Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #31
EarnedStripes44

If it were up to lake ponchartrain, civil engineering not withstanding, vast swaths of New Orleans would be underwater anyway, storm surge or no storm surge. It was a disaster waiting to happen and it could have been even worse. This leaves even greater reason to fault local & federal officials. They just should have known better.

The nature of epic flooding in the Red River of the North is a different situation given its infrequency and geography.

Equivocating the two scenarios is a stretch.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #32
bssb
river rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
So now 9/11 was the result of Republican policies????

I mean we all know the Republicans caused Katrina
Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US was the President's Daily Brief given to U.S. President George W. Bush on August 6, 2001. The President's Daily Brief (PDB) is a brief of important classified information on national security collected by various U.S. intelligence agencies given to the president and a select group of senior officials. The brief warned of terrorism threats from Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda over a month before the September 11, 2001 attacks.[1]

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #33
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssb View Post
Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US was the President's Daily Brief given to U.S. President George W. Bush on August 6, 2001. The President's Daily Brief (PDB) is a brief of important classified information on national security collected by various U.S. intelligence agencies given to the president and a select group of senior officials. The brief warned of terrorism threats from Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda over a month before the September 11, 2001 attacks.[1]
You're kidding right? Do you realize how many credible threats the president hears each day in his "security briefings".

"Good morning Mr. President, today we have a unstable situation in Venezuela, we also have a destabilization problem in Iran, we've got threats from Iran, Russia, Pakistan, and just this morning, Kim Jong Il, said he "wants to make a pudding from the bones of Americans."
Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #34
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Lets mobilize Ray Nagin and his fleet of unmanned buses, I think they are still sitting there. Did anyone check any of the dams, levees and storm drains around Fargo for explosives planted by the Bush Administration? Have we looked into whether the Republicans are actually using snowmakers to increase snowfall and flooding to make Obama's lack of response look worse. Let's go people!
Hey don't laugh, but where do you think all the friekin water is heading anyways. South

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #35
striperman36
Old Guy

Nope, Red River runs North
Old 03-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #36
bssb
river rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
You're kidding right? Do you realize how many credible threats the president hears each day in his "security briefings".

"Good morning Mr. President, today we have a unstable situation in Venezuela, we also have a destabilization problem in Iran, we've got threats from Iran, Russia, Pakistan, and just this morning, Kim Jong Il, said he "wants to make a pudding from the bones of Americans."
wow, didn't realize you were in on the classified daily security briefings.

Last edited by bssb; 03-28-2009 at 10:04 PM..

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #37
bssb
river rat

The declassified intelligence report said the FBI had detected "patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings."

Former counterterrorism aide Richard Clarke had testified before that the White House had ignored warnings about bin Laden's terrorist organization. Clarke said the Bush administration, including Rice, was aware of al Qaeda threats but did not treat them as "urgent."

Last edited by bssb; 03-28-2009 at 10:36 PM..

Jim Garrison
Old 03-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #38
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Bssb - learn how to say what you want the first time without editing and re-editing or we'll lock down editing time so you can't say one thing and then another every few minutes.

Thank you.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #39
spence

Quote:

Yes, and how many of these threats had pretty good intel stating intent to attack within the United States?

Perhaps highlighting how they dropped the ball was Rice's statement that "had we had any idea" when there were memos from months previous. Talk about spin...

Now I believe that Clinton can and should have done more against Bin Laden, but the rate at which Bush simply ignored the issue...and then used 9/11 as an excuse to do a complete 180 has given this Country a terrible case of whiplash we're going to be recovering from for at least another decade if not longer.

-spence
Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #40
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Now I believe that Clinton can and should have done more against Bin Laden, but the rate at which Bush simply ignored the issue...and then used 9/11 as an excuse to do a complete 180 has given this Country a terrible case of whiplash we're going to be recovering from for at least another decade if not longer.
-spence
Both Clinton and Bush, were just following the standard game plan of cat and mouse, that we've been playing with them since Carter. Even with intel that they have a plan and want to initiate it, it is difficult to initiate a preemptive strike against a uninitiated plan. Lots of people have plans, or would like to cause us harm, but most of those never get past the planning stages. If you take action against a foreign country, even with proof of intent, is is virtually impossible to get the support of the rest of the world, and without our allies support, most in congress will not support such action. I'll give Clinton the benefit of dought on this, and say that, I am sure they both wanted to do more than they did, but hit head on with congress and the UN and were unable to do more.

It is a sad fact that, even with the intel, we were unable to properly react to the threat, other than a few warnings to the airlines of increased possible threat. It is a tough balancing act, of trying to protect ourselves and over reacting or under reacting to possible threats.

It's a shame how much polls and popular opinion get in the way of national security, knowing that much of the facts can't be given out to the public without tipping our hand, but without this support many politicians are too afraid to act.

just the opinions of an old retired navy guy.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #41
spence

Quote:
Both Clinton and Bush, were just following the standard game plan of cat and mouse, that we've been playing with them since Carter. Even with intel that they have a plan and want to initiate it, it is difficult to initiate a preemptive strike against a uninitiated plan.
But under Clinton and Bush we weren't playing cat and mouse. After the 1993 WTC bombing there was a series of attacks against US interests that were not motivated by the political militancy we've seen before. These should have been taken more seriously but they weren't. Yes, I have the blessing of hindsight, but that's what I thought the CIA, NSA and State Department were there for!

I doubt 9/11 could have necessarily been averted so late in the planning, but it seems like our Government wasn't even watching the game.

-spence
Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #42
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Fargo is all set Spence, because all the FEMA trailers are stored in Fargo for use everywhere else in the country. Fargo is where the formaldahyde factory is also. Plus all the those trailers that have all the ice stored in them for use everywhere are hidden in the woods there, because its so out of the way.

Just having fun Spence. Thank you for pointing out my sentence structure shortcomings. I did a rather poor job at it.

Last edited by Swimmer; 03-30-2009 at 11:18 AM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 03-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #43
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Fargo is all set Spence, because all the FEMA trailers are stored in Fargo for use everywhere else in the country Spence. Fargo is where the formaldahyde factory is. Plus all the those trailers that have all the ice stored in them for use elsewhere are hidden in the woods there, because its so out of the way.
Perhaps you want to think this one through and try posting again?

-spence
Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #44
bssb
river rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Bssb - learn how to say what you want the first time without editing and re-editing or we'll lock down editing time so you can't say one thing and then another every few minutes.

Thank you.
Are there rules about adding to a post after I posted it? I didn't realize there were rules on what you can do with your own post. Seems like someone is trying to silence my opinion. Is this web site based in China or do we still have free speech?

Last edited by bssb; 03-29-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Jim Garrison
Old 03-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #45
bssb
river rat

Quote:
Perhaps you want to think this one through and try posting again?

-spence

just don't edit your post. that's against the law. John will get you.

Jim Garrison
Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #46
JohnR

Quote:
Are there rules about adding to a post after I posted it? I didn't realize there were rules on what you can do with your own post. Seems like someone is trying to silence my opinion. Is this web site based in China or do we still have free speech?
Quote:
just don't edit your post. that's against the law. John will get you.
Actually, a couple things maybe you need to understand.

First, Free Speech is a constitutional right, not yelling "Fire in a Theater" or I'm a Conspiratorial Nitwit in an Internet Forum. Though on this Internet forum (especially the Political Talk) it is pretty rare for me or someone to edit someone's post.

As for your warning to Spence, as one of the more active soapboxers in these forums he knows that his opinion has rarely been silenced, maybe a whole two or three times in many many years. That applies to him, the Moonbats, the Freepers, and all.

Now the reason I am asking you to get it right the first time (at least most of the time) is because I'm seeing a trend here where you post a lot of crap in rapid fire and change it or clean it up a little afterward with multiple edits. Why don't you think first, figure out what you want to say next, and then post it in a manner that doesn't require you to edit a bunch of times. Couple things might happen but for one, people might take you more seriously.

As for the "rules", we periodically put a time limit on how long you can edit when someone uses "editing" frequently to take shots or post drivel. Thankfully it doesn't happen all too often by us uber right wing, great firewall of China censormeisters.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #47
bssb
river rat

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it

Jim Garrison
Old 03-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #48
JohnR

Quote:
Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it

Aww shucks, timeout.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #49
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
As for your warning to Spence, as one of the more active soapboxers in these forums he knows that his opinion has rarely been silenced, maybe a whole two or three times in many many years. That applies to him, the Moonbats, the Freepers, and all.
I need to work harder then

Aside from the WeeWee battle many, many moons ago I can't think of any real censorship, and that was at my request!

-spence
Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #50
striperman36
Old Guy

Doesn't anyone on this thread care about Fargo anymore?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #51
JohnR

Quote:

Aside from the WeeWee battle many, many moons ago I can't think of any real censorship, and that was at my request!

-spence
Yeh, we censor real hard here.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #52
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Doesn't anyone on this thread care about Fargo anymore?
Things look pretty good right now all things considered. Assuming they don't have a major levy failure (and yes I'm knocking on wood).

Going to take the city a long time to recover. I know Cedar Rapids has only just begun.

-spence
Old 03-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #53
Cool Beans

Strange, I havent heard a single peep from the whitehouse about Fargo.
No declaration of a state of emergency or anything. Other than the national guard being there, I haven't seen much as far as national interest. Same thing goes for the volcano in Alaska. I mentioned it to a friend here and he was surprised as he hadnt heard about it. I told him the flood and volcano have been going on for almost a week now.. National news seems to ignore those places that they can't get video of poor downtrodden people, begging for assistance. These same people that have become slaves to the government programs, that give them just enough welfare to not have to work, but never actually succeed (also keeping them in the Democrat pocket). If someone bussed in 100 people (mostly minorities) to Fargo pretending it was their homes in danger, it would be front page news.

my humble opinion
Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #54
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:

-spence

You buried weewee under the Newport Bridge
Old 03-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #55
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
No declaration of a state of emergency or anything. Other than the national guard being there, I haven't seen much as far as national interest. Same thing goes for the volcano in Alaska. I mentioned it to a friend here and he was surprised as he hadnt heard about it. I told him the flood and volcano have been going on for almost a week now.. National news seems to ignore those places that they can't get video of poor downtrodden people, begging for assistance. These same people that have become slaves to the government programs, that give them just enough welfare to not have to work, but never actually succeed (also keeping them in the Democrat pocket). If someone bussed in 100 people (mostly minorities) to Fargo pretending it was their homes in danger, it would be front page news.

my humble opinion

Yup they're not democratic enough up there to get coverage
Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #56
spence

Quote:
No declaration of a state of emergency or anything.
It (the entire State of ND) was declared a Federal Disaster Area on Tuesday of last week.

Yesterday the President had this to say...

Quote:
Remarks of President Barack Obama
Weekly Address
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Washington, DC

Even as we face an economic crisis which demands our constant focus, forces of nature can also intervene in ways that create other crises to which we must respond – and respond urgently. For the people of North and South Dakota and Minnesota who live along rivers spilling over their banks, this is one such moment.

Rivers and streams throughout the region have flooded or are at risk of flooding. The cities of Fargo and neighboring Moorhead are vulnerable as the waters of the Red River have risen. Thousands of homes and businesses are threatened.

That is why, on Tuesday, I granted a major disaster declaration request for the State of North Dakota and ordered federal support into the region to help state and local officials respond to the flooding. This was followed by an emergency declaration for the State of Minnesota. And we are also keeping close watch on the situation in South Dakota as it develops.

The Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency continue to coordinate the federal response. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is helping to oversee federal efforts and she remains in close contact with state officials. Acting FEMA administrator Nancy Ward has been in the region since yesterday to meet with folks on the ground and survey the area herself.

In addition, The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is assisting in the emergency construction of levees. The Coast Guard is aiding in search and rescue efforts while the Department of Defense is helping to move people and supplies. Members of the National Guard have been activated and are on the scene as well.

Hospitals and nursing homes in the area are being evacuated and residents in poor health or with special needs are being transported to higher ground. Teams from the Department of Health and Human Services are aiding in this work. And the Red Cross is in place to provide shelter and supplies for folks in need.

It is also important for residents in these states to remain vigilant in monitoring reports on flood crests and to follow instructions from their state and local leaders in the event that evacuations become necessary.

My administration is working closely with Governors John Hoeven, Mike Rounds and Tim Pawlenty. And I’ve been meeting with Senators Byron Dorgan, Kent Conrad, and Amy Klobuchar, as well as Congressmen Earl Pomeroy and Collin Peterson, to pledge my support. I will continue to monitor the situation carefully. We will do what must be done to help in concert with state and local agencies and non-profit organizations – and volunteers who are doing so much to aid the response effort.

For at moments like these, we are reminded of the power of nature to disrupt lives and endanger communities. But we are also reminded of the power of individuals to make a difference.

In the Fargodome, thousands of people gathered not to watch a football game or a rodeo, but to fill sandbags. Volunteers filled 2.5 million of them in just five days, working against the clock, day and night, with tired arms and aching backs. Others braved freezing temperatures, gusting winds, and falling snow to build levees along the river’s banks to help protect against waters that have exceeded record levels.

College students have traveled by the busload from nearby campuses to lend a hand during their spring breaks. Students from local high schools asked if they could take time to participate. Young people have turned social networks into community networks, coordinating with one another online to figure out how best to help.

In the face of an incredible challenge, the people of these communities have rallied in support of one another. And their service isn’t just inspirational – it’s integral to our response.

It’s also a reminder of what we can achieve when Americans come together to serve their communities. All across the nation, there are men, women and young people who have answered that call, and millions of other who would like to. Whether it’s helping to reduce the energy we use, cleaning up a neighborhood park, tutoring in a local school, or volunteering in countless other ways, individual citizens can make a big difference.

That is why I’m so happy that legislation passed the Senate this week and the House last week to provide more opportunities for Americans to serve their communities and the country.

The bipartisan Senate bill was sponsored by Senator Orrin Hatch and Senator Ted Kennedy, a leader who embodies the spirit of public service, and I am looking forward to signing this important measure into law.

In facing sudden crises or more stubborn challenges, the truth is we are all in this together – as neighbors and fellow citizens. That is what brought so many to help in North Dakota and Minnesota and other areas affected by this flooding. That is what draws people to volunteer in so many ways, serving our country here and on distant shores.

Our thanks go to them today, and to all who are working day and night to deal with the disaster. We send them our thoughts, our prayers, and our continued assistance in this difficult time.

Thank you.
Perhaps you're just not watching the right news?

-spence
Old 03-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #57
striperman36
Old Guy

That's great new, no FEMA.

And they're busing in STUDENTS to help. Now that is government in action.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #58
Cool Beans

I guess I missed that on the news yesterday. Thanks for posting that. Point goes to Spence. One thing concerns me though from his speech,

"That is why I’m so happy that legislation passed the Senate this week and the House last week to provide more opportunities for Americans to serve their communities and the country.

The bipartisan Senate bill was sponsored by Senator Orrin Hatch and Senator Ted Kennedy, a leader who embodies the spirit of public service, and I am looking forward to signing this important measure into law."

What legislation was that? Hopefully not the precursor to the one I've heard about that will eventually require youth to serve in some role of community or military service. Kinda makes my "spidey senses" tingle. People already have all the opportunities in the world to help, something like this is more than likely going to require it in some way.

Last edited by Cool Beans; 03-29-2009 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: spell check
Old 03-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #59
spence

Quote:
What legislation was that? Hopefully not the precursor to the one I've heard about that will eventually require youth to serve in some role of community or military service. Kinda makes my "spidey senses" tingle. People already have all the opportunities in the world to help, something like this is more than likely going to require it in some way.
Doesn't appear so from the description on Hatch's site...

Quote:
HATCH, KENNEDY BILL RENEWS CALL FOR NATIONAL SERVICE
Serve America Act To Increase Service Opportunities for All Americans

WASHINGTON – In coming days, Senators Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) and Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) will introduce new legislation, the “Serve America Act,” to expand opportunities for service for all Americans. The legislation will ask 175,000 more Americans to give a year of service to address specific national challenges, thereby expanding the number of national service participants to 250,000. The legislation will also increase opportunities for individuals to serve at every stage of their life and will support nonprofit organizations and social entrepreneurs with innovative solutions to our most pressing problems.

“Time and again we’ve learned that large numbers of Americans are ready, willing, able, and even eager to be involved in service, and that all we have to do is ask them to do so. The Serve America Act will ask. It will connect every generation through service, and enable them to help tackle a wide range of national challenges, from the dropout crisis that plagues our schools to the lack of health care in our neediest communities to the energy and environmental crisis that threatens our planet,” said Senator Kennedy, Chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, which oversees existing national and community service programs. “Many Americans are already answering the call to such service, by weatherizing homes, mentoring students, or working to bring clean water and life-saving vaccines to peoples in many lands. This legislation will dramatically expand opportunities for Americans willing to devote a year or more to address such challenges. It will draw on the talents and skills of every age group, such as by expanding opportunities for young people to improve their communities, and enabling retiring ’baby boomers‘ to transition to second careers in public service.”

Senator Hatch said, "Volunteer service is the lifeblood of our republic. It brings out the best in people and strengthens our communities. Throughout history, Americans have stepped forward and volunteered to meet every challenge. Within each of us is a desire to help and serve our neighbors the world over; and yet, the hectic lifestyle we all live often crowds out our natural ability to give service. That is why my longtime friend, Senator Kennedy, and I are introducing The Serve America Act. This historic legislation will inspire and provide opportunities for civic-minded Americans to raise the bar of service and fulfill the destiny of the immortal words of ‘America the Beautiful,’ to ‘more than self their country love. And mercy more than life!'

"America faces more challenges today than ever before. And new challenges require a new level of commitment. By harnessing the talents and efforts of the American people, faith-based groups and nonprofit organizations, we can empower more people, improve more communities and tackle more of our nation’s greatest challenges. That is precisely the intent of this bill, and I’m pleased to be working alongside Senator Kennedy to champion this important legislation."
Considering your posts the last few weeks, I'd have to ask the last time your "spidey sense" was serviced? Perhaps it's time for a tune-up

-spence
Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #60
Cool Beans

Quote:
Doesn't appear so from the description on Hatch's site...

Considering your posts the last few weeks, I'd have to ask the last time your "spidey sense" was serviced? Perhaps it's time for a tune-up

-spence
Nope, thats the legislation I was thinking about, I guess it all depends on how hard they "ask" people to volunteer and exactly what he uses his new army of "volunteers" for.