Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Media in General

I think I'd rather watch American Pickers or a Friends or Mash rerun than the same crap on local news, CNN or MSNBC. It's mentally exhausting to turn on any channel knowing that it's likely something really bad locally or globally has happened today. While I don't watch the Mountain Men series, I envy guys that might be disconnected from the constant negative news we are confronted with daily and their only worry today is did they have success in their traps.

What is it today, cops shooting someone reaching for his license as requested, school shootings by a teen who's parents that can't imagine little Johnny having those emotional troubles, vans or trucks running down innocent tourists trying to enjoy their hard earned vacations; or the latest missile launch and chest pounding rhetoric in the east vs west latest and greatest.

There are times I long for the good old days of no cell phones, family Sunday dinners over Walt Disney, little league games and a more respectful and simple life. Challenges change with each passing decade and while I know and love we are living in one of the best places on earth, the negativity at times is a bit much.

I respect ALL on this board and wish them and their extended families the very best. At times politics can bring out the best and the very worse in many, we saw that so vividly during the latest election. I think it's important to remember what this country was founded on an I honor every one's right to free speech and their opinion. I might not agree, but I welcome all to express their opinions and I hope that is a two way street.

I'm a Sci-Fi junky and I believe there are global issues coming that will require global solutions. While at times I'd like Scotty to beam me off this rock, I hope that we don't F ourselves before the major powers on this rock finally understand so much more can be done collectively. I'm lucky to be an American! I'm proud to be an American! At times I'm scared to be an American! Sad to see there is a target on our heads from within and globally.

Be healthy, be strong and as the Clammer Man suggest; enjoy what you have!

Last edited by Got Stripers; 08-17-2017 at 07:40 PM..
Old 08-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Jim in CT

GREAT post
Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I agree it is a sad state of affairs when the media has been given the power to give opinion as if it were reporting the truth. It seems to be tearing the country apart from within.

I am reminded that people have gotten away from God and religion more and more as making a living has been getting harder and harder priorities change, people want more things. Maybe it is time to be more minimalist as you yourself have downsized to a yak, others do similar stuff. Do we need all this stuff? If the chit hits the fan, better have your family set and priorities in order.

Remember when the town I live in Middleboro decided to enforce the law about swearing in public and got all kinds of criticism? It happened because old folks spoke up about it downtown sick of hearing kids mouthing off and being disrespectful. There is supposed to be a rule of law for good reason.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Trump is absolutely correct
FAKE NEWS !!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
Cool Beans

American Pickers, Alaska Last Frontier, Mountainmen, Counting Cars, or even that smart azz on the Wicked Pizzah.. they all rate higher than any of the daily news shows.

Hell I will even watch those idiots on Alaska Bush People before local news....
Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I watch the news all the time, varied sources and subject matter experts as much as possible. This is one way it is easier to develop context on problems in the news. When you see CNN/FOX/MSNBCOMMIE run a story it is usually one perspective and done by the junior research staff with abounding errors. Throw in the liberal journo school bias and you have news that at best is mildly accurate and worse plain false.

We had a good run for 200 sumptin' years, I hope we can keep it. But the politicians and the people on the ground have not been this divided maybe since the 50s (1850s). I was not alive / old enough to compare the 1960s.

I did live through the 80s and saw a time as frightening as now where we traded the Fulda Gap for the Sulwaki Gap.

ISIS is not an existential threat, Norks are close in some very narrow windows of doom. RUS/PRC is a problem.
The good news is Able Archer will be tweeted. /sarc

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: