Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Olympic hockey

1 1, great game

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
We are all over on Facebook Paul......you have give yourself up to it!! LOL!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I still hate the shoot out, even when there's a good result.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

me too Mike.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I hate it so bad I almost always click the game off after the 5 minute overtime!!! Which I hate because they should be playing 5 on 5.....don't understand the 4 on 4 thing!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Sea Dangles

4 on 4 opens up the ice for more scoring opps Larry.Hoping to avoid the shootout.

That game was riveting!!!

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Play the game...play the overtime just as you played the game...5 on 5! I understand the premise....I just think it sucks!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

It's a necessary evil, though, in the Olympics, where you have only 4 teams in each group. You can't have games end in a tie, when only 8 teams go on to the medal round. But the medal round is like the NHL play-offs, and I think they should play until there's a winner decided by regular play, 5 on 5, like the NHL does in the play-offs. They have two different venues, so it's not like they have to squeeze in 4 quarterfinal games in one arena.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Yes great game,
Lucky the USA won
If not for the goal off its' mooring by an inch, it would not have gone to overtime

I saw one of Biteme's relatives score a goal
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
goosefish

Slovakian game---Best period of hockey I've seen this olympics.

goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
goosefish

That's the game. Chara coming home.

USA vs CZE tomorrow.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

What about USA out shooting Sweden 70 to 9. Hard to even imagine that.Most lopsided game I have ever heard of.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
Clogston29
xxx

sucks that US and Canada will meet in semis instead of finals. hopefully it will be the noon start on Friday. I feel a cough coming on, may have to bang in sick for that one.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Except for blowing out Austria in the prelims, Canada hasn't exactly been lighting the goal lamp. 2 goals on 57 shots today, against a goalie who hasn't played a single NHL game, and who was the 124th overall pick in last year's draft. Currently playing in the ECHL.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Tuuka and the Finns take out Russia! But that did not look like the committed Russian squads we are used to seeing, at least from what I saw, which was only the third period. I'm guessing that every member of the Russian team is making plans to play out their careers and live out their retirement in North America.......

Will Tuuka be able to steal a gold here?
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Except for blowing out Austria in the prelims, Canada hasn't exactly been lighting the goal lamp. 2 goals on 57 shots today, against a goalie who hasn't played a single NHL game, and who was the 124th overall pick in last year's draft. Currently playing in the ECHL.
Think we could see that kid in a Tampa Bay sweater pretty soon.... Yzerman had a pretty good view of him in that game. Babcock will probably try to trade for him.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #17
goosefish

I like these match ups. The swedes and the fins have got to be rivals--their neighbors. I'm excited to see that game. It should be back-and- forth wide open European style hockey. Go Rask.

If the US plays and puts the puck in the net by all the different players that have scored and if Canada plays the way the have been--then I'm going with USA winning gold.

However, you watch, Canada shows up and plays their best game of the Olympics against us and we go down with a loss.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #18
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Looking at this tournament strictly from goaltenders, the US has to ride with Quick in goal. It would be crazy not to. And I would rather have him over Price or Luongo..... Now a gold medal game against Rask.... I can't pick one over the other.
But getting past Canada is going to be tough. Very physical game will take a lot out of whoever wins going into the final. I'm not convinced the Americans will look as good vs. Canada as they have leading up to this game. They definitely won't have as much room to operate. The Kane, Kessler, and Oshie line is due to light it up. Let's hope it is against the Canadians.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #19
Clogston29
xxx

Canada will be tough. Usa has looked good against nobodies. Russia out played them for significant portions and easily could have won. Should be entertaining.
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #20
Bronko

During the selection process, the US team was widely panned by the pundits. But it appears the approach to build a team with a number skilled guys as well as a group of sand paper guys is paying off. Its no secret that players despise playing against the likes of Dustin Brown, Ryan Kessler, David Backes and Ryan Callahan. The above named all have strong offensive capabilites but are relentless defensively and torture you physically the entire game. The Olympic style has always been the "big ice" all offense, all skill mentality. This US team although highly skilled is built around physical defensively responsible players. Tomorrow's game against Canada should be unbelievable.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #21
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
During the selection process, the US team was widely panned by the pundits. But it appears the approach to build a team with a number skilled guys as well as a group of sand paper guys is paying off. Its no secret that players despise playing against the likes of Dustin Brown, Ryan Kessler, David Backes and Ryan Callahan. The above named all have strong offensive capabilites but are relentless defensively and torture you physically the entire game. The Olympic style has always been the "big ice" all offense, all skill mentality. This US team although highly skilled is built around physical defensively responsible players. Tomorrow's game against Canada should be unbelievable.
Pete, great post. Hit the nail on the head. I can't remember an Olympics with so many blocked shots. All these guys are making sacrifices.

Hopefully the ladies win today.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Still have a little problem rooting for Phil Kessel... B's traded him for two first round picks that ended up being Tyler Sequin and Doug Hamilton. Kessel seems to have matured in the defensive scheme (he had zero interest in backchecking when he was here) and has shown that he is a world class sniper in this tournament.

Swiss women are a minute away from upsetting Sweden for the Bronze
Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #23
fishbones

The loss of Tavares is going to hurt the Canadian team, but they have a lot of depth. Should be an exciting game.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #24
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Think we could see that kid in a Tampa Bay sweater pretty soon.... Yzerman had a pretty good view of him in that game. Babcock will probably try to trade for him.
Yeah, as Ben Bishop's back-up. You don't dump the best goalie in the East right now for a maybe, based on his Olympic performance. But his trade value probably went up. Jimmy Howard is the US' #3 goalie, but Babcock might have some interest in the Latvian to replace Jonas Gustavsson as the back up---although he is Sweden's #2 goalie in Sochi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefish View Post
I like these match ups. The swedes and the fins have got to be rivals--their neighbors. I'm excited to see that game. It should be back-and- forth wide open European style hockey. Go Rask.

If the US plays and puts the puck in the net by all the different players that have scored and if Canada plays the way the have been--then I'm going with USA winning gold.

However, you watch, Canada shows up and plays their best game of the Olympics against us and we go down with a loss.
Sweden-Finland is a bigger rivalry than Bs-Habs.

The Finns haven't played the wide-open European game. They've been grinders, like the US D.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

US vs. Canada stakes

Things just got real, yo. Let the games begin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_h0_w840_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	58328  
Old 02-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #26
rphud
GrandBob

Hey, I heard PJK was actually backchecking in the Latvia game!
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote