Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Glad I'm not a native of Puerto Rico

Trump put that mayor in her place, the nerve of a woman questioning him stating things are going swimmingly. Rub salt in the wound and kick the dog while she's down, man I can't believe what that clown tweets at times. The US mainland response being top rate is about as believable as Trump and the upper percentile of earners not benefiting from the new tax plan.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
spence

He does find a way of impossibly reaching new lows.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He does find a way of impossibly reaching new lows.
the problem is...if you haven't been paying attention.....it works for him....why should he change?...he filthy rich....he's wife is smokin' hot and he's freakin' President of the United States....somehow...and I honestly don't understand how.....being a complete knucklehead brings him success heaped upon success...why would he change anything???
Old 09-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
the problem is...if you haven't been paying attention.....it works for him....why should he change?...he filthy rich....he's wife is smokin' hot and he's freakin' President of the United States....somehow...and I honestly don't understand how.....being a complete knucklehead brings him success heaped upon success...why would he change anything???
Why would you defend it?
Old 09-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
trevier

I feel bad for those people after what they went thru. But that island was a disaster waiting to happen. In debt up to their eyeballs, and it was only a matter of time before a storm like that rolled over that place doing massive damage.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
PaulS

I wonder what the added cost of the Jones Act is on an annual basis to the island?
Old 09-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Why would you defend it?
how did I defend it?

"being a complete knucklehead"

just said he's been this way for a very long time and it's always worked for him, what motivation would he have to change and why would you expect different?
Old 09-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
scottw

and speaking of knuckleheads

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz

“Hello, San Juan. Freedom for Oscar Lopez Rivera.. soon he will be with us. We have to thank every Puerto Rican man and woman, who for a long time, many of us didn’t know Oscar Lopez Rivera. He was fighting the fight,” she said.

“We’re going to give you more details when we welcome this great Puerto Rican patriot in a cause that unites us and to know that, in spite of our differences, we can do big things in this country,” she continued.

Yulin Cruz added, “This great celebration is going to be in the streets and it is going to be extraordinarily large. So do come by starting Thursday to celebrate what our hearts scream for. Thanks, President Obama. Long live Oscar Lopez Rivera.”

Lopez Rivera was sentenced to 35 years in prison for his involvement in the FALN, a Puerto Rican separatist group that was responsible for more than 100 bombings in the U.S. during the 1970s and 1980s.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Jim in CT

There are also mayors of other towns in PR saying that there is a lot of US aid there, and that the mayor of San Juan, has not been attending the FEMA meetings.

Again, I don't like Trump. But I'm not sure he's sitting on his hands doing nothing, or taking glee in the "genocide" that the mayor says is taking place.

After the winds and seas calm down, you'd think this would be a fairly simple exercise.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
how did I defend it?

"being a complete knucklehead"

just said he's been this way for a very long time and it's always worked for him, what motivation would he have to change and why would you expect different?
in which calling someone a "complete knucklehead", is defending him.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
wdmso

We can't get water and food to PR in 12 days .. but some making excuses on the why's it's taken so long. Are the same people who expected the government and the military to prevent the 4 deaths in benghazi in 13 hours it's only easy in the movies
Old 10-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevier View Post
I feel bad for those people after what they went thru. But that island was a disaster waiting to happen. In debt up to their eyeballs, and it was only a matter of time before a storm like that rolled over that place doing massive damage.
Hit the nail on the head. Very poor infrastructure to begin with. Tried to get by on the cheap without making necessary upkeep. Those residents will have a long road and their taxes will skyrocket. Will be interesting to see just what the federal government will fund.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
We can't get water and food to PR in 12 days .. but some making excuses on the why's it's taken so long. Are the same people who expected the government and the military to prevent the 4 deaths in benghazi in 13 hours it's only easy in the movies
"We can't get water and food to PR in 12 days"

Some say there's lots of water and food there. What if the people who say otherwise (and that's a very big 'if' at the moment), are only saying so, to make him look bad? Other mayors are saying that significant aid is there.

It's like this nutjob librarian in Mass who turned down Melania Trump's books because she says, Cat in a Hat is racist. I am sure she considers herself a liberal hero for saying that. But as we now know, she's a hypocrite, as there are photos of her dressed as Cat in a Hat, reading that book to kids.

People hate this guy, in a way we haven't seen before. No doubt, he brings a lot of that on himself. But the response he triggers, well, we haven't seen anything like it before. No matter what he does, he's wrong, and evil, and racist, and Hitler.

I'm not defending the federal response to PR. I'm saying that the answer you get about the aid sent, depends a lot upon who you ask.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

SO Navy stages three Gators their before the storm, starts prep. Then leaves to avoid the storm, comes back next day and starts moving gear. They start ramping up the Mercy (which takes 10 days I'm told) and getting hospital staff up and provisions which can't stay on ship. AF and guard units started prep to move down.

Side note, the Mercy Hospital ship was mostly excess and did very little in Katrina or Haiti earthquake.

Was it enough, fast enough? No. But is more than anything they've had to do in years. There was no infrastructure to move much of anything, roads are wiped out, little communications. The only way to move stuff was rotary wing and that does not move a lot.

But the Navy has less ships and manpower than since before WW2 and they are severely stretched as it is. But they still went.

Do they get an A? No. C+ ? Probably.

Maybe a C- when you put Trump's statements in.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #15
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

But the Navy has less ships and manpower than since before WW2 and they are severely stretched as it is. But they still went.
And most of us know why that is right?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
That's a scary problem or reality in today's environment
Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #17
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Sure - 5 years of continuing resolutions after a 10% budget slash after spending money on stupid sh!t. Lump in REALLY bad decisions by Navy requirements (LCS, DDG1000), cutting the fleet without suitable replacement (Sprucane Cans and Perry FF(-g) ), mix in green fuels and Social Justice Warrior training....

Totally unrelated to this thread:

Quote:
​The Defense Department is delaying the deployment of additional US forces to Afghanistan as a result of the “finite number” of US transportation aircraft, which are currently in high demand Stateside following the recent hurricanes in Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico, the Pentagon said Thursday.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, in testimony earlier this week, said the military’s response to storms such as Hurricane Maria has shown it is “all hands on deck” in helping American citizens. This, in turn, is delaying future operations

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/...ployments.aspx

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #18
JohnR

In an ironic twist, USS Iwo Jima was not able to respond early enough due to propulsion issues. Again, the fleet and crews are being tun hard.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump is such a smuck, watching him have fun with the pronunciation of Puerto Rico, he is just such an empathetic individual.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #20
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Trump is such a smuck, watching him have fun with the pronunciation of Puerto Rico, he is just such an empathetic individual.
What an embarrassment. Really... people said Obama was an amembarasmsnt for being the apologist but I will take an apologist over a douche any day of the week. Can you imagine if Trump was black ? Or a woman? There would be riots over his douchery
Old 10-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #21
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

Really... people said Obama was an amembarasmsnt for being the apologist

calling someone an amembarasmsnt is racist
Old 10-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
calling someone an amembarasmsnt is racist
See what extended exposure to glass fumes do to a person.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #23
Nebe

Happy to provide you guys with the typo orgasm.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #24
PaulS

It is an embarrassment when his own secretary of state is quoted as calling him a moron and he doesn't deny it.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #25
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
It is an embarrassment when his own secretary of state is quoted as calling him a moron and he doesn't deny it.
Bingo !
Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #26
detbuch

By now, I would have thought that everyone has accepted that Trump is a moron. Maybe it took Tillerson a while to get it. Even so, Tillerson says he doesn't want to resign. I guess he doesn't consider Trump's version of a being a moron very significant.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #27
Nebe

The biggest moron is the person who voted for this clown
Old 10-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #28
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The biggest moron is the person who voted for this clown
That's a lot of morons, including me. I am not happy with him,yet I have no regrets given the alternative.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #29
PaulS

This is just "the calm before the storm".
Old 10-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #30
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Got to love all the LOOSERS who would rather the usual pos lying politician in office than someone who talks like the average pissed off American who is sick & tired of lying politicians who do nothing but feed you bull#^&#^&#^&#^& while making themselves filthy rich !