Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #31
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I love the outrage. I was taught to stand, hand over heart, hat off. I look around at events and half the crowd is holding a beer, hat on, scratching their balls, talking etc.. o bet half of that crowd is now outraged... I agree this was a minor issue Trump stirred up into a major fu by the players..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I actually was a fb game yesterday and I noticed more people were being quiet, hand over heart than other games. Prob. bc they were conscious of the controversy.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Yup, the Dems keep blacks down by using welfare. Too bad they aren't smart enough to realize that - only Jim is. You should try telling them that someday.
"Are you denying that his campaign had no undercurrents dealing w/race? "

No, I cannot deny that, because anytime a prominent liberal gets involved with a political issue (or an election), you can be assured that race will be a major topic for them. You couldn't get more than a couple of comments about this NFL issue without bringing charges of racism, so thanks for proving my point.

"Maybe you can post something up about Berkley - you haven't done that it what 2 weeks?"

Oh I'm obsessed with Berkley. I've made, what, 2 or 3 posts in the past year about the riots and damage done there? Yeah that's me, always getting worked up about silly little things like violent mobs who destroy neighborhoods to keep people from speaking. All in the name of anti-fascism. You can't make that up.

"the Dems keep blacks down by using welfare. "

You pay people to have kids out of wedlock, guess what happens?

"Too bad they aren't smart enough to realize that "

Paul, I often wonder, are liberals too blind to see the damage they are doing to the cities, or is that their intended plan? I don't know the answer, I can't see in people's hearts. All I know, is that urban liberalism has been a disaster for blacks. Do you disagree? Can you answer that question, Paul? Has liberalism worked in our urban cities for the last generation, yes or no?

"only Jim is"

Not remotely true. Tens of millions of people see it. We call them "conservatives". And at least one truly great, brave liberal, the late great Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan of the state of NY, who warned 40 years ago that liberal welfare was going to destroy the black nuclear family, therefore destroy the entire black culture. He was crucified for what he said. And he was 100% correct.

We got off topic. Which is the intent of lobbing nonsensical charges of racism...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #33
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Are you denying that his campaign had no undercurrents dealing w/race? "

No, I cannot deny that, because anytime a prominent liberal gets involved with a political issue (or an election), you can be assured that race will be a major topic for them. So it is the liberals who made Trump blow the racist whistleYou couldn't get more than a couple of comments about this NFL issue without bringing charges of racism, so thanks for proving my point. If you don't think Trump did this bc it was primarily black players you are stupid (and I don't think you are).

"Maybe you can post something up about Berkley - you haven't done that it what 2 weeks?"

Oh I'm obsessed with BerkleyAnd whiney college students that you think are liberal. how many times have you brought that up (and in posts that had nothing to do w/that). Why bring up Ben Shapiro in a thread about Trump working w/the Dems. on a spending cap? So it is not ok when you think someone does something, yet it is ok when you just did the exact same thing you are complaining you think the other person did? What is that word I am thinking of to descrbe that? Hmm. . I've made, what, 2 or 3 posts in the past year about the riots and damage done there? Yeah that's me, always getting worked up about silly little things like violent mobs who destroy neighborhoods to keep people from speaking. All in the name of anti-fascism. You can't make that up.

"the Dems keep blacks down by using welfare. "

You pay people to have kids out of wedlock, guess what happens?

"Too bad they aren't smart enough to realize that "

Paul, I often wonder, are liberals too blind to see the damage they are doing to the cities, or is that their intended plan? I don't know the answer, I can't see in people's hearts. All I know, is that urban liberalism has been a disaster for blacks. Do you disagree? Can you answer that question, Paul? Has liberalism worked in our urban cities for the last generation, yes or no?
And conservatism has been a great thing for the poor (of which blacks have a lower # but a higher %. Look at the repeal of Obamacare and the Trump budget - hurts poor while giving a tax break to the rich.
"only Jim is"

Not remotely true. Tens of millions of people see it. We call them "conservatives". And at least one truly great, brave liberal, the late great Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan of the state of NY, who warned 40 years ago that liberal welfare was going to destroy the black nuclear family, therefore destroy the entire black culture. He was crucified for what he said. And he was 100% correct.

We got off topic. Which is the intent of lobbing nonsensical charges of racism...
Not off topic bc to many players it was an issue of race - (unless you're blind to it).

Last edited by PaulS; 09-25-2017 at 08:32 AM..
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #34
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
N F L
No Fans Left

League is digging their own grave.
F*** them.
Watch as the ratings continue to drop and eventually sponsors pull out.
I know I'm done watching !
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
Not off topic bc to many players it was an issue of race - (unless you're blind to it).
"And conservatism has been a great thing for the poor '

So you couldn't bring yourself to answer one, simple, direct yes/no question. What does it say about your agenda, that I can render you unable to defend it, with an obvious yes/no question?

"whiney college students that you think are liberal" Oh so the rioters at Berkley aren't really liberal, I am just painting them with that brush? I am literally wiping tears away from my eyes, from laughter...
Old 09-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #36
PaulS

Liberalism has taken many people out of poverty. There I answered it. You should move to one of the big cities you hate and run for Mayor on your position that blacks are too stupid to understand that liberals keep them under their thump and that you are smart enough to know that.

Did you figure out the word meant by your bringing up Ben Shapiro? I'm wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes bc as I've said to you repeatedly - you are what you hate.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Liberalism has taken many people out of poverty. There I answered it. You should move to one of the big cities you hate and run for Mayor on your position that blacks are too stupid to understand that liberals keep them under their thump and that you are smart enough to know that.

Did you figure out the word meant by your bringing up Ben Shapiro? I'm wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes bc as I've said to you repeatedly - you are what you hate.
"Liberalism has taken many people out of poverty. There I answered it"

Not even close to answering the question I asked. You had two tries, you aren't going to do it, let's drop it, I will let you off the hook.

"You should move to one of the big cities you hate"
Yes, I will run out and move my young boys from the suburbs to Hartford.

"run for Mayor on your position that blacks are too stupid to understand that liberals keep them under their thump and that you are smart enough to know that. "

No, no, I aid liberals are too stupid to see when their policies don't work. You live in CT, right? Well our state government, every 2 years, thinks that the way to prosperity is to borrow more, tax more, and spend more. It never, ever works. Yet two years later, all the liberals say that THIS time, by golly, tax hikes are sure to work.

If that's not stupidity, I don't know what is. Kind of like protesting police brutality (which doesn't exist in any institutional level to begin with) by kneeling during our national anthem, in a time of war.

Common sense problem solving, Paul. You solve a problem by addressing the cause of the problem. The cause of most black murders, the huge majority of them, is violence at the hands of other blacks. Liberals can't say that out loud God knows, so they focus on white cops, which as a group, obviously save more lives than they take (though, of course, 1 murderous cop is too many). The cause of black poverty isn't a lack of money (that's a symptom, not a cause), the cause is poor life choices made by blacks, often life choices that blacks are incentivized to make, thanks to liberalism (more babies = more welfare, no father around = more welfare).. But liberals can't say that out loud either, so they blame the evils of capitalism. See the pattern?

You solve a problem by attacking the cause, and that's whether or not the cause happens to serve one's political agenda. Conservatives get that, liberals don't. I have seen the wonders that liberalism has brought to Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport for 40 years, and I'm not impressed. If you can look at those cities, and conclude "what we need here, is more of the same policies that got us here", then you are either not that bright, or you are a serious racist.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-25-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #38
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Kind of like protesting police brutality (which doesn't exist in any institutional level to begin with) by kneeling during our national anthem, in a time of war.
.....on National Gold Star Mother's Day.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
.....on National Gold Star Mother's Day.
It's so stupid, and so thoughtless, I'm not sure where to begin. If you don't like Trump, make a sign, or work on the Democrat campaign for whatever Mao-ist totalitarian nutjob they decide to run in 2020. Kneeling during the anthem?

Every sane person knows these jerks have the legal right to this kind of protest. But if they choose to do it at work, the Bill Of Rights doesn't mean the employer is precluded from taking action.

I have the right to walk around in a speedo. If I am a lawyer, and I dress like that in court, it is not a violation of my civil rights if my employer cans me.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #40
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
N F L
No Fans Left

League is digging their own grave.
F*** them.
Watch as the ratings continue to drop and eventually sponsors pull out.
I know I'm done watching !
110% agree. I was all set to watch the Pats yesterday and after the anthem I shut the tv off tossed the remote on the floor and walked outside to split firewood and then painted the back deck. Actually texted my friend that I hoped "lobster claw" hit Brady extra hard and that the Pats would lose for their kneeling crap.

This is the GD Patriots! This team represents America, the Minutemen and the founding of our great country and they go out and disrespect the anthem and flag! I hope the Cowboys do as the owner says and stand together. If the Patriots can't be freaking patriots, then I hope the Cowboys can be America's Team.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #41
basswipe

Screw the NFL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22008372_10215149226142711_7853532188347582569_n.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	64568  
Old 09-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #42
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I love the outrage. I was taught to stand, hand over heart, hat off. I look around at events and half the crowd is holding a beer, hat on, scratching their balls, talking etc.. o bet half of that crowd is now outraged... I agree this was a minor issue Trump stirred up into a major fu by the players..
Now if Trump could muster the same outrage for Nazis as he does for peaceful protests ... Doubt it.. his base wont allow it
Old 09-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #43
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Now if Trump could muster the same outrage for Nazis as he does for peaceful protests ... Doubt it.. his base wont allow it
Yes, legal US citizens who are Nazis, that actually acquired a permit for assembly became violent, when confronted by ANTIFA and BLM who did not have required permits.

Some Americans are Nazis, some are racists, and hell some are even witches and warlocks and they ALL have the same rights to free speech as anyone else.

But back to the topic at hand... the NFL is making a HUGE mistake on this. Best reply should have been similar to what they said about the request to honor police with the small badge on the uniform. "We are sorry but these items on uniforms or protests are not allowed on the work site". There is a time and a place for this and it is not on the NFL's work site.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #44
detbuch

Old 09-26-2017, 03:23 AM   #45
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
Yes, legal US citizens who are Nazis, that actually acquired a permit for assembly became violent, when confronted by ANTIFA and BLM who did not have required permits.

Some Americans are Nazis, some are racists, and hell some are even witches and warlocks and they ALL have the same rights to free speech as anyone else.

But back to the topic at hand... the NFL is making a HUGE mistake on this. Best reply should have been similar to what they said about the request to honor police with the small badge on the uniform. "We are sorry but these items on uniforms or protests are not allowed on the work site". There is a time and a place for this and it is not on the NFL's work site.

I made that argument "Stop it legally put a clause in all of their contracts when on the field they are on the clock . do it and get fired make it a condition of employment For all the players .." but no one wants to frame it this way. to include the POTUS

This protest is a direct result of Trump: "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. He is fired. He's fired!'" Nationalism hidden behind patriotism

The flag the disrespect of the military arguments are just camouflage

Trump cant say its not about Race when Blacks are the 99.9 of those who took a knee ..

Last edited by wdmso; 09-26-2017 at 03:34 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 AM   #46
scottw

I'm trying to figure out why they are are taking a knee.....that is a submissive posture....this is supposedly a defiant act....especially if you believe this is now all about Trump..you express your defiance by 'kneeling"?....I think they have their symbolism all messed up....but we know there's rampant brain damage in the NFL

ooooh...maybe they should all do that throat slash gesture thingy....now that would be "defiant".....wait....noooo....they would get fined and maybe suspended by the NFL for doing that

turns out the greatest, most effective Saul Alynskiite community organizer of our time is Donald Trump

Last edited by scottw; 09-26-2017 at 05:07 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #47
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I made that argument "Stop it legally put a clause in all of their contracts when on the field they are on the clock . do it and get fired make it a condition of employment For all the players .." but no one wants to frame it this way. to include the POTUS

This protest is a direct result of Trump: "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. He is fired. He's fired!'" Nationalism hidden behind patriotism

The flag the disrespect of the military arguments are just camouflage

Trump cant say its not about Race when Blacks are the 99.9 of those who took a knee ..
It IS in their contract, its called the Personal Conduct Policy. The NFL has suspended/fined many a player for violations of the policy. Its a catch-all that they use quite frequently. The NFL has decided not to use it here. So since they are deciding to let them protest in this manner, they get to deal with any and all fallout from it.

and believe it or not, people actually DO appreciate what the men/women serving do. It is not "Camouflage", it truly is pissing people off, and that certainly isn't going to garner any sympathy for their cause.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:15 AM   #48
scottw

the NFL should replace Carrie Underwood with Jane Fonda....they don't deserve Carrie or that dress....YEOW!!!
Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #49
spence

Quote:
Remember, you're talking to someone who denies white privledge exists.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #50
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhitePrivilegeChecklist.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	64573  
Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #51
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Old 09-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #52
PaulS

Quote:
It IS in their contract, its called the Personal Conduct Policy. The NFL has suspended/fined many a player for violations of the policy. Its a catch-all that they use quite frequently. The NFL has decided not to use it here. So since they are deciding to let them protest in this manner, they get to deal with any and all fallout from it.
That is correct and in fact I think they have something in the contract about the Anthem.

and believe it or not, people actually DO appreciate what the men/women serving do. It is not "Camouflage", it truly is pissing people off, and that certainly isn't going to garner any sympathy for their cause.
I don't think the players mean any disrespect towards people who served. It is just that they feel blacks aren't being treated equally.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #53
scottw

Quote:
I don't think the players mean any disrespect towards people who served. It is just that they feel blacks aren't being treated equally.
oooohhh, that makes sense....so getting down on one knee during the National Anthem(often while someone who is "black" is singing the National Anthem)...does exactly what again??
Old 09-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #54
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
oooohhh, that makes sense....so getting down on one knee during the National Anthem(often while someone who is "black" is singing the National Anthem)...does exactly what again??

Pretty sure most would agree the best performance of the national anthem at any NFL game ever was Whitney Houston, one of the Bills Super Bowls.
Pretty sure she was black and lived quite a "privileged" life unlike the majority of white America.
The only thing that gets you privilege today is $$$
Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #55
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I may have bought that the very first time they did it, But when it was first done last year it was very evident that people were taking it as disrespectful. To keep doing it tells me they are very aware that it is being taken that way. Because I don't think they lack the intelligence to understand that.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #56
PaulS

Quote:
I may have bought that the very first time they did it, But when it was first done last year it was very evident that people were taking it as disrespectful. To keep doing it tells me they are very aware that it is being taken that way. Because I don't think they lack the intelligence to understand that.
So playing devil's advocate. If I say someone posts here are racist and they truly believe they are not, should they stop posting those thoughts? Wouldn't their change of behavior indicate that their prior actions were infact racist?

Pres. Trump's calling them "SOBs" after calling Neo Nazis' "fine people" threw fuel on the fire. I just read a report saying he did it bc he wanted to shore up support from his base after the firestorm of complaints that he worked w/Schumer and Pelosi. He saw the reaction in Iowa after comments he made about Kapernick. Watch the approval rating from his base go up next time polls are released after they recently eroded.

What does Nebe say "Making America hate again".
Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #57
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
So playing devil's advocate. If I say someone posts here are racist and they truly believe they are not, should they stop posting those thoughts? Wouldn't their change of behavior indicate that their prior actions were infact racist?
Just because you say someone's posts are racist.....doesn't automatically make them so...

That word has been so over used as of late it has completely lost its effectiveness.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #58
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Well it certainly looks like Ben Roethlisberger know what the anthem represents, as well as him mentioning other team mates and teams knowing what it means too...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BenTweet.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	64575  

Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The protests last year were about race. The protests yesterday, were about Trump insulting them, let's not turn this into a march into Selma.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
I am sure you are correct, I bet that most of the players respect the military. But they didn't care, that this form of protest, is upsetting to those same people.

And again, if the players were concerned with racial injustice, they would have protested last year with Colin what's-his-name. Yesterday was about Trump criticizing them, not about racial justice. Come on.