Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
PaulS

Yes, I've heard of those charities - but they are a small part of the overall donations/deductions. Take out the donations that don't go for those things and the results would be vastly different.

The fact is your analysis is wrong. It would be like my saying those 10 states had more than the average amount of "N"s in them. Without knowing the data or criteria that was used in the development of the ranking, you came up with an off the wall response.

Look at the link to the Kaiser family foundation and you'll see states that are more liberal have better health outcomes while states that are more cons. have worse health outcomes.

correlation does not necessarily imply causation
Old 10-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The fact is your analysis is wrong. It would be like my saying those 10 states had more than the average amount of "N"s in them. Without knowing the data or criteria that was used in the development of the ranking, you came up with an off the wall response.
It's not that the analysis is wrong, it's that there really isn't any analysis.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yes, I've heard of those charities - but they are a small part of the overall donations/deductions. Take out the donations that don't go for those things and the results would be vastly different.

Look at the link to the Kaiser family foundation and you'll see states that are more liberal have better health outcomes while states that are more cons. have worse health outcomes.

correlation does not necessarily imply causation
"Take out the donations that don't go for those things and the results would be vastly different. "

Here is what the New York Time shad to say...

"if donations to all religious organizations are excluded, liberals give slightly more to charity than conservatives do. But Mr. Brooks says that if measuring by the percentage of income given, conservatives are more generous than liberals even to secular causes."

So according to the NYT, removing donations to churchjes (even if that's appropriate, which I would say it's not), that doesn't make conservatives out to be the heartless penny pinchers you wish they were. Ignoring donations to churches, if you look at donations relative to income, conservatives are still more generous. Look, I'm not saying that all conservatives are generous, many are not. Nor am I saying that liberals are all stingy, many are quite generous. What I am saying, is that's it's insane for liberals to claim they have a monopoly on charity and generosity. There is zero data to support that statement, all the data rejects that statement. And you made that statement in your last post.

Not all church donations go to build lavish facilities for the church members.

"The fact is your analysis is wrong. It would be like my saying those 10 states had more than the average amount of "N"s in them"

No, it would not be the same. Because the fact is, those states have far fewer blacks than the national average. Yet CNBC, and Spence, consider them to be the "best" states to live in. I find that interesting, considering that in additoin to claiming that they have a monopoly on charity, liberals also like to claim that they have a monopoly on caring about blacks. As long as it's from far away, I guess.

"Without knowing the data or criteria that was used in the development of the ranking, you came up with an off the wall response. "

I speculated, to be sure. I specifically said that. But the fact is, all 10 of those states are far more white than the national average. As someone who studies statistical correlations for a living, I can say there's agreat chance that the whiteness of those states is somewhat related to the qualities that make liberals claim they are the "best" states. If not, that would be one hell of a coincidence. Possible, though. I am speculating. But it's a good bet. Just because it doesn't support your agenda, doesn't make my guess less valid.

"states that are more liberal have better health outcomes while states that are more cons. have worse health outcomes"

That may be true, I wouldn't doubt that. But I don't think life expectancy of one's neighbors is the only thing that goes into determining quality of life.

Funny, you criticize me for speculating about the criteria that went into the poll of best states. Yet you are more than comfortable speculating that "health" was all that matters.

How come you can specuate, but I can't? Sorry, what's good for the goose...
Old 10-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Take out the donations that don't go for those things and the results would be vastly different. "

Here is what the New York Time shad to say...

"if donations to all religious organizations are excluded, liberals give slightly more to charity than conservatives do. But Mr. Brooks says that if measuring by the percentage of income given, conservatives are more generous than liberals even to secular causes."

So according to the NYT, removing donations to churchjes (even if that's appropriate, which I would say it's not), that doesn't make conservatives out to be the heartless penny pinchers you wish they were. Ignoring donations to churches, if you look at donations relative to income, conservatives are still more generous. So as a % of income conserv. are more generous. 2 things 1) that would imply cons. make less $. That has been stated here frequently but I could never varify that. 2) When someone here points out that the US is not the most generous nations to various charities, people alwasy say it isn't the % of GDP or some other measure that matters but total $s. "Without knowing the data or criteria that was used in the development of the ranking, you came up with an off the wall response. "

Funny, you criticize me for speculating about the criteria that went into the poll of best states. Yet you are more than comfortable speculating that "health" was all that matters.

How come you can specuate, but I can't? Sorry, what's good for the goose...
I never said that health is all that matters but many polls view liberal states are better bc of health. If someone conducts a survey using lower tax rates as a criteria, then I'm sure cons. states would come out on top.
You where the one who initiaially responded to Spence's post with the idea (speculated?) that those states had more whites, not me. You even said something about correlation when infact as I said, correlation not does imply causation.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
I never said that health is all that matters but many polls view liberal states are better bc of health. If someone conducts a survey using lower tax rates as a criteria, then I'm sure cons. states would come out on top.
You where the one who initiaially responded to Spence's post with the idea (speculated?) that those states had more whites, not me. You even said something about correlation when infact as I said, correlation not does imply causation.
"that would imply cons. make less $. That has been stated here frequently but I could never varify that"

Then you didn't read the study I posted, which suggests that conservatives, on average, have lower incomes. Think of the deep south, heavily conservative. Liberal strongholds tend to be Manhattan, Hollywood, San Fransisco, etc). I can see that conservatives would have lower average incomes. Either way, the reason I posted that loink, was to reject your notion that conservatives have no compassion. Even if liberals are a bit more generous (which this study refutes), that doesn't mean conservatives aren't generous as well. Right? Both sides can be generous, it's not one or the other.

"You where the one who initiaially responded to Spence's post with the idea (speculated?) that those states had more whites"

Are you feeling OK? The notion that they are very white states is NOT speculation. I posted census data to prove my point. If a conservative says that 2+2=4, do you assume that's speculation?