Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
buckman

Another Federal screwing

washingtonpost.com

buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
JohnnyD

Yup.

One very interesting except of that article:
Quote:
Among the sharks being considered for trade restrictions -- three hammerhead species, oceanic whitetip, spiny dogfish, porbeagle, sandbar and dusky sharks -- the United States has announced it backs curbing the trade of all species except spiny dogfish and porbeagle. Both spiny dogfish and porbeagle are caught by American fishing vessels.
Finally, some notice that the dogfish are not at risk.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

This is not good news for sure.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong; however, a CITES 1 listing would not impact the rights of commercial or recreational fisherman to catch and retain ABFT, nor would it impact quotas. CITES would only restrict the export of ABFT from US EEZ waters to other countries.

My understanding is that the US is a net importer of ABFT, so there is a theoretical market in the US for every pound of ABFT taken. However, (and I'm only guessing) I think the dock price for tuna would go down without the Japanese market available to US fishermen.

Of course, CITES alone has zero impact on recreational anglers.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Yup.

One very interesting except of that article:

Finally, some notice that the dogfish are not at risk.
The only thing that spiny dogfish are at risk of is a pair of hedge clippers.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Raven

they'll be eating tuna sushi at the meeting
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong; however, a CITES 1 listing would not impact the rights of commercial or recreational fisherman to catch and retain ABFT, nor would it impact quotas. CITES would only restrict the export of ABFT from US EEZ waters to other countries.
I was thinking the same thing.

Buck, how much BFT have you exported recently? Anything you'd like to confess?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Buck, how much BFT have you exported recently? Anything you'd like to confess?

-spence
None!!! A smart guy like you Spence should understand the the "what ifs" in this listing.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
buckman

Press Release- Sen. Olympia snowe (Maine)

Weds. March 3rd, 2010
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, during a Senate Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard hearing on the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s FY 2011 Budget and Fisheries Enforcement Programs and Operations, Ranking Member Senator Olympia J. Snowe (R-Maine) urged Dr. Jane Lubchenco, Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to fully examine the economic impact the agency’s fishery management and law enforcement policies have on the American fishing industry and take action to rectify the adverse affects of onerous regulations.

“I am deeply troubled that this budget for 2011 does not put nearly enough emphasis on providing an investment in sound fisheries science so our regulators are not force to use insufficient data to make decisions that affect lives, jobs, and entire coastal communities. This is precisely the situation that we have seen play out in Prospect Harbor with the closing of the Bumble Bee sardine cannery. Better science would have save those jobs,” said Senator Snowe. “Clearly, what is called for here is a dose of reality in Washington and some attention to the implications on the ground of these decisions.”

Snowe went on to blast today’s announcement by the Interior for Fish and Wildlife and Parks, that it would support a petition by Monaco to list bluefin tuna as an endangered species under Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wildlife Flora and Fauna (CITES). Senator Snowe said the reckless decision will ultimately prove ineffectual and cause disproportionate harm to the U.S. bluefin tuna fishery.

“Even though our fishermen have operated under the strongest conservation measures in the world, if this CITES listing is approved they will have to pay the price for all the other bad actors’ failure to control harvest levels,” said Senator Snowe. “This egregious decision creates a perverse incentive for our domestic bluefin tuna fishery and other Nations. I fail to see the logic in supporting a policy that will penalize our fishermen for their contributions to the long-term sustainability of this critical species.”

Last month, Senator Snowe spearheaded a letter with 14 of her House and Senate colleagues to Dr. Jane Lubchenco, Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Thomas Strickland, Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Fish, Wildlife, and Parks, asking them not to support a proposal by the principality of Monaco to list bluefin tuna under Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wildlife Flora and Fauna (CITES). During today’s hearing, Senator Snowe called on NOAA to implement policies that will mitigate the adverse impact of onerous regulations on the American fishing industry.

“At a time when fishermen and women are trying to eke out a living in this industry, this ruling ought to be a big reality check for everyone,” continued Senator Snowe. “The Fish and Wildlife Service’s press release says ‘we understand fishermen’s frustration’ but they really don’t. It is imperative NOAA and the Fish and Wildlife Service take swift action to develop and implement a mitigation effort that will ease the financial burden this ruling will impose.”

Senator Snowe went on to further criticize NOAA for the egregious mismanagement by the Office of Law Enforcement for the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) and highlighted a recent report by the U.S. Department of Commerce Inspector General, which demonstrated systemic nationwide issues adversely affecting NOAA’s ability to regulate the fishing industry. In addition, the report found that these same issues have “contributed significantly to a…dysfunctional relationship between NOAA and the fishing industry – particularly in the northeast.”

“I was stunned by the IG’s report revealing the magnitude of the management problem regarding law enforcement on the fishing community – in particular in the Northeast region,” said Senator Snowe. “It was horrifying, frankly, to learn of the disproportionate treatments within the industry, which have resulted in devastating consequences for fishermen and it is vital for NOAA to take immediate action to change these policies.”

Dr. Lubchenco pledged to continue to work with Senator Snowe and resolve the issues facing the fishing industry and agrees to implement new policies that will better take into consideration the economic impact of regulations and rulings.

###
Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

We all know that selling shorts is ILLEGAL.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

Sell them seals and cormorants
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
sokinwet

There are others much more involved and informed about this than me but this appears to be just another case of the government stepping on fishermen to appease faux environmentalists or even worse... NGO's and their stooges becoming the government & controlling fisheries agencies. Let's see...we've got this travesty, PEW running NOAA, sector catch shares, MLPA's, Mag. Stevenson shutdowns, out of control NOAA enforcement, fisheries officials talking about 1000% "middle man" investment returns. Blood on the water is not far off.
sokinwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
MakoMike

Do you really expect NOAA/NMFS to let us keep fishing for the little members of an "endangered Species"?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #14
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Where is the problem? Are fish endangered or not? Are they overfished or not? If they are endangered or overfished, put some limits on it. How many times are we going to rearrange the deck chairs?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Where is the problem? Are fish endangered or not? Are they overfished or not? If they are endangered or overfished, put some limits on it. How many times are we going to rearrange the deck chairs?

Are they overfished or not?

Not in this country, some other countries, yes !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Are they overfished or not?

Not in this country, some other countries, yes !
Research is starting to show an overlap between the Western Atlantic stock and the Mediterranean stock. Unfortunately, the overfishing over in Europe has an effect on us, so we all lose.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
maddmatt

we conserve so other countries can rape and pillage. our gov kicks our fisherman in the crotch so other countries can catch and sell the fish back to us. is it me or is this dumb??

"never met a bluefish i wouldn't sell"
maddmatt is offline   Reply With Quote