Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 07-16-2009, 02:54 AM   #31
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKFISH View Post
Just stating the facts as I see them.
I'm very very sorry to hear about your son,

BUT, I'm damn glad we see the world through different eyes...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #32
wheresmy50

I think everyone is overreacting to this guy's post. First I'd like to state that the circumstances of this particular crime remove it from my example, and what this guy did was both criminal and morally reprehensible. I also think the point wasn't stated in the best way.

Still, we tend to set up strange artificial divisions that exist only in our minds when it comes to things like dogs. People kill their dogs all the time. Many of you probably have. I have, I just paid someone else to do it. Walking a dog into the woods to be shot is no differnt than taking it to the vet to be killed. Paying someone to kill is the same as killing yourself and you can't really argue that one is any more painless than the other. Same thing with buying chicken versus wringing a chicken's neck. We're so far removed from our roots that we've set up a differentiation based on whether or not you have to wash your hands. We've even created little niceties around the process like using the term "put to sleep" instead of "executed".

If this guy was a farmer who had 2 cows, he could kill them for any reason whatsoever and no one would bat an eye. The fact that dogs are cute and affectionate towards people is what makes all the difference here. They are both animals, there really isn't much difference academically.

If this guy had done nothing more than omitted the whole hanging thing, I doubt there is much anyone could do. You are allowed to kill your animals, and shooting one in the head is about as painless as it gets.

I saw a cow killed once for beef on a small farm. Not pretty, and I can't imagine it was better than what this wacko did to his dogs.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #33
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy50 View Post
I think everyone is overreacting to this guy's post. First I'd like to state that the circumstances of this particular crime remove it from my example, and what this guy did was both criminal and morally reprehensible. I also think the point wasn't stated in the best way.

Still, we tend to set up strange artificial divisions that exist only in our minds when it comes to things like dogs. People kill their dogs all the time. Many of you probably have. I have, I just paid someone else to do it. Walking a dog into the woods to be shot is no differnt than taking it to the vet to be killed. Paying someone to kill is the same as killing yourself and you can't really argue that one is any more painless than the other. Same thing with buying chicken versus wringing a chicken's neck. We're so far removed from our roots that we've set up a differentiation based on whether or not you have to wash your hands. We've even created little niceties around the process like using the term "put to sleep" instead of "executed".

If this guy was a farmer who had 2 cows, he could kill them for any reason whatsoever and no one would bat an eye. The fact that dogs are cute and affectionate towards people is what makes all the difference here. They are both animals, there really isn't much difference academically.

If this guy had done nothing more than omitted the whole hanging thing, I doubt there is much anyone could do. You are allowed to kill your animals, and shooting one in the head is about as painless as it gets.

I saw a cow killed once for beef on a small farm. Not pretty, and I can't imagine it was better than what this wacko did to his dogs.
You make some good points, but your comparisons aren't relevant to this case. First off, people have their dogs put to sleep because they are sick or too old to have a decent life. Second, chickens and cows are killed for food. These dogs were not killed for food. They were killed because the guy wanted to go on a cruise and couldn't afford to have the dogs boarded while he was gone. I bet he had plenty of money to spend while on vacation, though. And you think this was painless to the dogs? He fired 11 shots from a .22 to kill 2 dogs! Not exactly an execution stlyle killing. I tend to think that maybe the dogs felt some pain before passing on.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #34
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
I would not dismiss the laws of God, as they are the original basis for many of our laws, in this country. Without the word of god, how would we decide what is right and wrong. Unfortuanately, over the ages mankind has perverted those ideas to the point where today, evil is seen as good, and vise versa, just as the bible predicted would happen in the end times.
And even the so called authorities, who are supposed to uphold justice, have legalized and protected what god calls obomination, in the interest of political correctness. (a whole other topic, but I digress).
As far as greed is concerned, it seems to me that it is being used as an excuse, to punish a man for destroying his own property. I didn't read where a human was harmed in any way. I don't particularly approve of what he did, but I chose not to judge lest I be judged. Where as some of you seem to have a mob mentality, and would like to stone him.
As I said before if he brought the animals to the pound they would be put to sleep and everything would be fine. And I would think most of you guys have killed a few fish and or animals in your time. I know I have. The difference is that in our free thinking, modern, and perverted world we have mistakenly elevated some animals to the level of mankind. In fact above some of mankind. I read every day about killings around the world, that seem less important than these killings perhaps because the victims are not like us. Human but not american. And that i see as a perversion. I don't expect anyone to agree, I'm not looking for any man's approval, Just stating the facts as I see them.
You seem to be ignoring my point, I can understand, I'm using your "good book" against you.

He exhibited greed. He killed one of God's creatures out of greed.
Explain that away.

Throw Acedia in there too.

I'll give you some time to discuss it over with your bible class.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #35
HESH2

wonder if he checked with michael vick before hand.
HESH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #36
ROCKFISH

Not ignoring your point at all. You say he killed out of greed, I say thats irrelevent. Whatever his reasoning, and I'm sure it was more complicated than described in the article. He destroyed his own property. God gave man dominion over the animal world. He comands us not to kill each other. Animals have no such protection, and that was clearly understood until modern times. The ancient temples were like slaughterhouses, where animals and birds were sacrificed daily. We kill animals by the millions for food clothing etc.
Uncounted thousands of dogs and cats are put to death because nobody wants them. Zillions of fish are killed for food, recreation, or accidental bycatch. You seem to have no problem with that. And rightly so, as god created man in his own likeness and image and gave him dominion over the animal world.
There is in modern times, as we approach the end of time, a mindset that we know more than god and can change the rules. Because we live in a wealthy country and have so much free time we can spend time with and become friends with our animals. We even imagine that they can think like us and have rights. Thats perfectly alright if you want to treat you pets like people, and love them like your children. You are free to do that.
However when you tell a man he does not have the right to destroy his own animal, for any reason at all, it is a perversion. Just as perverted as trying to stop fisherman from fishing, because fishing hurts. Just as perverted as trying to stop people from eating meat because animals have rights. Just as perverted as trying to stop people from wearing fur or leather. I do believe it is wrong to torture or prolong the agony of an animal unneccesarily, and I personally would never do that myself. But as I read the article, it seemed to me that people were so horrified by the dead carcasses in the dumpster that they went to extreme means to build a case against this person, and frankly I believe the details have been exaggerated.
They actually performed necropsies on these animals as if investigating a murder, and that to me is perverted. Do any of you think this could have happened 200 years ago even in this country, or 2000 years ago in any country.

Last edited by ROCKFISH; 07-16-2009 at 04:32 PM..
ROCKFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #37
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
People kill their dogs all the time. Many of you probably have. I have, I just paid someone else to do it. Walking a dog into the woods to be shot is no differnt than taking it to the vet to be killed. Paying someone to kill is the same as killing yourself and you can't really argue that one is any more painless than the other.
I don't know too many people who bring young, or middle aged, healthy dogs to a vet to be euthanized because they're being inconvenienced by them. Most ethical vets will refuse to do it.

"Hey, Doc, can you put Fido and Spot down for me? I want to go on a cruise next week, and I can't find anyone to dog-sit for me, and even though I have the money for a cruise, I'm a little short of cash (or maybe just too goddamned cheap) to board them".

Try running that line past a vet and see whether he does it, or picks up the phone to dime you out to the SPCA.

And the vet doesn't string up an old or sick dog from a pipe before administering the lethal injection.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #38
wheresmy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
I don't know too many people who bring young, or middle aged, healthy dogs to a vet to be euthanized because they're being inconvenienced by them. Most ethical vets will refuse to do it.

"Hey, Doc, can you put Fido and Spot down for me? I want to go on a cruise next week, and I can't find anyone to dog-sit for me, and even though I have the money for a cruise, I'm a little short of cash (or maybe just too goddamned cheap) to board them".

Try running that line past a vet and see whether he does it, or picks up the phone to dime you out to the SPCA.

And the vet doesn't string up an old or sick dog from a pipe before administering the lethal injection.

People kill dogs of all ages for biting all the time. I suspect that many vets would kill your dog for you if you said it bit someone whether it actually did or not. I know someone who killed their springer spaniel because it bit someone.

I think I was pretty clear that the conditions of the specific crime in question were different than my example of simply killing a dog. I think it was in the second sentence of my post.

My point was that people react to someone killing a dog differently than that of less cute and affectionate animals, when it's really not much different. I know have the stats in front of me, but I suppose dozens of people were probably murdered in this country during the life of this thread. Plus I felt like people were really piling it on that guy when he really didn't deserve it.

Article 1, Section 9:
No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #39
Backbeach Jake

If you take an animal as a pet it's a whole nother thing than raising an animal for food. To kill a pet for selfish convience is immoral. To mistreat an animal raised for food is immoral as well. The man's a friggin amoral %$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$ .

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #40
ROCKFISH

Many young healthy animals are put to sleep (killed), legally by various government organizations (dog pounds etc.) because they are unwanted, and it is not convenient, or economical to keep them.
Most of these animals are held, terrified in a small cage until it is time to exterminate them. Breeders of all types of creatures routinely cull (kill) specimens that they have no use for or are less than perfect.
Wether you talk about pedigreed dogs, farm animals, racehorses, or tropical fish, culling of unwanted individuals has always been the norm.
On the other hand, the killing of unwanted children (abortion), has never been accepted until modern times. In our enlightened, modern and perverted world abortion has become legal while the politically correct activists fight for the rights of animals, and same sex marriage.
How long do you think god will allow this world to continue? He must vomit every time he looks down on us. Once before he destroyed the world because mankind had perverted his laws, and he said he would do it again.
Not a popular topic, but its right there in the bible, for all to read, and has been for thousands of years.

Last edited by ROCKFISH; 07-16-2009 at 05:38 PM..
ROCKFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #41
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

You have a right to your opinion. I have a right to mine.

You have the right to say that mine is %$%$%$%$ed up.

I have the right to say that yours is %$%$%$%$ed up.

That's the difference between a republic and a theocracy.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #42
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Dog is man's best friend

PERIOD
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #43
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
I suspect that many vets would kill your dog for you if you said it bit someone whether it actually did or not.
Uhm. No.

Quote:
How long do you think god will allow this world to continue? He must vomit every time he looks down on us.
For people like you using his name to justify psychos doing ridiculous things? Yes. He must.

Quote:
Wether you talk about pedigreed dogs, farm animals, racehorses, or tropical fish, culling of unwanted individuals has always been the norm.
Yeaaaaaaah right.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote