Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
basswipe

Cell phones and driving

I say its time to ban the practice.

I was almost killed by an idiot who was on his goddamn cell phone while driving.

Picture this:
I'm driving northbound on East Main Rd. in Portsmouth.I'm in the left lane approaching the McCorrie Lane light which is green for me.I see this guy in a gray BMW suv,he's on the phone.This %$%$%$%$%$%$%$ without even looking pulls out(right hand turn) and because he's doing this one handed can't make the turn ends up in the left lane.I had to pull a third laner into oncoming traffic to avoid this idiot.So I now slow it down to about 5mph so this ass would catch up to me but because he's such a coward he proceeds to drive even slower while putting on his turn signal to try to fake me out.Eventually he realizes that I'm not fooled and makes a left turn into the Cumby's across from St.Barnasba's Church,but I kept going because if I'd turned around I'd at the very least being held for vandalism because I would've crushed his phone and at the worst charged for murder because I would've plunged my filet knife into his freakin neck!I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not turning around.

I've had way to many incidents with idiots on their phones while driving and I'm %$%$%$%$ing tired of it.Its time to ban handheld phones while driving.

To the %$%$%$%$%$%$%$ who almost killed me:
If your pathetic life is so self-important that you need to talk while driving and put lives like mine at risk...GET A %$%$%$%$ING HANDS FREE UNIT!!!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Some people just don't get it Basswipe. Prob., for the best you didn't turn around.
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman 6 View Post
Some people just don't get it Basswipe. Prob., for the best you didn't turn around.
Your signature is how I feel about this.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
BW from AZ

We have a law like that in Arizona but its for texting. Its not enforced till there is an accident. Still theres no excuse. The things I've seen people do on the road is unbelievable. Some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time and think nothing about putting a 4,000 pound car on auto pilot while they make a call. It must be an epidemic across the U.S.
BW from AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

It has nothing to do with the phones, or the use of headsets. There are a good percentage of people who can't talk and drive at the same time.

How many times have you been in a car with a driver who can't carry on a conversation without taking his/her eyes off the road, and turning their head to face you--while you sit there grabbing the edges of your seat as you close in on the car ahead of you?

When I was about 30 years younger, I was with someone who ran a cyclist into the weeds trying to light his pipe

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
You folks are kidding yourselves if you think "hands free" is the answer......the problem is not the fact people are holding a phone....the problem is they "zone out" when they are speaking on the phone! You ever get on the phone in the car and drive about 10 minutes and when you arrive at your location you barely remember the ride????

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
It has nothing to do with the phones, or the use of headsets. There are a good percentage of people who can't talk and drive at the same time.

How many times have you been in a car with a driver who can't carry on a conversation without taking his/her eyes off the road, and turning their head to face you--while you sit there grabbing the edges of your seat as you close in on the car ahead of you?

When I was about 30 years younger, I was with someone who ran a cyclist into the weeds trying to light his pipe
It has everything to do with the phones.Your very last statement says it all Mike.Trying to light the pipe and driving with your knee is no different than trying to make a right hand turn onto a highway phone in one hand and the other trying to turn the wheel.No difference except puffing up while driving is illegal.

As far as your initial statement I know I can most certainly carry on a conversation with a passenger and keep both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road,its called common sense.Common sense also dictates STAY OFF THE %$%$%$%$ING CELL WHILE DRIVING.My life is worth more than some a-holes conversation.Period
Old 08-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
You folks are kidding yourselves if you think "hands free" is the answer......the problem is not the fact people are holding a phone....the problem is they "zone out" when they are speaking on the phone! You ever get on the phone in the car and drive about 10 minutes and when you arrive at your location you barely remember the ride????
Negative BF.Both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road is EVERYTHING!Nothing can substitute that.Nothing.

I've seen it all and I'm done with a-holes who can't keep both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

You believe what you will.....ever sit in your living room and talk on the phone in front of the tv and not remember what you were watching??? Problem is people are distracted and yes...I agree they need to focus on the number 1 task at hand....driving the damn car! Not putting on makeup, not reading, not scratching scratch tickets, not talking on the phone, not texting, not fumbling for butts!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
basswipe

Quote:
You believe what you will.....ever sit in your living room and talk on the phone in front of the tv and not remember what you were watching??? Problem is people are distracted and yes...I agree they need to focus on the number 1 task at hand....driving the damn car! Not putting on makeup, not reading, not scratching scratch tickets, not talking on the phone, not texting, not fumbling for butts!!!!
I was almost KILLED by someone who didn't have both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road.Simple.What's not to understand here?

Ever been killed in your living room because you were on the phone and forgot what you were watching?Of course not.Forgetting what you saw on TV because of a telephone conversation in your living room can't be compared to forgetting how to drive because of a phone call.I avoided death by milliseconds,literally.

Time to ban handheld cells and driving.Period.After today you will not change my mind.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I love people talking on cell phones while driving !!!
It keeps me employed !!!
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I love people talking on cell phones while driving !!!
It keeps me employed !!!
Tow truck driver or EMT?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Tow truck driver or EMT?

Auto body tech
Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
basswipe

Quote:
Auto body tech
Cells are definitely your friend($)!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

But the person was on a cell phone? You say tomato and I say tomatoe. People have been careless driving for years....and yet the rate of death and accidents has grown by leaps and bounds since the inception of the cell phone??

Old 08-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
But the person was on a cell phone? You say tomato and I say tomatoe. People have been careless driving for years....and yet the rate of death and accidents has grown by leaps and bounds since the inception of the cell phone??

Gotta disagree Larry.
Things were MUCH worse (and deadly) in years past with drinking and driving !
Old 08-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I am betting there are more deaths and injuries due to cell use than alcohol??

Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #18
basswipe

Quote:
There was no doubt.This guy was on his cell ,I saw the whites of his eyes as my truck swerved to avoid him.He was on the goddamn phone.

No tomatos or tomatoes here.This dousch almost killed Jane and I because he was on the phone and could not properly drive his vehicle.

And yes BF the accident/death HAS grown by leaps and bounds since the inception of the cell phone.Time to ban handheld cells while driving.You won't change my mind.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #19
Raider Ronnie

Quote:

No way Larry, I've seen it both ways!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #20
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I am not sure if you realize that we are on the same page BW?? I agree cell phones should be banned from use while driving...but hands free is not the answer! Talking on the phone while driving is as much a distraction as reading, putting on makeup, etc. People need to focus...we agree there also!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #21
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
No way Larry, I've seen it both ways!
And this means what?? I know you see the result of both drinking and driving and cell phone use while driving....but I would bet just about anything (if you can prove it beyond a doubt) that there are more drunk driving mishaps then cell phone mishaps! I will see what numbers I can dig up.....if I can figure out where to start!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
basswipe

Quote:
Of course not.Why would you make such a comparison?DUI is already illegal,yet the penalties for it in the US are a joke.

Why do you or the wife wear a seatbelt?Answer...in case of something happening.Something almost happened to me and mine today because of someone on a cell.Time to ban handheld cell use while driving.You won't change my mind on this.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
basswipe

Quote:
I am not sure if you realize that we are on the same page BW?? I agree cell phones should be banned from use while driving...but hands free is not the answer! Talking on the phone while driving is as much a distraction as reading, putting on makeup, etc. People need to focus...we agree there also!
No.Hands free is the answer.It allows for both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road.Very simple.After today you can't convince me otherwise, its time to ban handheld cells while driving.

I'm done with this one.I've already said it...my life is worth more than some a-hole's conversation.

Done and out.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #24
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

You are not making much sense?? I understand you but not sensing that you are comprehending what I am saying. I am however finished here....we have our own beliefs on cell phone use while driving. You think hands free is the way to go......seems odd to me as I think cell use while driving should be banned outright.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #25
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

How can I post a link?? Maybe someone can do this.....google statistics on cell phone/auto accidents and the info to prove my point is in the first link!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #26
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

http://www.newsdial.com/technology/c...tatistics.html

WOW! Can't believe I did it! Here ya go! Chew on these stats for a bit......stats are the same for hands free or traditional cell use. Have a safe night.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #27
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

basswipe--next time you're behind the wheel, hold your empty left hand to your ear for 3 minutes and see if that makes you drive with your head up your ass

NY has had a hands-free law for years--it was the first state to enact one. I wish I had a buck for everytime I got stuck behind some numbnuts driving 45 in the left lane, wrapped up in his/her hands-free conversation. I wouldn't have had to move out of there in the first place.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
sokinwet

Didn't realize that MA law required one hand on the wheel at all times...guess that means no more practicing on the duck call while driving!
sokinwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #29
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

I have at least 2 times a week that someone crosses the the center line at me. Cel phones are bad while driving.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #30
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
basswipe--next time you're behind the wheel, hold your empty left hand to your ear for 3 minutes and see if that makes you drive with your head up your ass

NY has had a hands-free law for years--it was the first state to enact one. I wish I had a buck for everytime I got stuck behind some numbnuts driving 45 in the left lane, wrapped up in his/her hands-free conversation. I wouldn't have had to move out of there in the first place.
Mike if I take my left hand off the wheel for 3 mins for any reason that's 3 mins I'm driving at a disadvantage.Two hands on the wheel simply put is safer than one on the wheel.Period.

As far as being behind some "numbnut" on a handsfree unit going 45mph with both hands on the wheel,I'll take that over some a-hole pulling out into traffic anyday with only one hand on the wheel any %$%$%$%$ing day.