Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
buckman

Palin/ Biden debate?

Is it true that the moderator has a book about Obama due to come out on inaguration day? Sounds like two against one. What do you guys think?

Last edited by buckman; 10-01-2008 at 12:45 PM..
Old 10-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

If Palin can answer the Questions in a concise manner with the Intelligence and Quick Wit that she has exhibited in the past she should be fine.

COURIC: Why isn't it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families who are struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries; allow them to spend more and put more money into the economy instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN : That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, were ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the--it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that.

Wow I guess you're right......she's screwed. Amybe we can get Paris Hilton to moderate

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
mekcotuit

She's not even smart enough or quick enough to fake a response:

During the interview taped Monday that aired Tuesday, Couric asked the Republican vice presidential candidate what she reads.

“When it comes to establishing your worldview, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this to stay informed and to understand the world?” Couric asked.

“I’ve read most of them,” Palin responded, “again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media.”

“What, specifically?” Couric followed.

“Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years,” Palin said.

Couric pressed: “Can you name a few?”

Palin then spun her answer as if Couric was taking a jab at Alaska. “I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too,” she said. “Alaska isn’t a foreign country, where it’s kind of suggested, ‘Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking when you live up there in Alaska?’ Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.”

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
buckman

Ya, Biden's never screwed up. I think (hope) she'll do fine. I wonder how the left would feel iff the moderator had a book entitiled" The Making Of John McCain" due out. It's just a matter of ethics. The moderator stands to make thousands if Obama wins the election. I can see why we would think she would be be motivated to help Obama. As long as the high and mighty Bush wackers are OK with it then it must be ok.

I think she has been overcoached and a little bit star eyed. I guess that makes her a true outsider. I wouldn't call her stupid. She just has to learn how to BS answers like Rev Obama and then you guys will love her.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Is it true that the moderator has a book about Obama due to come out on inaguration day? Sounds like two against one. What do you guys think?
The McCain campaign understood she was anything but an arch conservative when they agreed to the terms. Given the debate format I'm not sure she can really fail, and odds are it won't matter anyway.

But that being said, if she did manage to fail in a big way it could really undermine the McCain campaign.

Biden's best bet is to just pretend she's not in the room.

-spence
Old 10-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'm sure if the Moderator does something inappropriate you will let us know.

Sorry, Palin is sounding more and more like "W"....last thing we need is another nitwit in the whitehouse......we're soon to get rid of the resident Savant....don't really feel the need to replace him.

And before you start calling me a free-wheelin, Tree-Hugging, Pro-choicing, tax and spending, Illegal Alien Supporting, Liberal Whacck job.....i got no problem with McCain, he sounds intelligent when he speaks, that ,in itself is a welcome change to the Circus Clown that currently resides in the Oval Office

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 10-01-2008 at 02:31 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

One of my biggest issues:
But on a conservative radio talk show program on Tuesday Sarah Palin sounded a bit more like the Sarah Palin the public got to know at the Republican convention.

“Oh, I think they’re [critics] just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe Six-Pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it,” she said.

I WANT someone who is not your average Joe six-pack. This someone who could be in charge of the country!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...b_n_96760.html

Around 7:30 in the video clip...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
buckman

No, we'll let CNN keep s posted. NO Bias-NoBS
Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Joe

Quote:
True. So really, she can't lose now. If she does poorly, that will be the reason cited.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
mekcotuit

Not saying Biden has never screwed up nor that he is the end all and be all. He can really go off on a tangent......but like it or not this is for the second most powerful position on the friggin planet and a decent knowledge of 8th grade American history, not to mention Foreign relations and geography is not asking too much!

Of concern to McCain's campaign, however, is a remaining and still-undisclosed clip from Palin's interview with Couric last week that has the political world buzzing.

The Palin aide, after first noting how "infuriating" it was for CBS to purportedly leak word about the gaffe, revealed that it came in response to a question about Supreme Court decisions.

After noting Roe vs. Wade, Palin was apparently unable to discuss any major court cases.

There was no verbal fumbling with this particular question as there was with some others, the aide said, but rather silence.

How about Brown vs. Board of Education, Dred Scott, Miranda, Abington Schools v. Schemp, etc????

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I'm sure if the Moderator does something inappropriate you will let us know.

Sorry, Palin is sounding more and more like "W"....last thing we need is another nitwit in the whitehouse......we're soon to get rid of the resident Savant....don't really feel the need to replace him.

And before you start calling me a free-wheelin, Tree-Hugging, Pro-choicing, tax and spending, Illegal Alien Supporting, Liberal Whacck job.....i got no problem with McCain, he sounds intelligent when he speaks, that ,in itself is a welcome change to the Circus Clown that currently resides in the Oval Office
I try not to direct my answers toward any one individual. Sorry if I struck a nerve.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

I'm sure she will be fair.

Maybe even ask Biden about when he got shot at in Baghdad.

Plagiarism and exaggerating being in danger show real insecurity.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
Nebe

It is rumored that Palin and Biden are planning on reenacting janet jackson's 'wardrobe failure' tonight. Stay tuned.

Especially YOU Buckman..
Old 10-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
Joe

She's had ten days or so to prepare, with the best coaching resources available, and the ability to bring notes along.
I think we'll see a major improvement with respect to Ms. Palin.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Nebe

Biden is going to tear her to pieces. Be prepared for plenty of stand up comedy and one liners from pailin. maybe she will show some cleavage to win over the male vote.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Maybe even ask Biden about when he got shot at in Baghdad.
While I don't think Biden was ever a real target (shot at) I think for someone who's not used to war, the very fact that there's fighting close enough by to cause danger would make one feel as thought there were being shot at.

Wasn't he on a plane that had a flare system triggered? Mortar rounds exploding nearby etc...

-spence
Old 10-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
While I don't think Biden was ever a real target (shot at) I think for someone who's not used to war, the very fact that there's fighting close enough by to cause danger would make one feel as thought there were being shot at.

-spence
No, that was the point he wasn't the target.
From what i understand from the news he was eating dinner at a hotel when a mortar round went off in the area.

Pretty sketchy as according to the news ,only one paper followed up on it,
vs just about every paper existing following up on Hillary's close brush with death from sniper fire.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
I wonder how the left would feel iff the moderator had a book entitiled" The Making Of John McCain" due out.
We wouldn't care and its just the lot of you looking for an excuse to claim there was bias?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
No, that was the point he wasn't the target.
From what i understand from the news he was eating dinner at a hotel when a mortar round went off in the area.

Pretty sketchy as according to the news ,only one paper followed up on it,
vs just about every paper existing following up on Hillary's close brush with death from sniper fire.
I've read that on one of his trips his aircraft deployed it's anti-missle flares...I don't care who you are, that's being shot at. I believe the mortar fire was close by, and they warned if it came closer they would have to seek shelter.

How many troops are killed in action because of random fire? I'd wager very few are specifically targeted, they are just in harms way. The dead are still dead.

Regardless, I don't see this as a stretch...Hillary's comment was certainly a stretch.

-spence
Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I try not to direct my answers toward any one individual. Sorry if I struck a nerve.
No Nerve Struck...I just tend to be a little sarcastic at times.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #21
Joe

Sure there's a bias....
Anybody from PBS is biased to the left. The conservatives eliminated most of the funding for PBS not too many years ago. Its been one long telethon ever since.
Can't blame them either. PBS is all pro-science shows and pro-liberal causes. I think that Teletubbie with the purse is gay - why is he carrying a pocket book?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #22
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I've read that on one of his trips his aircraft deployed it's anti-missle flares...I don't care who you are, that's being shot at.

-spence
Didn't read or hear that.

As i said pretty sketchy reporting, silence is deafening.
But if that is the case, i agree, that would be being shot at.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Didn't read or hear that.

As i said pretty sketchy reporting, silence is deafening.
But if that is the case, i agree, that would be being shot at.
It's from what I've read, granted I wasn't there...

I'm wondering why nobody isn't accusing that the moderator isn't biased because Palin is a woman?

-spence
Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I am actually embarassed for you guys when it comes to Palin. Seriosuly, what have YOU guys done with your lives? Ever lead anything larger than a cub scout pack? This is a woman that has 5 kids, and had the guts and determination to run for mayor, then governor. That takes huge balls. TO say she is a dimwit is repulsive. WTF did Hillary Clinton do???? NOTHING. No one has questioned her half as hard as Palin was. No one wanted to be bad guy blasting questions at a lady running for state senator who suffered global embarrasment.
Palin has to have something or she wouldnt be the governor WITH THE BEST APPROVAL rating in the country. SHe did horribly on these interviews, SO you guys want a VP that interviews well? Thats what you need?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #25
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Sure there's a bias....
Anybody from PBS is biased to the left. The conservatives eliminated most of the funding for PBS not too many years ago. Its been one long telethon ever since.
Can't blame them either. PBS is all pro-science shows and pro-liberal causes. I think that Teletubbie with the purse is gay - why is he carrying a pocket book?
Or could it just be, that its not the job of the government to pay for television shows? Just a thought.
You want to watch it (and I do!) you pay for it. Dont make the rest of the country foot the bill

Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #26
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

so DF and Nebe, what are your thoughts on this?
Isnt this as bad as Palin? Cant he think on his feet?
Notice he get frustrated with the crowd, just like he is the professor in front of class.

Please watch this a few times and remind me again how GWB is an idiot.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

good answer Barak!!

come on, is Palin really worse than this? He has been doing it for months, her for a few weeks. What an incredibly weak, nonsense response.
No right wing spin, just Obama being Obama.
When Palin prepares to the debate, its a big news story. Tell me Obama dindt have 10 speech coaches prepping him for the debate with McCain.

duh,,,,,what a star! he makes a condescening remark and then responds with nonsense

Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #28
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Palin has to have something or she wouldnt be the governor WITH THE BEST APPROVAL rating in the country.
Its call breasts and talking points.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Its call breasts and talking points.
And Obama is where he is today for only one reason, he is black

Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #30
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
And Obama is where he is today for only one reason, he is black
nope. Its his ears.

Im sorry Jim, I am in a overly sarcastic mood tonight.