store of self-awareness or compassion.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #30
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Please elaborate
clearly the left has decided that their "free speech" includes defacing and destroying property, preventing business owners from doing business and or destroying business if they are in the mood, vandalizing the homes of private homeowners, verbally assaulting, physically assaulting people who may not agree with them or happen to be in their path....the left is fortunate that so many law abiding citizens have shown restraint in the face of their provocation and that many in government have been so willing to turn a blind eye to their bad behavior.....this is not new for the left but it is also not sustainable...... but trump "Loves to sue or threaten legal action against information or outlets who he thinks shows him in a bad light! He trying to shut down free speech and intimidate"...last I checked suits and legal action are perfectly legal.....