Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
brucelieb
bruce

airbrush

I got an airbrush, never used it given to me 10 years ago..
I also have a small nail gun compressor .. Do you all think it is possible to hook the airbrush up to that compressor. Can I water down any type of paint for this thing? I have not tried since I have just started to carve my plugs and the painting part is only a thought while drinking coffee....
brucelieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelieb View Post
I got an airbrush, never used it given to me 10 years ago..
I also have a small nail gun compressor .. Do you all think it is possible to hook the airbrush up to that compressor. Can I water down any type of paint for this thing? I have not tried since I have just started to carve my plugs and the painting part is only a thought while drinking coffee....
Yeah, a small compressor will work fine. Most guys use createx, but likely other brand paints will work. Often you don't need to thin much.
This thread is helpful http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ghlight=mother
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
EricW

That compressor will work just fine. I would add a regulator to it if it doesn't have one. I added one to my little pancake compressor that shows the tank pressure and the hose pressure. Makes life real easy. You can also get a small regulator that goes on the hose. I would stick to acrylics to learn. Clean up is easy. You can start out with the cheap stuff at craft stores and have some pretty good results. Unfortunately, AC moore just got rid of a while big section of acrylic paints and replaced it with stuff that is not as good. Thin it with airbrush medium (best) or water so it is like milk. One thing I learned about airbrushing and I am as far from an artist as you can get, is to do not try to load on the paint. You will get nice results if you take your time and layer on the paint in very thin layers until you get what you are looking for. Heat setting it with a cheap hair dryer helps out too. j It takes patience and time to learn, but best of luck.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
pbadad

Eric W? What does heat setting do and when do you heat the paint?

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Heat setting does just that sets the paint. I heat set just about every coat I put on the plug. If I am doing 10 plugs of same colors I do all ten then set them all and go on to the next color. I use a hair dryer and do it for about 30 seconds to a minute and then one final heating when all done. Not so close you melt the paint. It just make the paint tougher IMO. Some don't so it at all and get good results too. I just prefer to do it.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote