Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Buttigieg

I keep hearing mayor Pete is moderate. Is he meaningfully more centrist than Bernie? On what issues? Not on abortion. He’s still polling miserably with blacks.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
spence

He’s a progressive but he’s rational about the appetite for change. I think candidates like him are not going to be revolutionary, more like the dedicated driver to get us closer to home after the last three years.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He’s a progressive but he’s rational about the appetite for change. I think candidates like him are not going to be revolutionary, more like the dedicated driver to get us closer to home after the last three years.
that was a lot of fizz and not much gin. any policy specifics on which they disagree? or is it just style.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
that was a lot of fizz and not much gin. any policy specifics on which they disagree? or is it just style.
He’s much more moderate than Bernie on healthcare for sure. Doesn’t go after wealth like Bernie does. Etc...
Old 02-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
He’s much more moderate than Bernie on healthcare for sure. Doesn’t go after wealth like Bernie does. Etc...
gotcha. thanks.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
PaulS

You won't hear him demonizing billionaires like Sanders.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
detbuch

You guys speak as if Buttigieg would actually control policy and legislation. There is this appearance that Trump has the power to direct the country. If he wasn't basically executing what the Republican Party has been stating as goals, he would not be "getting anything done." Buttigieg will have to bend to the will of his radically trending Party. As would Klobuchar. The President's energy, persuasive personality, and influence is a plus (debatable that Buttigieg has enough of those qualities), but he can't successfully stray from the Party's political principles.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
another good point.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
spence

I don’t care if he’s young. I work with a lot of people his age that have great experience. Trump is old and has shown terrible leadership. He’s freaking smart, well educated and a veteran. I wouldn’t count him out.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
another good point.
Is either Mayor Pete or Bernie going to control what happens to Billionaires. Words are one thing. Power and action are another. Congress and its political persuasion have the power. And the President can successfully veto only if one of the congressional branches is with him. It is doubtfull that Mayor Peter would make much of a difference from Bernie in actual effect. Eventually, we vote for a governing Party with all of its baggage, and hope that the executive has the personal characteristics to promote and execute that baggage.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
I don’t care if he’s young. I work with a lot of people his age that have great experience. Trump is old and has shown terrible leadership. He’s freaking smart, well educated and a veteran. I wouldn’t count him out.
None of this is true Spence.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Pete is polling dismally with blacks. And he threw his cops completely under the liberal bus, saying law enforcement is rooted in racism. and he apologized for saying all lives matter. he apologized for saying that. “Education” can be intellectually subtractive in some cases.

As someone who hopes Trump wins, I’m rooting for Sanders or Pete. I can’t see any of them doing well in swing states. But i could be very wrong.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:16 AM   #13
scottw

Quote:
a spence endorsement is the kiss of death
Old 02-13-2020, 05:18 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
sanders is an insane communist....but he has great hair and I love to hear him talk