Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
What about Wilson, Trump’s not as bad as a president 100 years ago?
Really
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I don’t think you can really compare racist behavior today vs 100 years ago, as a people we’ve evolved quite a bit.

Also, I think the KKK and Birth of a Nation stuff isn’t even true, not that he didn’t have other race issues even for the time.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #32
detbuch

Quote:
After the Germans started torpedoing american shipping and asked Mexico to ally with them against the US he asked Congress to declare war.

The Germans didn't torpedo American shipping just for the heck of it, or to start a war with America. In the first place, Britain, with a superior navy, had emplaced a blockade against shipping goods into Germany (which included American ships carrying vital cargo to Germany). So the Germans retaliated with, since they didn't have as powerful a navy as the British, submarines to blockade goods entering allied waters. They warned that any ships carrying vital goods would be sunk.

If the Germans had allowed enough cargo bearing ships to cross the blockade, while they themselves were being blockaded, they would severely damage any chance to win the war. The US government should have warned American vessels to stay clear of the blockade, but economic losses to American companies overrode the danger.

Germany did not want the US to enter the war against them, for obvious reasons. But there were strong reasons that such might be the case. The US had strong historical and cultural ties to Britain. There was a strong sentiment pushing for an "Atlanticist" foreign policy here that argued for international policy based on anglophile views and which campaigned for the US intervention in the war on the side of the Allied forces.

And there were strong economic reasons such as highly influential American businessmen who desired an Allied victory. Big bankers like J.P. Morgan helped finance British and French war efforts with $3 billion in loans and bond purchases. If the Allies lost, they probably wouldn’t be able to repay their debt to their US lenders. Many businessmen therefore wanted US intervention in the war on the side of the Allied forces.

Germany sought Mexico's help only IF the US entered the war against them. There was no intention, otherwise, of starting a war with the US.

I assume you have been listening to Glen Beck rant about Wilson.
Several other reasons I would think you would try and brand Wilson as bad along with Roosevelt and Taft.

I assume you have been listening to Glen Beck since you seem to know what he ranted. I don't know because I don't listen to him.

They passed measures to regulate workplaces, food and drugs. They barred child labor and mandated school attendance. And they won antitrust laws to break up corporate monopolies. According to Roosevelt, corporations "should be so supervised and so regulated that they shall act for the interest of the community as a whole."

But Roosevelt used a light touch in his regulation of corporations, which he called "indispensable instruments of our modern civilization."

I am not discussing Teddy Roosevelt or Taft here. That would be another thread. I compared Wilson to Trump on values that you skewer Trump on.

By contrast, Wilson pledged to use the newly empowered federal state

There it is . . . and you express it so admiringly . . . the newly empowered federal state! Does that run a tingle up your leg?

to break up large companies and restore the economic competition of an earlier age.

That's laughable. Competition is what leads to the growth of companies. The only way to stop uneven growth is to regulate against individual competence and superior ability, to enforce some sort of supposed equality.

Defeating TR and Taft in 1912, Wilson immediately cut tariffs on imported goods, which he said benefited big businesses at the expense of consumers.

Cutting tariffs is good, especially if that is reciprocated. When it isn't, in the long run, it can lead to what we face today, the siphoning of our wealth to other countries and the diminishing of our so-called middle class. And if he broke up the big companies, why was he worried about tariffs benefitting them?

He pushed through the Clayton Antitrust Act, which blocked price-fixing and prevented the same people from sitting on the boards of competing companies. And he instituted the Federal Trade Commission, which investigates unfair business practices.

And so now we have wage fixing (minimum wage, the other side of the price fixing coin) the growth of a plethora of commissions and agencies where "the same people" that are supposed to be regulated are sitting on the boards. Good move. Not to mention, the vast majority of federal regulatory agencies are not constitutional, except Progressive judges (like Justice Brandeis) "interpreted" them so.

Wilson also tackled the nation's banking system, which had left American investors at the mercy of unscrupulous financiers and the unpredictable ups and downs of the economy. His answer was the Federal Reserve,

Which puts us in the hands of a smaller, monopolized, group of financiers who have manipulated the entire nation into unsustainable debt, most of which is owed to them. Another good job.

which continues to regulate the national money supply and interest rates in order to cushion us against the worst blows of the business cycle.

Apparently the blows keep coming, and the Federal Reserve "cushions" us by lending us more money (magically printed out of thin air at no cost to the Fed), the sum of which is never reduced but constantly grows, and only the interest, which also grows, is ever made payments to. Funny how that works and the Fed financiers get richer and more powerful and have a huge guaranteed income ranging into forever.

And he nominated Louis Brandeis—the nation’s leading champion of worker protections—for the Supreme Court.

Brandeis was one of our early Progressives, and was a completely natural selection for Wilson as their Progressive views aligned pretty well, But Wilson was probably more in favor of government power than Brandeis.

But he was definitely of the same mind as Wilson in seeing the Constitution as some evolving platform from which to create law and precedent based on social needs (his opinion, of course, of what society needs) rather than a structure on which government is based and performs. The old fashioned checks and balances nonsense did not stand in his way of "interpretation." Ergo he could be a leading champion of that nice phrase "worker protections" (whatever he thought that was supposed to be) instead of a leading champion of constitution based government.

Unlike Trump he certainly was not the United State's Yeltsin.
There is only one Yeltsin. And only one Trump. Wilson, on the other hand, was followed by other big and little Wilson's who all helped us get into our post constitutional flux of Post Modern, Social Marxist, moral relativist, fragmented, atomized society of multiple genders, federal tit feeding, social justice warrior, "intellectual" and authoritarian group think that must forever go into more debt to sustain itself.

Oh, and that war that Wilson got us into, it's result and resolution was the reason for the next big war, which FDR got us into. And that war was the means by which Stalin was able to spread his communist control over half of Europe and most of Asia.

All good stuff. Maybe Trump can Trump that with some new worldwide destruction of humanity's quest for freedom.

And, despite your attempt at wandering away from my comparison, it still stands that Wilson was far more a racist, extremist, anti-free speecher and destroyer of the Constitution than Trump is.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-07-2019 at 08:51 PM..
Old 01-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #33
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don’t think you can really compare racist behavior today vs 100 years ago, as a people we’ve evolved quite a bit.

Also, I think the KKK and Birth of a Nation stuff isn’t even true, not that he didn’t have other race issues even for the time.
Your usual gob of erroneous puffery.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
There is only one Yeltsin. And only one Trump. Wilson, on the other hand, was followed by other big and little Wilson's who all helped us get into our post constitutional flux of Post Modern, Social Marxist, moral relativist, fragmented, atomized society of multiple genders, federal tit feeding, social justice warrior, "intellectual" and authoritarian group think that must forever go into more debt to sustain itself.

Oh, and that war that Wilson got us into, it's result and resolution was the reason for the next big war, which FDR got us into. And that war was the means by which Stalin was able to spread his communist control over half of Europe and most of Asia.

All good stuff. Maybe Trump can Trump that with some new worldwide destruction of humanity's quest for freedom.

And, despite your attempt at wandering away from my comparison, it still stands that Wilson was far more a racist, extremist, anti-free speecher and destroyer of the Constitution than Trump is.

Which is why I am against giving Trump more time to become a greater racist, extremist, anti-free speecher and destroyer of the Constitution than he is.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
Which is why I am against giving Trump more time to become a greater racist, extremist, anti-free speecher and destroyer of the Constitution than he is.
Have to give you credit. That almost makes sense.