Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #31
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post

Can't wait for the speach tonight. My prediction the Dow drops 200 or more tomorrow.
I think the more important speech, for the market, will be how it reacts to Geitner's plan to be released tomorrow.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #32
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
I think the more important speech, for the market, will be how it reacts to Geitner's plan to be released tomorrow.
I think your right. Didn't go over to good last time he spoke.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #33
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Don't think Turbo Tax will be an advertising sponsor for that hour.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #34
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

read the entire thread above and then read today's headline below. I've been telling you markets REACT to news. As Buckman stated, it has consistently reacted negatviely to Obamas stimulus and TARP and you guys give this long blah blah nonsense on why......well read below. You are full of crap. One announcement and the markets up

Stocks jump after Bernanke says recession may end

AP – Federal Reserve Board Chairman Ben Bernanke testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, Feb. 24, … NEW YORK – Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke has given Wall Street a double dose of reassurance. Bernanke has told Congress the recession might end this year, and that regulators aren't planning to nationalize banks. The news alleviated some of investors' worries about the economy and the banking system, and lifted the Dow Jones industrial average and Standard & Poor's 500 index off their lowest levels since 1997.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #35
buckman

I fear the speach tonight will kill any bounce from today. I hope they are rewriting it as we speak.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #36
JohnnyD

Quote:
I fear the speach tonight will kill any bounce from today. I hope they are rewriting it as we speak.
Any bounce? I thought the market was going to tank 200 points today?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #37
striperman36
Old Guy

He speaks and the world markets will take a dive.
Investors are not convinced that anything we do will fix the market.
Lassiez faire won't make it happen. We are going to see nationalization, iMHO.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #38
buckman

Sure has been quite from the left on this site. How much time do we give the boy genius before he completely destroys the economy.

Last Sale 6794.99 Previous Close 7062.93
Change -267.94 Open 7056.48
Change % -3.79% 1-Week Range 7441.02 - 7033.62
Previous Close 7062.93 1-Month Range 8405.87 - 7033.62
Today's Range 6792.29 - 7058.95 52 Week Range 7033.62 - 13136.70
Last Trade Time 3:17 PM EST YTD Change -6469.81

Maybe next time we propose a budget we don't contradict everything we proposed to do in the Stimulas bill.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #39
striperman36
Old Guy

Negative Vibes, gotta stop it with the negative Vibes.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #40
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Negative Vibes, gotta stop it with the negative Vibes.
He can't, it's all he has...

-spence
Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #41
Bronko

Dow 6,763.29 -299.64 -4.24%

Lowest in 12 years.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #42
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Trying to push all his changes into the first 6 weeks of his Presidency has not helped.

"Act in haste, repent at leisure."

" Choose Life "
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #43
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He can't, it's all he has...

-spence
Give me something positive to latch on to. I'm begging ya
Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #44
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
We're waiting for the GOP response of which there has been NONE!!!! NONE!!!

You have to give the floor to Limbaugh!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #45
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Dow 6,763.29 -299.64 -4.24%

Lowest in 12 years.
Yes, and all of it has been directly caused by a man that has been in office for 5 weeks or...

While the Dow has a large effect on people due to their investments, it is too emotionally driven at a time like this and I do not value it as representational of anything except how "people feel the economy is today."

With the use of down-to-the-second trades, the Dow has become more of a vehicle for Corporate Finance companies to create wealth when considering day-to-day changes.

The Fed decides not to cut interest rates, the market drops 200 points. The next day, the market "recovers" 250 points - read: the market is undervalued and people buy.

I sincerely feel bad for those that are close to, or in retirement and have a ton of money in the market. They are the ones most effected by this because they do not have the time to wait for recovery. However, in a merely selfish manner, I hope the market keeps tanking - because I'm young and the market falling does not financially affect me. The more it tanks, the more bang I'll get for the money I've been socking away into CDs for the last two years in anticipation of just this happening. When the Dow was over 11,000, my accountant thought I was crazy for not opening an IRA - I thought she was crazy for even making the suggestion. Everyone involved with the Market has been Livin' La Vida Loca - now people are feeling the "next morning hangover."

I think the market is extremely undervalued right now. Professional investors are bewildered as to what the short-term outlook is for the economy and as such, are Shorting stocks like mad. The average investor doesn't have a clue what's going on aside from what the news tells him/her.

I'm holding on to the lapbar and waiting for the ride to end. When it does, I hope I enter the market at about the point when it reaches bottom.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #46
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Last Sale 7365.67 Previous Close 7465.95
Change -100.28 Open 7461.49
Change % -1.34% 1-Week Range 7850.41 - 7249.47
Previous Close 7465.95 1-Month Range 8405.87 - 7249.47
Today's Range 7249.47 - 7469.29 52 Week Range 7249.47 - 13136.70
Last Trade Time 02.20.09 5:40 PM EST YTD Change -5899.13

I wish it would. Any ideas? Alot of very educated guys on here. Help me out. IMO it's because it's a scam. You?
I don't know, it depends on what you mean by educated.

I have enough common sense I think to take a guess and say that I doubt this stimulus package if it has gotten into gear yet will have done anything immediate to the stock market.
What are you looking for miracles?
Maybe have some patience and give the guy a chance.

I personally don't agree with all this bailout crap, I say let them stand on their own 2 feet like I've had to do all my life, if they need to file for reorganization bankruptcy, then so be it. Putting the country way into further debt seems like a huge mistake to me.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #47
buckman

I believe the policies, stimulas bill, and the proposed budget are the cause for the Dow losing 3000 points, that's right 3000, since he took office. I also believe the actions of the House and Senate have sent a clear message to America. A message of Goverment help or fail. That's not the message Ameican's like.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #48
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I personally don't agree with all this bailout crap, I say let them stand on their own 2 feet like I've had to do all my life, if they need to file for reorganization bankruptcy, then so be it. Putting the country way into further debt seems like a huge mistake to me.
Agreed. Especially since AIG couldn't recover after the first few billion dollars they got and now they're being given more. The government has to pick their battles. Not everyone struggling should get a handout, only those with potential to recover.

My opinion is even more critical for the automotive industry. They are struggling because they have a business plan that has positioned themselves in a way that showed no outlook over the long term. Automotive companies have taken no initiative to create more fuel efficient vehicles and only do just enough to pass government-mandated standards. They have an archaic business plan and as such, positioned themselves for failure. They've also allowed the unions to rake them through the coals. It's no surprise to me that the one automotive manufacturer doing better than the rest has taken into consideration future markets and is also non-union.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #49
striperman36
Old Guy

The autos may have no plan but why can't I buy this 53 mpg Volvo in America? They won't even sell it here, because we don't like diesels? Crazy
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2008/09/1...%99t-have-one/
Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #50
striperman36
Old Guy

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/02/volvos-low-carb.html
  • C30: 60.3 mph and 104 g/km.
  • S40 and V50: 58.8 mpg and 107 g/km.
  • V70 and S80: 48.8 mpg and 129 g/km
  • XC60 and XC70: 39.2 mpg and 159 g/km.
I looked all over for a small diesel, did get a 2.8L Jeep, about .5L more than I really wanted.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #51
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I don't know, it depends on what you mean by educated.

Putting the country way into further debt seems like a huge mistake to me.
It just doesn't make sense. Let's get the economy back on it's feet first before we start passing bills that will put us into further debt and cause inflation down the road.
To follow the same path of spending what we didn't have in the first place, for whatever reasons, got us into this mess, how is it going to get us out?

We need stimulus based on concrete needs that can be started now.
Like infrastucter repair based on what really needs fixing, and there's alot of that.
Mass transit building with high speed mono rails.

People are afraid and we need something people can see to rally around to get back confidence now, not just things that are just ideas and are 10-15 years down the road before they come to fruition.

Ya, Green is good but till we get there we need oil and nuclear. These would create jobs within a few months. We will always need it as you can't run a military or even charge electric cars, all on wind or batteries.

Most of all we need something to rally the whole country around, FDR had WW2, not that that was good, Kennedy had space exploration, Regan brought back a feeling of patriotism.

Not that we shouldn't have different opinions, but "united we stand, divided we fall."

" Choose Life "
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #52
spence

Quote:
I believe the policies, stimulas bill, and the proposed budget are the cause for the Dow losing 3000 points, that's right 3000, since he took office. I also believe the actions of the House and Senate have sent a clear message to America. A message of Goverment help or fail. That's not the message Ameican's like.
Have you been drinking, are you an idiot or do you just not care about the facts?

The Dow has lost 1186 points since Obama took office. All things considered a terrible slide, but not as you would have us regard it.

Additionally, the makings for this slide were put into action years ago, the result of many complicated policies that will take years to sort out.

Wall Street isn't interested in your assumptions of policy interpretation , they're interested in making money, and the fundamentals are still bad. Until the policy, or a recovery independent of government action takes hold, the conditions for a lasting recovery won't be in place.

-spence
Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #53
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=...JX:.DJI&ntsp=0

Just to back you up Spence....
I have a feeling many theses will be written at Bryant, Bentley, Babson, Harvard Business etc.. in coming years on the boom and bust of the last few years...

Interesting read on the rest of the world's opinion of our ability to turn it around...
http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/02/mark...ion=2009030215

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #54
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
The autos may have no plan but why can't I buy this 53 mpg Volvo in America? They won't even sell it here, because we don't like diesels? Crazy
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2008/09/1...%99t-have-one/
It's because of a stigma put in place 20-30 years about about dirty diesel being horribly polluting - remember when the soot exhausted from Mach trucks was a big hot topic? Also, people don't realize even though they pay about 20% more for diesel, they get about that and more in fuel economy when compared to an equivalent unleaded.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #55
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Until the policy, or a recovery independent of government action takes hold, the conditions for a lasting recovery won't be in place.

-spence
Houston, we have a problem.

Spence, you should be in politics, every one of your post is about disagreeing, name calling and taking no position. Why don't you just tell us why you voted for Obama, and what policies he has put in place that you feel will benifit the country. I have been right about nearly every prediction on what would take place if a single party was given full control . You have been wrong on those same points. Want to try a couple more. End of two term limit for the President, Reparations

I care about the facts, I just made a mistake. .Kinda like Pelosi saying we lose 500 million jobs a month. You know, Spence, remember defending that.Your a forgiving guy

Last edited by buckman; 03-03-2009 at 06:28 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #56
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
It's because of a stigma put in place 20-30 years about about dirty diesel being horribly polluting - remember when the soot exhausted from Mach trucks was a big hot topic? Also, people don't realize even though they pay about 20% more for diesel, they get about that and more in fuel economy when compared to an equivalent unleaded.
Not to mention that a diesel can last several hundred thousand miles more. Thus justifing the added initial cost. I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why diesel fuel is more then gas. Prior to 2003 it was cheaper.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #57
PaulS

It hilarious (and somewhat sad) to hear the mindless drones trying to blame a Pres. who has been in office 7 weeks for the collapse of the economy b/c "he's the Pres." while refusing to use the same logic and defending Pres. Bush for 9/11.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #58
Fishpart
Keep The Change

You get more gasoline from a barrel than diesel fuel, hence a lower price. When you include refining capacity for gasoline compared to #2 Fuel in the US it all makes sense. When you are making heating oil it takes away from the diesel capacity.

We will recover when Mainstream Media says we can. Chances are it will be close to midterm elections and it will be marketed as a result of the actions of those currently in office

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #59
Travis

Quote:

I was very excited to see all of the new proposed taxes that are being brought to the table...more more more government...wonder how long before we start hearing revolutionary propaganda.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #60
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
It hilarious (and somewhat sad) to hear the mindless drones trying to blame a Pres. who has been in office 7 weeks for the collapse of the economy b/c "he's the Pres." while refusing to use the same logic and defending Pres. Bush for 9/11.
If you took just a teeny second to bother to read the threads instead of your constant mantra of calling others who disagree with you "drones"you'd see that NO ONE said the collapse of the economy was Obamas fault, the point was that the stock market reacts NEGATIVELY to Obamas announcements of his plans. One could assume that the people whose sole purpose is to benefit from a market rise, would delight in action by the government ot "improve" things, no? I put up proof to counter those that say the market is reacting to the fundamentals. Bernanke made one lame announcement that the recession may be over by year end and the same day the market was up over 200 points as a result. The MArket reacts, so far it reacts negatively to Obama. Not a good sign.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all