Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
JackK
Not Jack

MA car insurance

Need to finally switch my tags to MA and become a m@sshole. Any suggestions on a good auto insurance company? Or any nightmare stories, companies to avoid?

Thanks
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Nebe

Talk to Rob Taylor
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Pete_G

They all suck. Total scam industry. Buy a bicycle or something. $%&^&*(_()&*.

Seriously I have no idea. I'm never owning a nice car again. Too financially risky.

Yeah, I'm kind of bitter. To that end, NOT impressed with Geico. Never needed insurance before, finally did in an accident that was 100% the other party's fault, and it has been quite the nightmare.

Various battles with the adjusters to get all the work done that they should have written up in the first place (makes me wonder WHY they didn't write it up...), they won't fix the A/C that failed because of the accident because it can't be 100% proven the accident caused the failure (I'm sure the massive front end collision had nothing to do with it), the numbers as it relates to what would total the vehicle kept moving, they valued the car HIGHER then what it normally would be worth because it was in such good condition which helped keep it from being totaled, the list goes on much longer then that but I don't have all day to list all the details.

My car is now worth half what it was if the sampling of my attempted trade in attempts is any indication due to the extent of the frame damage and I have a $1500 repair bill for my A/C. This was in RI, but take it for what it's worth. Quite heated about the whole ordeal...
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
JackK
Not Jack

Not sure if I trust the bobcat on that one. If I needed to file a claim, he'd likely be out fishing

I have heard that Geico is atrocious. Spends all their money on advertising. I've previously had Allstate, which was OK. But if there's a better one I'm all ears.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

This is in RI, but here's my findings.

Progressive, good rates, was great when I slammed a deer with my truck, no hassle on the fixes, everything was handled great.

Allstate. Great company, but rates would raise every 6 months due to state increases. I stopped going with them after they refused to lower my rates after getting other quotes.

Back to progressive now, no issues.

I went thru AAA and got a sick deal and I added a renters policy which was twice the value of all states and cheaper.
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

All my insurance is through Amica. I've had several circumstances where they've just 'wrote the check' no issues. Car and House.

The tree through the house roof was a little sick but they paid the entire claim without bitching
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
All my insurance is through Amica. I've had several circumstances where they've just 'wrote the check' no issues. Car and House.

The tree through the house roof was a little sick but they paid the entire claim without bitching
I used to have Amica and cannot say enough good things about them. I had my house, car and boat insurance with them when I lived in RI and wouldn't have switched except we moved back to MA. Our good family friend is an agent who doesn't do business in RI but hooked us up in MA.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
tysdad115

I deal with insurance companies frequently and just had a surprising instance with Arbella. A customer of mine was in a front end collision in 2/12, noticed in July it was using coolant,of course it was accident related..anyways it needed cylinder heads, Arbella sent out an adjuster. They looked at it determined it was covered..I was amazed. Replacing cylinder heads would have been approx $3500.00 , figured Arbella would depreciate it down to near 0 coverage, I spoke with the claims adjuster Arbella offers a "direct replacement" clause which the customer had (they said it was cheap to add) and the Insurance Co paid the entire bill, no questions asked. I was amazed, I'm looking into changing my policies over in March .

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G View Post
They all suck. Total scam industry. Buy a bicycle or something. $%&^&*(_()&*.

Seriously I have no idea. I'm never owning a nice car again. Too financially risky.

Yeah, I'm kind of bitter. To that end, NOT impressed with Geico. Never needed insurance before, finally did in an accident that was 100% the other party's fault, and it has been quite the nightmare.

Various battles with the adjusters to get all the work done that they should have written up in the first place (makes me wonder WHY they didn't write it up...), they won't fix the A/C that failed because of the accident because it can't be 100% proven the accident caused the failure (I'm sure the massive front end collision had nothing to do with it), the numbers as it relates to what would total the vehicle kept moving, they valued the car HIGHER then what it normally would be worth because it was in such good condition which helped keep it from being totaled, the list goes on much longer then that but I don't have all day to list all the details.

My car is now worth half what it was if the sampling of my attempted trade in attempts is any indication due to the extent of the frame damage and I have a $1500 repair bill for my A/C. This was in RI, but take it for what it's worth. Quite heated about the whole ordeal...
Jesus dude, talk to H next time we're down. She does ins for a living.

Allstate is decent here in MA.
Used to have Commerce for years but Allstate was cheaper.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Raven

i second the Allstate
phone 401-765-5000

very pleasant to deal with
talk to iliana olea (sweet)
their price beat everyone elses
bend over backwards service
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
chrisjoe13

If you (or a family member) were ever in the military, try USAA.

Cheap and good.
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Jenn

Arbella....

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjoe13 View Post

Cheap and good.
Hands down the best insurance company of all time.
They go way above and beyond with their customer service. I'm amazed at how good they are.
I had commerce before and I would never use them again.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
JamesJet

My family and I have always used Amica (from back when you needed to be referenced in), nothing but great things to say. Now that I am married my wife is a USAA member from her dad's service and they are amazing as well. Their buying power non negotiation car prices are worth it for a year. I walked into a dealer talked for a while and stated the price and why. He immediately wisked me to the managers office and I got my vehicle at a VERY good price.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Don't forget about the $250 surcharge for being from Philly.....thats how we weed out the un-desirables

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Slick Moedee

USAA if eligable

Originally Posted by chrisjoe13

Cheap and good.
Hands down the best insurance company of all time.
They go way above and beyond with their customer service. I'm amazed at how good they are.
I had commerce before and I would never use them again.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Stay away from Travelers. They are more interested in there agents than in the paying customer.
Had insurance on a vehicle (stamped registration) and when I had a problem come to find out I wasn't insured.
I guess the agent had no errors and omissions policyandI have never heard from him.
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post
Stay away from Travelers. They are more interested in there agents than in the paying customer.
Had insurance on a vehicle (stamped registration) and when I had a problem come to find out I wasn't insured.
I guess the agent had no errors and omissions policyandI have never heard from him.
Thats the agent's fault, not Travelers.
They're responsible with getting all info to Travelers, which they clearly did not.

I don't deal with my agency with my marine insurance, only direct.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

My agent keeps switching us between Safety and Arbella, depending on which company offers the better rates at renewal. No problems with either.

Of course, we haven't had to make a claim.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote