Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-27-2022, 05:07 PM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Well, they already can, so there’s that…

https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/..._guidance.html

A. Prayer During Non-instructional Time

Students may pray when not engaged in school activities or instruction, subject to the same rules designed to prevent material disruption of the educational program that are applied to other privately initiated expressive activities. Among other things, students may read their Bibles, Torahs, Korans, or other scriptures; say grace before meals; and pray or study religious materials with fellow students during recess, the lunch hour, or other non-instructional time to the same extent that they may engage in nonreligious activities. While school authorities may impose rules of order and pedagogical restrictions on student activities, they may not discriminate against student prayer or religious perspectives in applying such rules and restrictions.

C. Teachers, Administrators, and Other School Employees

When acting in their official capacities as representatives of the State, teachers, school administrators, and other school employees are prohibited by the First Amendment from encouraging or discouraging prayer, and from actively participating in such activity with students. Teachers, however, may take part in religious activities where the overall context makes clear that they are not participating in their official capacities. Teachers also may take part in religious activities such as prayer even during their workday at a time when it is permissible to engage in other private conduct such as making a personal telephone call. Before school or during lunch, for example, teachers may meet with other teachers for prayer or Bible study to the same extent that they may engage in other conversation or nonreligious activities. Similarly, teachers may participate in their personal capacities in privately sponsored baccalaureate ceremonies or similar events.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-27-2022, 05:24 PM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Well, they already can, so there’s that…

https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/..._guidance.html

A. Prayer During Non-instructional Time

Students may pray when not engaged in school activities or instruction, subject to the same rules designed to prevent material disruption of the educational program that are applied to other privately initiated expressive activities. Among other things, students may read their Bibles, Torahs, Korans, or other scriptures; say grace before meals; and pray or study religious materials with fellow students during recess, the lunch hour, or other non-instructional time to the same extent that they may engage in nonreligious activities. While school authorities may impose rules of order and pedagogical restrictions on student activities, they may not discriminate against student prayer or religious perspectives in applying such rules and restrictions.

C. Teachers, Administrators, and Other School Employees

When acting in their official capacities as representatives of the State, teachers, school administrators, and other school employees are prohibited by the First Amendment from encouraging or discouraging prayer, and from actively participating in such activity with students. Teachers, however, may take part in religious activities where the overall context makes clear that they are not participating in their official capacities. Teachers also may take part in religious activities such as prayer even during their workday at a time when it is permissible to engage in other private conduct such as making a personal telephone call. Before school or during lunch, for example, teachers may meet with other teachers for prayer or Bible study to the same extent that they may engage in other conversation or nonreligious activities. Similarly, teachers may participate in their personal capacities in privately sponsored baccalaureate ceremonies or similar events.

Thanks Kevin.

For what it’s worth, my read of: “ may take part in religious activities where the overall context makes clear that they are not participating in their official capacities”

Would not include a coach of a football team on the field. That is a pretty clear context they are in their official capacities….

I have zero issue if this guy sat quietly on the bench for a second or said a prayer in his office or his car, but at a public school this doesn’t feel right to me.

This wasn’t the equivalent of a ‘personal phone call’

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-27-2022, 06:34 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Thanks Kevin.

For what it’s worth, my read of: “ may take part in religious activities where the overall context makes clear that they are not participating in their official capacities”

Would not include a coach of a football team on the field. That is a pretty clear context they are in their official capacities….

I have zero issue if this guy sat quietly on the bench for a second or said a prayer in his office or his car, but at a public school this doesn’t feel right to me.

This wasn’t the equivalent of a ‘personal phone call’
He was doing it when the game was over, is he still coaching? Could be gray area, don't see firing him over it, didn’t see anything about him using the loud speaker, though.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-27-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
He was doing it when the game was over, is he still coaching? Could be gray area, don't see firing him over it, didn’t see anything about him using the loud speaker, though.
shouldnt be using a PA system…
Old 06-27-2022, 06:58 PM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
shouldnt be using a PA system…
It was a metaphor….

The manual/handbook Kevin posted had an example of two teachers privately discussing the Bible. I made a comparison…

Maybe it’s a gray area, but when I played sports the coaches were coaches till the kids left the field/locker room and went home.

I have a feeling he was asked a number of times not to do this and warned, and then his contract was not renewed. He can coach at a parochial school and have all the prayer he wants…

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-27-2022, 08:05 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
It was a metaphor….

The manual/handbook Kevin posted had an example of two teachers privately discussing the Bible. I made a comparison…

Maybe it’s a gray area, but when I played sports the coaches were coaches till the kids left the field/locker room and went home.

I have a feeling he was asked a number of times not to do this and warned, and then his contract was not renewed. He can coach at a parochial school and have all the prayer he wants…
it started with him going off totally by himself. then some students asked if they could join. is he supposed to say no?

what’s the problem, exactly?