Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
basswipe

Flag Etiquette PartII

Why would I post this here you might ask?Let me explain.

I get it...I'm horrified by the election results too,but when I saw an upsidedown flag this morning the anger outweighed any feelings I had about this campaign.

Hanging the flag in duress is in this situation a terribly wrong thing to do and especially offensive to anyone who has ever served.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

ya that's a bit much

no need for that kind of thing

I hope people knocked on their door and asked them what was up with that
Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

No need for that kind if crap
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

No shortage of idiots in this world.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

agreed, thats crap
Im American and I am f'in fine and so is my country.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

My sister-in-laws brother changed his Profile Pic on Facebook to an upside down flag....one of his FB friends, a Marine, ripped him a new one about it.

Its been changed back...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Some people think they are in civil-political distress and that is one way to display it. I think that is a bit extreme.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Jim in CT

It's extreme, but not disrespectful. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for doing it.

In my opinion, our country is not f'in fine.
  • We kill 4,000 unborn babies a day, 95% are for sheer convenience.
  • Our debt is $16T and growing by $1.5T a year.
  • SS and Medicare are underfunded by at least $40 trillion, and if anyone dares to say "gee, is that something we should be concerned about?", our president (and every network except one) will claim that person hates old people.
  • Unemployment is almost 8%
  • 2 superb Americans died in Benghazi, after risking their lives to save 30 fellow Americans. They died fighting for their lives, they asked for help, and though help was available, it never came. 8 weeks later, our "transparent" President has told us nothing, and none of the azz-kissers in the media have the integrity to ask. As a Marine, that bothers me a hell of a lot more than someone exercising their right to free speech

If you don't think we're in distress, and I mean genuine distress...yuo aren't paying attention.

Where am I wrong?

And here's what I'd like to know...one of the killed former SEALs is Ty Woods. Mr Woods ignored an order to stand down, ran to the US Consulate which was under attack, and got 30 dipolmats back to the CIA annex. When that came under attack, Mr Woods went up on the roof to fight, and to relay info to his superiors.

Here's what I want to know...where the hell are the 30 people that might have died at the consulate if not rescued by Mr Woods? Why aren't they demanding answers as to why their savior was abandoned by this administration. Abandoned on a rooftop in Libya, fighting like a tiger so that they could survive.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
In my opinion, our country is not f'in fine.
  • We kill 4,000 unborn babies a day, 95% are for sheer convenience.
  • Our debt is $16T and growing by $1.5T a year.
  • SS and Medicare are underfunded by at least $40 trillion, and if anyone dares to say "gee, is that something we should be concerned about?", our president (and every network except one) will claim that person hates old people.
  • Unemployment is almost 8%
  • 2 superb Americans died in Benghazi, after risking their lives to save 30 fellow Americans. They died fighting for their lives, they asked for help, and though help was available, it never came. 8 weeks later, our "transparent" President has told us nothing, and none of the azz-kissers in the media have the integrity to ask. As a Marine, that bothers me a hell of a lot more than someone exercising their right to free speech

If you don't think we're in distress, and I mean genuine distress...yuo aren't paying attention.
you're not necessarily wrong, but given the great history of this nation, it aint a blip in the grand scheme of things.
I dont think we're heading in the right direction, but things have more dire in our history.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
you're not necessarily wrong, but given the great history of this nation, it aint a blip in the grand scheme of things.
I dont think we're heading in the right direction, but things have more dire in our history.
I hear you. But I don't think a $16 trillion debt, and the oncoming financial avalanche from the Baby Boomers, can be dismissed as a blip. It might be the second biggest challenge we have ever faced, after WWII.

And this problem is more complicated. WWII was epic, but a simple concept - there they are, go kill them. How on Earth do you provide the necessary medical care to the baby Boomers when they are frail and sick? The choices seem to be, either we all go bankrupt to care for them, or we tighten our wallets and watch them suffer.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
basswipe

Quote:
It's extreme, but not disrespectful. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for doing it.
Extreme it is and disrespectful it most certainly is!

Btw its not distress...its DURESS!!!Please get it right as there is a difference.And no I will not explain the difference as you obviously have a computer,find out for yourself.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Norm - US Flag Code calls it Distress:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL30243.pdf

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Extreme it is and disrespectful it most certainly is!

Btw its not distress...its DURESS!!!Please get it right as there is a difference.And no I will not explain the difference as you obviously have a computer,find out for yourself.
There are cefrtain situations in which it's appropriate for the flag to be flown upside-down. Some people feel we are in such a situation, and in my opinion, they can make a compelling case.

Example...Barack The Red is trying to force Catholic Churches to provide contraception to their employees. The Church believes that is immoral, antithetical to the Catechism. Now, you must realize that your opinion on birth-control is not the issue here...rather, the issue is whether or not Roman Catholics are free to practice their religion, without having to brook interference from the feds.

This country literally began as an exercise in religious freedom. Obama thinks religious freedom only applies to religious beliefs that he happens to agree with, and he is quite comfy passing laws that make it illegal to act in accordance with beliefs that he doesn't happen to like.

If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what to say. But it causes duress, or distress, to a great many people.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;968411]

This country literally began as an exercise in religious freedom. Obama thinks religious freedom only applies to religious beliefs that he happens to agree with, and he is quite comfy passing laws that make it illegal to act in accordance with beliefs that he doesn't happen to like.

QUOTE]

With statements like "vote for revenge", I wonder what his relegion is.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
There are cefrtain situations in which it's appropriate for the flag to be flown upside-down. Some people feel we are in such a situation, and in my opinion, they can make a compelling case.
I suppose its compelling if you're INSANE.

Quote:
Example...Barack The Red is trying to force Catholic Churches to provide contraception to their employees.
They want birth control covered in their INSURANCE COVERAGE. They're not forcing them to give out birth control which you would like to make it out as. Stop lying.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=justplugit;968419]
Quote:

QUOTE]

With statements like "vote for revenge", I wonder what his relegion is.
We know what his religion is - Black Liberation Theology (at least, that was his religion until it became policialy expedient for him to say that something less repulsive was his religion). Where he listened to his admitted sPiritual mentor (Rev Wright) claim that the US Government invented AIDS to eradicate blacks.

When you look at it in that context, the 'vote for revenge' statement seems totally within his character.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-09-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
striperman36
Old Guy

We definitely need a LIKE button around here.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
I suppose its compelling if you're INSANE.

They want birth control covered in their INSURANCE COVERAGE. They're not forcing them to give out birth control which you would like to make it out as. Stop lying.
"They want birth control covered in their INSURANCE COVERAGE"

Originally, Obama wanted to Churches to pay for it directly. When that was met with uproar, he said the insurance companies would pay for it.

Now, maybe you can tell me the difference? Because who gives the insurance companies the money to pay for the products it dispenses? The church.

Likwid, all Obama is doing, is creating a middle man (the insurer) in the transaction. Obama is tlling the church "catholics, you give your money to the insurance company, and then the insurance company will use your money to buy contraceptives to give to you remployees".

You'd realize this, if you weren't IGNORANT (caps inserted for same emphasis you used to call me insane)

Likwid, our debt is $16 trillion, and is expected to be over $20 trillion by the time Obama is out. In addition, we owe at least another $40 trillion to fund SS and Medicare for the Baby Boomers.

That is fact. Not opinion, but hard, irrefutable fact. Now, if that doesn't worry you, that means one of two things...either you don't understand 3rd grade math, or you genuinely have no concern whatsoever for future generations wo will get crushed by that debt. There is no third option, so how about telling me which it is.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Norm - US Flag Code calls it Distress:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL30243.pdf
(a) The flag should never be displayed with union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Imagine that.

Quote:
What Military bases fly the American Flag upside down?
US History Questions
Answers.com > Wiki Answers > Categories > History, Politics & Society > History > US History

Best Answer

Answer

None! Unless under duress .
What's the above word?

The "new" definition is PC at best.Funny someone like me used the word duress.....there is a big difference John,it actually used to mean something and now its just an excuse to hang the flag upside down when you don't like something.

Last edited by basswipe; 11-09-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
(a) The flag should never be displayed with union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
Our current debt, including shortfalls to SS and Medicare, is about $60 trillion. That's increasing by $1.5 trillion a year, and the interest is accumulating. That works out to $200,000 for every living American, plus interest.

So. Either (1) the Chinese are going to tell us to forget the whole thing, or (2) we face a legitimate national security threat.

Basswipe, if you want to pay that $200,000 debt for everyone in my family of 5, I will stop acting as if my family's property is at risk. Until then, I think I have a fairly legitimate cause for concern.

How am I wrong?