Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

washer/dryer suggestions....

I had a pair of Maytag Neptune front load washer and dryer units. At the time a few years ago...they were suppose to be the latest and greatest units. Utter nightmare. This machine can chew thru front doors like nothing. I hear this was common. I had picked up a maintenance plan and lucky did not have to pay for the ton of service calls I had on this machine. I actually made friends with the service guy I saw him so often. I am done with these now and just want a new high end home machine.

So...I plan to junk these units and want to buy the best units for home use available. I don't care about saving a few bucks I just want the best units made for non-commercial home use. What do you think are the best units made. (fully featured)
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
WESTPORTMAFIA

I have had my lg's for 6 years. Tromm dds washer and dd system dryer. Stainless steel drums is the way to go. I've had no issues with these. Everything else in the house had issues after 5 years. All top of the line stuff too. The only things that have survived are the lg washer and dryer. Knock on wood!!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL. I am on my 24th year on my Sears washer. Replaced the dryer 2 years ago and did 1 drive belt replacement on that so that lasted 22 years. Had to replace drive union rubber thingy on washer several years ago but that's it. Best $300 bucks I ever spent was on that washer. Washes clothes just fine still. My wife was oogling one of those fancy jobs and I told her not until the one we got dies and I may just get another cheaper model Sears one again. I could care less what they look like. All that matters is if they clean clothes.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
LOL. I am on my 24th year on my Sears washer. Replaced the dryer 2 years ago and did 1 drive belt replacement on that so that lasted 22 years. Had to replace drive union rubber thingy on washer several years ago but that's it. Best $300 bucks I ever spent was on that washer. Washes clothes just fine still. My wife was oogling one of those fancy jobs and I told her not until the one we got dies and I may just get another cheaper model Sears one again. I could care less what they look like. All that matters is if they clean clothes.
you know how much water those things use and energy they use, I have the maytag neptune series washer and dryer, had them since 2002, and with 2 kids they get used alot, if I were to get new ones I would get the ones with the controls on the front and put a countertop over them,
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

got well water and a dry well. I could care less about water and Middleboro Electric, cheap juice. Got 1 wife and 1, 12 year old daughter and I got a job that gets me filthy every day. No one washes more clothes than a 12 year old girl. It has taken a lickin and keeps on tickin. I'll stick to what has been workin until it works no more.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
I have had my lg's for 6 years. Tromm dds washer and dd system dryer. Stainless steel drums is the way to go. I've had no issues with these. Everything else in the house had issues after 5 years. All top of the line stuff too. The only things that have survived are the lg washer and dryer. Knock on wood!!!
I think I've had at least a half dozen service calls on my LG's...they're probably a few years older than yours.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Higgie

I've got a set of Samsung front load that have been great for the three years I've had them. Quiet, and efficient.
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Years ago Maytag was the best hands down.
They went down hill big time, as evident anyone seen the Maytag repair guy doing the commercials anymore ?
He's too busy fixing them to make time for commercials.
I replaced my at the time 25+ year old Maytag washer & gas dryer a few years ago.
Bought Whirlpool Duet front loaders.
Well spent $
SUPER quiet & SUPER efficient !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Years ago Maytag was the best hands down.
They went down hill big time, as evident anyone seen the Maytag repair guy doing the commercials anymore ?
He's too busy fixing them to make time for commercials.
I replaced my at the time 25+ year old Maytag washer & gas dryer a few years ago.
Bought Whirlpool Duet front loaders.
Well spent $
SUPER quiet & SUPER efficient !

Got the same washer, no issues, much less water use.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
WESTPORTMAFIA

10 matching washers and dryers that cleaned up in our tests - Yahoo!
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
tysdad115

My vote is for the Duet too, mine are 8 years old . Only had the pump fail (kid left marbles and change in his pockets) and the dryer one sensor failed. I serviced them myself so no expense to pay someone. They get a ton of use too, if the wife is happy, I'm happy.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Completely with you on this! Bought our house about 8 years ago and still using the washer dryer that came with it. Washer (Whirpool) is probably about 20-25 years old and dryer (maytag) about 30. Keep saying we will replace when they "die" but they keep on ticking.Hubby fixed timer on dryer and one other part I cant remember, washer he replaced the selection/on/off knob because I yanked it right off one day AT first I could not wait for them to "die" but after listening to friends and family complain about the problems, odors, NOT GETTING CLOTHES CLEAN, etc with the new machines, I want no part of them. My hsband is a mechanic and I am sorry to say 2 gallons of water just wont cut it! I do have city water which is cheap enough and a septic to treat it all. If you want cry about the environment thats fine but dont forget about all those 5 year old "friendly" washers that will end up in a landfill somewhere.

Sorry I kind of got on a rant there and have no real help to offer as to which new one to buy because I dont believe they make any of them like they used to. I will say I have not met anyone that actually likes their frontload washer though!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
Matt D

Did an addition to the house 2 summers ago and part of it was moving the laundry room out of the cellar and onto the main floor. Washer was on it's last leg so wifey wanted to upgrade to a fancy schmancy front loader. Picked up a Bosch set for a really good deal when MA was running the energy rebate program.

I hate to say it (because something's sure to happen to it now) but they've been flawless so far and the wife loves em'. So easy to run even I can do a load now and then.

The only negative is the washer can shake like a sonofagun during the hyperspeed spinout cycle. Tried some dampening rubber blocks under the feet and it helped a little, but still can be annoying sometimes. It's much worse sometimes than others. Probably has to do with how the load is balanced.

Otherwise they're great.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Second the Bosches
Ours are stacked. Balance well. Does sound like a jet engine on the spin cycle. I am rough on them..... screws, nails, etc left in pockets. Really pisses her off, even with the warranty plan.

Last edited by nightfighter; 12-03-2012 at 06:15 PM..
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Sea Dangles

Can not hear my Bosch dishwasher run.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
X2

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Sorry. That was misleading.... It is not loud, but if you are next to it, the sound it makes reminds me of a turbine engine.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I did buy one of them. Quiet as a church mouse.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #19
gf2020

I do 80% of the laundry at our house. We had a set of the upper end Sears Kenmore front loaders for ~6 years. Had several problems with both the washer and the dryer over that time. Replaced them both with a high efficiency Maytag top loader and a matching Maytag dryer about 2 years ago and - knock on wood - no issues so far. They hold more laundry than the front loaders and they wash and dry in less time.

I bought them both at Home Depot and their extended warranty is the best bargain out there. I think it was $99 for 5 years.

P.S. Had a Bosch dishwasher for ~6 years as well. It needed repairs over that time too, however, so I recently replaced it with a Maytag dishwasher (made in the USA). Definitely not as quiet as the Bosch but it seems to wash better and hopefully will last longer.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote