Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Look at Puerto Rico right now. They are about to go under and are screaming at congress to allow them to fall under the same municipal bankruptcy protection that US states have.
So, while we might be up chit creek with a turd for a paddle, remember that the creek is only a foot or so deep. We can just default on everything, claim bankruptcy and start over. Just fire up the printing presses !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Default on everybody? How about the senior citizens who rely on social security checks?

In the end, we will realize that not only do compassionate conservatives like Paul Ryan, NOT want to destroy Social Security,m but that there were in fact, trying to save it. Others, mostly liberals are willing to let it go under, so that they can buy votes today.

"Just fire up the printing presses "

Because that has no downside...
Old 10-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
No, not at all.
Actually, he's right. Obama had no specific ideas, he just promised this vague notion of "change".

we voted for change, and we got it, boy.

I saw a news report the other day. After getting elected, Obama asked to borrow a specific Norman Rockwell painting, to hang just outside the Oval Office. Everyone who walks into that office, has to walk right past it.

Know what it is?

A little black girl walking down the street, past a wall, on which is spray-painted in grafiti, the word "N*GGER".

Who the hell would want to walk past that every day, on the way into their office? A race-obsessed fanatic, who wants a constant reminder of who his enemies are. This, from the man who said he would unite us, and be a post-racial president.

Right.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #33
spence

God the hate runs deep with you...
Old 10-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #34
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Quote:
I've yet to hear any serious ideas. Really all I've seen from Trump are negative, demeaning, insulting and childish attacks. You don't turn that off, it comes so naturally to Trump because that's who he really is...
Well honestly, maybe some of that bluntness will help our foreign policy, because this method of gentle diplomacy doesn't seem to be working so well with Syria or ISIS! If Regan acted like this, god knows where we would be with communism!
Old 10-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
God the hate runs deep with you...
Right, right. I point out that our president specifically asked for a painting that makes whites out to be the worst kind of loathsome racists, and I am the hateful one.

You sit in Rev Wright's church for decades, who would expect anything different?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
Well honestly, maybe some of that bluntness will help our foreign policy, because this method of gentle diplomacy doesn't seem to be working so well with Syria or ISIS! If Regan acted like this, god knows where we would be with communism!
Correct. When Carter was elected, the liberals said that his appeasement strategy would lead to peace. They were wrong. And as always, failed to learn from that empirical evidence.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Right, right. I point out that our president specifically asked for a painting that makes whites out to be the worst kind of loathsome racists, and I am the hateful one.

You sit in Rev Wright's church for decades, who would expect anything different?
Actually, the woman who posed as a girl for the painting made the request. It was up for 4 months. It's one of the most iconic political paintings of all time by one of America's greatest painters.

The hate is consuming you.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Actually, the woman who posed as a girl for the painting made the request. It was up for 4 months. It's one of the most iconic political paintings of all time by one of America's greatest painters.

It's divisive.

Look, it's an important part of our history, and if you're going to put up an entire museum, or when you teach history, it's an important subject to touch upon. I'm not saying we pretend it didn't happen.

But if I'm picking one painting to hang outside the Oval Office, I don't pick something whose only message is that whites, at one time, were institutionally racist to blacks. I'd pick something that unites all of us. And if a white President had a painting of Willie Horton raping a white woman, or abu Mumia Jamal murdering a white police officer, which are also factually correct, I don't think you'd be on board with it.

The great uniter!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #39
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
But if I'm picking one painting to hang outside the Oval Office, I don't pick something whose only message is that some whites, plus the Europeans, and the Arabs, and stronger African tribes that profited from the slave trade, at one time, were institutionally racist to blacks. I'd pick something that unites all of us.

The great uniter!
There, fixed it for you, history, unlike skin color, IS more than skin deep.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #40
scottw

YUP....

"In the new West, freedom is inequality, liberty selfishness, and tribalism unity. That is all ye need to know."

http://www.nationalreview.com/node/426080/print
Old 10-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #41
FishermanTim

Quote:
.... I hope there are enough people with brains and common sense. I think that's what it comes down to There may be too many brain dead liberals who want freebies more than they want anything.
Is there an APP for that?

That may be the only way to find any common sense among the general populace.

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #42
spence

I love it, now Norman Rockwell is offensive and Donald Trump is admired for his personality.

Your world is upside down.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:53 AM   #43
Nebe

The clown car will be on the track tonight!!! Stay tuned for the brain trust's ideas on how to
A- drag us into another war
B- continue to enrich the 1% while stagnating wage growth for the middle and lower classes.
C-try to turn over social security to Wall Street and defund at the same time
D- using religion as a tool to gain votes to support their corporate based agenda !!!!

MURIKA!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
I love it, now Norman Rockwell is offensive and Donald Trump is admired for his personality.

Your world is upside down.
It's not offensive. But it's divisive.

Look, if next to that painting, he had another painting of white Americans marching alongside Dr King, that would be different.

But he doesn't. And the fact that he only has that one painting, even though segregation ended 50 years ago and he never once experienced it, says something about Obama. Nothing surprising, it just reinforces what non-brainwashed people already knew.

I don't admire Trump's personality, kindly refrain from those false claims.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #45
PaulS

Quote:

I've told him that in the past.

I view the painting as giving a middle finger to all the racists out there who called him the N word, a ganster or the new one "You people".

Let's lie about his religion, his country, etc and then when we are upset say he is divisive.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #46
Nebe

If there's one trait I have witnessed amongst conservative republicans, it's bad taste in art
Old 10-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #47
spence

Quote:
Look, if next to that painting, he had another painting of white Americans marching alongside Dr King, that would be different.

But he doesn't. And the fact that he only has that one painting, even though segregation ended 50 years ago and he never once experienced it, says something about Obama. Nothing surprising, it just reinforces what non-brainwashed people already knew.
Keep going, this is starting to get good.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #48
Nebe

Quote:
Keep going, this is starting to get good.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I've told him that in the past.

I view the painting as giving a middle finger to all the racists out there who called him the N word, a ganster or the new one "You people".

Let's lie about his religion, his country, etc and then when we are upset say he is divisive.
What was sitting in Rev Wright's church for decades? Just a way to give the finger to racists? Because his sermons seemed to cast the net pretty wide, in terms of defning the enemies of that congregation (which seem to include all honkeys, not just the bad ones). And that, seems very consistent, with the mindset of someone who would want that painting, of all the painitngs in the world, to hang outside the oval office.

All the tea leaves say the same thing. Remember the "bitter clingers" comment, when the Great Uniter thought the mike was off. He also claimed that all Republicans do, the only thing they do, is "hate all the time".

After all that, I'm supposed to believe he gives a fig about my aspirations? He has absolutely no idea what motivates huge numbers of Americans. So he assumes were are motivated by racism. It can't be that our ideas are better (after all, liberalism is working SO WELL in CT, RI, Mass, IL).

Easier to paint me as a hater, than to refute what I'm saying, given the empirical evidence available to us.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
If there's one trait I have witnessed amongst conservative republicans, it's bad taste in art
Well, to be fair to us slack-jawed hillbillies, we can't all be as cultured as Obama, with Jay Z on his ipod, and Beyonce on his speed dial.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #51
spence

Quote:
It can't be that our ideas are better (after all, liberalism is working SO WELL in CT, RI, Mass, IL).
Funny,

Quote:
The top 10 liberal states are primarily located in the outer longitudes of the U.S.: touching or close to the Atlantic Ocean (Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Maryland), and the Far West (Oregon, California, Washington and Hawaii)
America's top states to live in 2015 (CNBC)

Hawaii
Vermont

Minnesota
New Hampshire
Maine
Oregon
Washington
Massachusetts

Colorado
Iowa
Old 10-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Funny,

Hawaii
Vermont

Minnesota
New Hampshire
Maine
Oregon
Washington
Massachusetts

Colorado
Iowa
That's a riot, Spence. In those top states, what's the percentage of black and Mexican residents, compared to the rest of the country? Was that poll done by the Klan?

Liberalism might work fine in Greenwich CT, or on Nantucket. That doesn't mean it works in normal places.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #53
PaulS

I can see Jim's house on Sunday mornings

Jim's wife - Dear, we're going to be late for church.

Jim - Yes, don't forget I'm sch. to be an usher today.

Jim thinking to himself - I gotta hurry up and call the Pres. a POS and Hillary a FCOTUS.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I can see Jim's house on Sunday mornings

Jim's wife - Dear, we're going to be late for church.

Jim - Yes, don't forget I'm sch. to be an usher today.

Jim thinking to himself - I gotta hurry up and call the Pres. a POS and Hillary a FCOTUS.
Paul, let's get to the heart of this...

It's indisputable that Obama said that middle-Americans are bitter people who cling to religion/guns because they are racist.

It's also indisputable that he said that Republicans "gotta stop just hatin' all the time".

He's talking about me, and people like me.

How would you like me to describe him? How would you honestly describe someone who spoke about you that way? If I describe him in insulting terms (and of course I do), perhaps he has earned no better from me. Respect is to be earned, no?

Being Catholic, doesn't mean I'm supposed to let someone say hateful (and demonstrably false) things about me, and then thank him for the priviledge.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #55
Nebe

I hope you don't vote for trump then. 😝
Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #56
PaulS

Quote:
Funny,

Hawaii
Vermont

Minnesota
New Hampshire
Maine
Oregon
Washington
Massachusetts

Colorado
Iowa
Who cares about that poll. This is the only 1 that counts. You're from RI, right?

http://www.ctpost.com/living/article...en-6593163.php

Last edited by PaulS; 10-28-2015 at 12:51 PM..
Old 10-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
I hope you don't vote for trump then. ��
Me? I have zero respect for Trump, he's not close to worthy of POTUS. Fair enough?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
That's a riot, Spence. In those top states, what's the percentage of black and Mexican residents, compared to the rest of the country? Was that poll done by the Klan?

Liberalism might work fine in Greenwich CT, or on Nantucket. That doesn't mean it works in normal places.

I looked it up. According to wikepedia, the US population, on average, is 12.6% black. Here are the %'s of blacks by state, for the states you and CNBC admire as the top states.

Hawaii - 3.1%
Vermont - 0.9%
Minnesota - 4.6%
New Hampshire - 1.2%
Maine - 1.0%
Oregon - 2.0
Washington - 3.7%
Massachusetts - 8.1%
Colorado - 4.3%
Iowa - 2.7%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...can_population

Wow. Those 10 states from your poll, have a combined black population, that's about one-quarter of the national average. Maybe Robert Byrd and Al Gore Sr conducted the poll for CNBC.

So should all the other states emulate those top states, and kick out 75% of their black residents? Is that what you and CNBC and the liberals, are suggesting?

You have to admit, you teed that one up nicely for me.

You were right, this is getting good.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-28-2015 at 02:15 PM..
Old 10-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #59
spence

Quote:
Wow. Those 10 states from your poll, have a combined black population, that's about one-quarter of the national average. Maybe Robert Byrd and Al Gore Sr conducted the poll for CNBC.
It's interesting (i.e. telling) that you jumped from liberal policy to black people.

What's on the brain Jim?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #60
spence

Quote:
Me? I have zero respect for Trump, he's not close to worthy of POTUS. Fair enough?
Sounds like you're voting for Hillary then