Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Propane

Anyone here use it for heat ?
If so, would care to tell me how much a gal you are paying.
Thanks

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
stripersnipr

I know of people paying as high as 2.80 per gallon and as low as 1.80 a gallon. Propane companies are very hungry right now and you can push them down fairly easily.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
pops02

$ 2.24/ gallon, on 12/29....id be interested to know what others pay, as well. Thanks
pops02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

I haven't taken a delivery since last winter when my company was screwing me for close to $4.00 a gal.
I still have just below 1/2 a tank because of the mild winter.
Now they have sent me a few "minumum use" bill (started at $75 and now up to $125) that I refuse to pay!
I have nothing in a contract that says they can charge me a minimun use charge because I haven't needed a delivery !

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 01-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Guy next door last year was paying like $3.50 a gallon from the company that owned the tank and did the install on his heater. He had no contract so he bought his own tank and now has it delivered by the lowest price, whcih I'll ask what that is in the a.m. when I see him. I know the price dropped a dollar a gallon last year when he jettisoned the first company.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Guy next door last year was paying like $3.50 a gallon from the company that owned the tank and did the install on his heater. He had no contract so he bought his own tank and now has it delivered by the lowest price, whcih I'll ask what that is in the a.m. when I see him. I know the price dropped a dollar a gallon last year when he jettisoned the first company.

Thanks Frank.
I didn't know you could own your own tank!
I would think it's a liability issue because tanks need to be inspected over time !

My company owns the tank, but my plumber did the install, other than hooking to the tank.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
2na

Raider - they whack you for an additional .50/gal on Cape if you don't own the tank. Ask your company what the price difference is and crunch the #'s - see if it worth your while.
Last time I checked the price was $1.99/gal (Truro), but I haven't needed to fill this winter because of the mild weather too.
2na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
Nebe

Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
fishsmith
DDG-51

Wholesale prices are around a $1 now, these gas companies are raking customers over the coals.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...df/tablec4.pdf
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
Mr. Sandman

A lot of people heat with propane here....$2.67/gal as of 1/3
I think they own the tank. I recall looking into the tank think and it is not cheap to buy the tank...I will check again.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:49 PM   #11
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Would you care to share some info who you buy from, you own the tank, ect....
I know you use a very high volume, so naturaly you will get a low price per gal.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 AM   #12
babanch

2.20 both times they came to fill it this winter and they own the tank. I ran into problems getting house insurance because my tank is in the ground.
babanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #13
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Would you care to share some info who you buy from, you own the tank, ect....
I know you use a very high volume, so naturally you will get a low price per gal.
i go through amerigas. the key to getting a good price is no to discuss your retail rate through them, but to ask what price you are going to pay above wholesale. When you call around, ask them what rate they can give you above wholesale and ask them what their wholesale rate is. Now i dont know if a propane company will play this game with a residential customer, but when i tell them how much i use they are drooling for my business. I dont own the tank, but i also refused to sign a contract to lock myself into their business. If i find a lower rate, i call them and if they dont match the rate, they're gone... adios, pick up your tanks.. see ya and they know it so they always match the competitions price.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

The KEY is going to this guy for propane and propane accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HankHill.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	19085  

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
pops02

Quote:
Originally Posted by babanch View Post
2.20 both times they came to fill it this winter and they own the tank. I ran into problems getting house insurance because my tank is in the ground.
Why did you have trouble getting house insurance, with the tank underground ? I know my provider was talking a year ago, or so, about putting my tank underground. I dont want that to happen, if im going to get dropped by my insurance company, its hard enough to find a home owners insurance company on the cape, as it is.
pops02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I am pretty sure they are not allowed to bury propane tanks! Oil tanks years ago yes....but not anymore! Never heard of propane tanks underground....thats why you always see them fenced in and visible.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #17
Mr. Sandman

My propane tank is underground. If propane leaks out it does not go into the ground like oil would...evaporates off. There are some rules about how close it is to the house I think though.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #18
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I am pretty sure they are not allowed to bury propane tanks! Oil tanks years ago yes....but not anymore! Never heard of propane tanks underground....thats why you always see them fenced in and visible.
nope- if i wanted i could bury a 1000 gallon tank behind my studio. Its actually safer because a truck cant slam into it.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #19
stripersnipr

Burying 250's and up is common and actually required in some applications and jurisdictions.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #20
2na

I put a 500 underground in 2005. New construction, no problem with the insurance besides the $. They whack you on the cape because of the wind/water potential, and like pops02 points out there are only a few insurers willing to write up houses on the cape. Got you by the short ones. I digress - they didn't have any problem with an underground gas tank. If it was oil you have a problem like Sandman says.

Last edited by 2na; 01-25-2007 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: add
2na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #21
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Man I never heard of that! I figured where the tanks were under pressure that it would be a problem being buried and especially when the tank begins to rust through?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:51 AM   #22
babanch

I live in Plymouth in a neighborhood that was built 5 years ago. When the builder went to have the tanks installed he went to the fire chief and he was told the safest way to store propane was a tank in the ground. I set up homeowners through an agent on the cape and the company sent a guy out to take pictures of the property and basically check things out. Two weeks later I got a note from the insurance company stating they were cancelling my insurance because of the tank being buried. The agent then set me up with the fair plan through the state which im sure the cape guys on here know all about. The premium through the state almost doubled. So i called another agent who used other insurance companys and got insurance through them at the original rate. They basically told me that it depends on what insurance company you use and that if one company decides they dont like the color of your house they can just drop you.
babanch is offline   Reply With Quote