Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
spence

Woa

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...omment-page-1/
Old 10-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
iamskippy

I wish i knew more about this stuff and can form an educated conversation, but then again it would just turn into another stressful thing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Heard Bartlett on Stand-up last week. Interesting read...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Nebe

This proves what I was saying the other day. There needs to be a VIABLE third option. As it is now, the whole system is corrupt and rigged.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Nebe

Obama was the biggest "dupe" ever pulled on the American people.

Change ? Hope???
Old 10-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
This proves what I was saying the other day. There needs to be a VIABLE third option. As it is now, the whole system is corrupt and rigged.
I think we've had the third option all along. It's just that we drifted away from it and stumbled into the corrupt and rigged system that you hate. A system without a "soul" or place, as represented by Spence's Woa article. Reading it personified, for me, the phrase by Gertrude Stein "there's no there there."

Perhaps, the personification of a viable third option that you might more approve would be in another article in the same publication which the Woa article appeared:

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...wer-to-empire/

Maybe not. But I, at least 90%, like it. It does portray something of personal value, and a place to live it.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
A system without a "soul" or place, as represented by Spence's Woa article. Reading it personified, for me, the phrase by Gertrude Stein "there's no there there."
this is an ONION article right??

"I wrote a piece for the New Republic soon afterward about the Obamacon phenomenon—prominent conservatives and Republicans who were openly supporting Obama. Many saw in him a classic conservative temperament: someone who avoided lofty rhetoric, an ambitious agenda, and a Utopian vision that would conflict with human nature, real-world barriers to radical reform, and the American system of government."

"Race: In fact, Obama has seldom touched on the issue of race, and when he has he has emphasized the conservative themes of responsibility and self-help. Even when Republicans have suppressed minority voting, in a grotesque campaign to fight nonexistent... http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...mber-election/.... voter fraud, Obama has said and done nothing." http://www.msnbc.com/politicsnation/...n-223854147986

Last edited by scottw; 10-26-2014 at 07:21 AM..
Old 10-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Obama was the biggest "dupe" ever pulled on the American people.

Change ? Hope???
I could never believe most of the American people had the wool pulled
over their eyes by him then, and some are still enthralled by him.
Gravitas/ Cool ???? Lincoln had neither, said what he meant, meant what he
said and became one of the best leaders we ever had.
Forget the wrappings.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post

I could never believe most of the American people had the wool pulled
over their eyes by him then.
it's not unprecedented in American history
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petrock.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	59974  
Old 10-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this is an ONION article right??

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Spence, how are we supposed to view an article where the author says this..."In my opinion, Obama has governed as a moderate conservative".

Is this one of those "parody" articles? Or was the author on an acid trip when he wrote that?

Stimulus, Obamacare, appointing Sonya Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, adding trillions to the debt, resisting the exploitation of natural resources on public land,...yes, this agenda is right out of the "moderate conservative" manifesto.

John McCain is a moderate conservative. Obama is light years to the left of John McCain.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #12
Liv2Fish

Vaclav Klaus, former president of the Czech Republic sums it up pretty concisely.

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools, such as those who made him their president."

There are now enough of "them" here and voting (illegally) to keep the "hope" alive.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
PaulS

I always wondered who exactly "them" was. I always thought it was code for "Blacks".
Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I always wondered who exactly "them" was. I always thought it was code for "Blacks".
I view "them" as the lazy, thoughtless, ignorant rabble. No skin color connotation.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
PaulS

Any does anyone wonder why the Repub. party has a compassion problem.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
Nebe

I don't wonder. I know
Old 10-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
I don't wonder. I know
We have a compasison problem not because of what we say and do, but because of what some in the media claim that we say and do. And that works on "them", the thoughtless simpletons, who believe everything they hear on MSNBC, and never listen to what a Republican is actually saying.

Try reading this study, it shows that conservatives (who as a whole, have less money than liberals, which is intuitive given the liberal headquarters in Hollywood and the Upper West Side of Manhattan) give more money and time to charity, than liberals.

Nebe/Pauls, I'm not saying all conservatives are good, there are plenty of jerks. Nor am I saying that all liberals are bad, there are plenty of generous, loving liberals. What I'm saying is this...if you have bought into the liberal myth that liberals have a monopoly on compassion, then you have been duped and are officially part of "them", and you should demand more from yourself. Try listening to what Republicans are actually saying, as opposed to what Al Sharpton claims we are saying.

Try driving through any big city in Connecticut (Hartford, New Haven Bridgeport), and look at all the good that liberal policies have done for the poor. Because those places will not elect a Republican for anything, ever. Please tell me how the conservatives could possibly have done worse? I'm all ears...

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=2682730&page=1
Old 10-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Liberal platform for dealing with black poverty...destroy the black culture by (1) providing financial incentives for black children to have more black children, and celebrating the fact that the nuclear family is an anachronism. Mock any attempts that conservatives make to change this behavior. (2) make blacks addicted to welfare, killing the intrinsic drive to be self-sufficient. Give them just enough welfare to postpone death, but not nearly enough to move up the economic ladder. Make blacks terrified that any elected Republican will kick them off welfare (it was OK for Bill Clinton to do that, but if a conservative does it, it's racist and lacks compassion (3) tell blacks that nothing they do is ever their fault, that it's all because of the white man, preferably a white man wearing a suit. In this way, liberals can feel as if they are helping, yet still not have to worry that blacks will be in line with them on the ferry to Marthas Vineyard.

Conservative platform for dealing with black poverty...stop the cycle of kids having kids. If someone has the ability to work, give them the tools they need to climb out of poverty on their own. If someone cannot work, take care of them the best we can. Teach them to be responsible and accountable and self-reliant.

The liberal way has been such a smashing success, i can see why you claim that my side lacks compassion, for suggesting that we try something else.

How much damage are you willing to let liberal ideology do to the black community, before admitting that we need to try a different approach?

I don't get it. I look at our cities, which are abject failures, and I say to myself "whatever policies have been implemented here, are clearly not working". I don't get how one could possibly arrive at a different conclusion, maybe Eben or Paul S can enlighten me.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #19
Liv2Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I view "them" as the lazy, thoughtless, ignorant rabble. No skin color connotation.
^^^ Skin color means nothing to me. It's the people who have flocked here for the handouts and have learned how to live off of the system and not contribute to it. I agree, there are plenty who have left home to seek the american dream and have done so, but the american dream aint what it used to be.

I know a guy who claims he's legally blind, gets a check yet drives an Escalade and works construction on the side for cash as a helper. He can read the serial number on a $100 bill from across the room. His wife is disabled due to chronic back pain. These are "them" and there are millions of them and "they will vote for whoever will maintain the handout status.

Until the first election when Mr. Obama ran, none of "them" actually voted. Enter ACORN, fueled buy our palls Al and Jesse with the "tour of "education"" and voila, they're in and will stay in unless something major changes.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Old 10-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
buckman

Quote:
Any does anyone wonder why the Repub. party has a compassion problem.
You view it as compassion the Republicans view it as responsibility
Old 10-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #21
PaulS

thoughtless, ignorant rabble?
Old 10-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
thoughtless, ignorant rabble?
Yes. For example, anyone who thinks that Republicans have no compassion, could very accurately be described as "thoughtless", because it's something that is demonstrably false to anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty. One can only believe that if they only listen to something like MSNBC.

In my opinion, it's those who support liberal economic policies who care nothing for the poor. Here's why I say that. In the CT big cities (Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven) there are alomost no elected Republicans anywhere. These places are literally as liberal as it gets. And they are hell-holes. In my opinion, anyone who looks at those places and concludes "yes, I want to continue the policies that directly created this Godforesaken sh*thole", cannot really care about the poor. Conservatives, like me, look at those cities and say "OK, liberalism has clearly failed these people, we need to try something else".

Liberals want more of the same for these people. Conservatives want to take a different approach, to try something that MAYBE will work better. People like you, call that "un-compassionate" on my part. Thats bullsh*t.

Try making that wrong.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
PaulS

Face it, you show no compassion here for anyone less fortunate than you. So they're ignorant rabble?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #24
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Read an article a few months ago by a Dr. who describes how the "Underclass" is created. It starts with a breakdown of the Family and government gets them hooked on welfare.

Also makes the discinction between being "Poor" and impoverished.

http://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/file/May-June14.pdf

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 10-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Read an article a few months ago by a Dr. who describes how the "Underclass" is created. It starts with a breakdown of the Family and government gets them hooked on welfare.

Also makes the discinction between being "Poor" and impoverished.

http://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/file/May-June14.pdf
right...a permanent dependent underclass to keep you in power and provide evidence regarding the success of your various "created" programs to keep them keeping you in power...from a Statist's point of view, growing numbers from any class dependent on their programs is evidence of success and cause for celebration and reason for creation or expansion of these and other programs which should keep them solidly in power....they are very proud of and will endlessly defend what they have created...it's like this....some look at it and think "this can't be good for our village"....others look at it and think "if we can create a bunch of these we can control the village FOREVER! bwwaaahaaahaaa"...Happy Halloween
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dr-frankenstein.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	59986   Click image for larger version

Name:	special-government-dependence-index-2013-preview.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	59987  

Last edited by scottw; 10-28-2014 at 04:10 AM..
Old 10-28-2014, 04:49 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Face it, you show no compassion here for anyone less fortunate than you. So they're ignorant rabble?
Paul, when I look at a failing big city, I say "these people deserve much better than this. The policies in place are not working, we need to try something else."

When you see these same failing cities, you say it's "not compassionate" to think we need to try different things.

I ask you to make that wrong, and you launch a baseless insult. It's all you can do, because you can't refute what I'm saying, I'm holding all the cards. Liberalism in this country NEEDS a large underclass, dependent of the government for everything, to maintain a sufficient voting block. You claim that's compassion?

I'll ask again, how can you possibly drive by a large failing city, and not conclude that we need to do something drastically different for these people? What we have in place isn't working, and in most places, what we have in place is pure liberalism. I dare you to make that wrong.

Try to respond with something other than racisthatecrimeintolerantwaronwomenkeepyourrosarie soffmyovaries.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
right...a permanent dependent underclass to keep you in power and provide evidence regarding the success of your various "created" programs to keep them keeping you in power...from a Statist's point of view, growing numbers from any class dependent on their programs is evidence of success and cause for celebration and reason for creation or expansion of these and other programs which should keep them solidly in power....they are very proud of and will endlessly defend what they have created...it's like this....some look at it and think "this can't be good for our village"....others look at it and think "if we can create a bunch of these we can control the village FOREVER! bwwaaahaaahaaa"...Happy Halloween
BINGO.

Even if someone didn't know anything about American politics, if one looks at these poor urban areas, the only compassionate conclusion would be "these people deserve better. Whatever policies are in place, whichever political party those policies originate from, are clearly not working, we need to try something radically different".

PaulS, this is not abstract theory. We have real, irrefutable, empirical evidence that shows what happens when liberal economic policies are in place. It is a disaster. Here in CT, we have some of the highest incomes in the nation. And we currently have one of the worst economic situations. Why? Because of two generations of pure, unchecked liberalism.

How do you begin to try making that wrong?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #28
buckman

What Paul doesn't say is what Paul fears will happen if the spigot is shut off to the many people that are now dependent. I hear it from my liberal friends, it will get ugly.
It truly attest to what liberals think of the people that are now dependent. They are the true racists. Liberals are the ones that think less of people that are not equal to them. Liberals are the ones that think people cannot take care of themselves. They need to be fed and controlled.
Liberals have labeled people as not smart enough, not strong enough, not secure enough, not physically able, not up to the proper standard to support themselves.
It really is degrading, the liberal mentality
Old 10-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #29
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
What Paul doesn't say is what Paul fears will happen if the spigot is shut off to the many people that are now dependent. I hear it from my liberal friends, it will get ugly.
It truly attest to what liberals think of the people that are now dependent. They are the true racists. Liberals are the ones that think less of people that are not equal to them. Liberals are the ones that think people cannot take care of themselves. They need to be fed and controlled.
Liberals have labeled people as not smart enough, not strong enough, not secure enough, not physically able, not up to the proper standard to support themselves.
It really is degrading, the liberal mentality
Labels? Was I the one with the labels in this post? Lazy, rabble, etc. Those poor underclass, so stupid to know they are being used.
They're just lazy, right?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #30
PaulS

What is the hero of the right Clive Bundy up to lately?