Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Bear Air Airbrush and Paint business

Made the Bear Air paint run this afternoon. I tried them once before, but for the most part I have ordered from Dixie Arts. Prices were $.25 more per 4 oz. container, but without $8.95 shipping the order was much cheaper. Even the empty 2 oz. Bottles I like to have around to mix paint in were cheaper, $1.25 a piece as opposed to $1.55 per at Dixie Arts. It is not a store though. You can order by phone, pay by card, then stop by and pick it up at the back door from the owner, Steve. Or shipping is extremely fast, a couple of days in most
cases. However, he only sells 4 oz. size and up.

Last edited by Swimmer; 03-16-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Shipping from Dixie Art is free over $50 I think it is??

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
$100.00
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:

but shipping that paint in winter can be costly if it freezes and ruins the paint without you knowing it. Maybe that can be a problem with adhesion who knows. I don't take a chance on ordering createx in cold weather because it would sit in cold mail trucks.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Those local outlets that do sell Createx get it delivered the same exact way Dixie Art ships it....UPS or Fedex....same cold trucks. Just sayin'. I have never had an issue.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Those local outlets that do sell Createx get it delivered the same exact way Dixie Art ships it....UPS or Fedex....same cold trucks. Just sayin'. I have never had an issue.
that's good
I'm just paranoid

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Bear Air is just off of Turnpike St. In W. Bridgewater, actually a few feet into S. Easton. It depends on which way you travel to get there. Coming from my direction the last few hundred feet are on treacherous dirt roads. If you come from 123 access is across from Stonehill College, on Bristol Rd. Which is in excellant shape and actually provides better and safer access to 20r Hampden Street where Bear Air is located. The thing of it is, convenience. As opposed to waiting a week for your order from Dixie, you can have it in fifteen minutes, any size, four oz. to a gallon. I have ordered mucho paint from Dixie Arts and will do so again. Just have to call ahead, from Bear, because its a warehouse and not a storefront. Guy says many of the plug builders have been in to buy paints., plus he has great prices on higher end air brushes on the web site all the time.

Last edited by Swimmer; 03-16-2014 at 08:54 AM..
Old 03-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

I only order from Dixie when they have 20% off and I will never order again during the winter. Their paint is not stored properly and will some times freeze.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Pretty sure Dixie's paint is shipped direct from Createx which i think is in Conn. so not a long time to sit in truck really. I hated ordering from Bear a bunch of years back because their shipping costs were so damn expensive and you couldn't go to pick it up then. I was like what the hell your close by and I have to pay 15 in shipping for a 20 dollar order. I stopped with them. Bobby the Greek told me I could go pick it up a couple years ago so in future I will do that .

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Pretty sure Dixie's paint is shipped direct from Createx which i think is in Conn. so not a long time to sit in truck really. I hated ordering from Bear a bunch of years back because their shipping costs were so damn expensive and you couldn't go to pick it up then. I was like what the hell your close by and I have to pay 15 in shipping for a 20 dollar order. I stopped with them. Bobby the Greek told me I could go pick it up a couple years ago so in future I will do that .
Pick it up from Createx? Or from Bear?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Bear

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
iamskippy

This is my first season going to airbrush from rattle cans, and i have found this whole paint buying experience to be a. pITA.......
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote