Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 02-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Anne Collins...up urs

Someone tell me WHERE I gave consent to use my drivers license information FOR OTHER PURPOSES.

"Anne L. Collins, the Massachusetts registrar of motor vehicles, said that people seeking a driver’s license at least implicitly consent to allowing their images to be used for other purposes."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/17/us...gewanted=print

This is scary stuff. they took a picture off someones license for SPORT and used it to create a cross reference to go arrest someone who they THOUGHT looked like the same person...

i plugged my response in my clammer encoder.. %$%$%$%$ you ba#@4 kiss !!@#! license %$%$%$%$ u

this state is so messed up.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

THIS is just the tip of the iceberg. Some may not know it but FEDS are trying to mandate a national drivers license modeled after the new passports which will be soon required i think in 2008...they have microchips inside them...

here's what will happen with this...VERY simple scanners can be hidden in someones pocket that an innocent person standing in a airport terminal reading a newspaper could be scanning every person that walks by, store their information into their little palm computer, IPOD, or similar device, and then have all your information including digitized picture to VERY easily steal your information. Now compound this by the new licenses they want with the microchips and envision someone standing outside walmart, or at a supermarket checkout line and imagine how many people they could scan in just a minute. THOUSANDS.

You think identity theft is a problem now? wait.

I urge anyone that gets one of these new licenses or passports to completely wrap it in tin foil multiple times to protect yourself. By shielding these items with metal you will ELIMINATE this theft from happening. This is going to make it sooooooo easy to steal peoples information it's sickly pathetic and they know it too!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Someone tell me WHERE I gave consent to use my drivers license information FOR OTHER PURPOSES.
Well, today they can run checks against a database of names, SS numbers, DL numbers etc... that have been submitted in the same manner.

How is this any different?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

because now they can take biometric stuff, put it in a computer and let the computer decide if it matches someone? and if this rf id stuff is exploited like this then you will see huge problems with criminals. it's like giving a fox a key to the chicken pen. hey i'm all for catching the bad guys but who is the rmv to decide that my information is available to anyone with my consent?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
spence

I think the RFID issues are certainly serious, but it's a different matter than the photo use.

Today they use all sorts of computer processes to sort through information and detect patterns or similarities that could help prosecute criminals. I'm not sure how using photographs would be any different from a legal perspective...although I'm also not a legal expert.

Is there room for error, sure and a lot of it. But mistaken identity is already accounted for in the process.

-spence
Old 02-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
so your saying, theres going to be microchips inside the licenses? i dont like that idea and salty your saying exactly what i'm thinking..

tin foil it is..

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

spence i'm at the point where i start to look at this like alot of these critics are, it's a invasion of privacy. I'm a law abiding us citizen, nothing gives these guys the right to take my information and let a computer crunch thru this stuff, next thing you know they'll be a knock at the door because some lawmaker made removing a hangnail in public illegal and they'll want to take you away in cuffs because they found you in a computer database from a redlite camera and cross referenced it to a picture of your third cousin removed and used the dna database to link the hangnail they found on the ground to you. It's kinda funny but the old movies were kinda right where they portray the machines as ruling the world in a police state. I think that's where this stuff is going someday. This is just the beginning. kinda scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think the RFID issues are certainly serious, but it's a different matter than the photo use.

Today they use all sorts of computer processes to sort through information and detect patterns or similarities that could help prosecute criminals. I'm not sure how using photographs would be any different from a legal perspective...although I'm also not a legal expert.

Is there room for error, sure and a lot of it. But mistaken identity is already accounted for in the process.

-spence
Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Nebe

Big Brother is watching you-

maybe the federal fishing liscense will have a chip in it- guys could trace everyone to their secret honey holes...
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
animal

Yeah,the world is in a big hurry to eff itself up.I believe the general idea is that everyone will have a license with a chip,it will also contain their credit cards,bank accounts etc...They wanna do away with cash alltogether.Kinda off-topic,but take a paper bill,anthing over a one.Hold it in front of a light.You'll see a line about 1 inch from the left running vertically.Make a tear about 1/8 inch at the top of the bill,on top of that line.You'll find a plastic strip.You can pull it right out of the bill with no damage to the bill.While they said it was to make counterfeitting that much harder,I've since read it contains a small amount of metal,so that if you have say $10,000 cash on you,you can't get through an airport metal detector.Big Brother is INDEED watching you.
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

animal that is exactly correct, and that is how they catch guys like those clerics last week that came into an airport with 60k and said they had 10...whatcha got to hide it for unless it's for no good.

this stuff scares the crap out of me, lookit tj maxx about the id thefts...they got all the sigs digitized now, easy to steal my exact signature now and photocopy onto something nasty.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Backbeach Jake

Wink

Suppose some smartass like myself infected his liscense with a nice virus or worm, would that be illegal. They'd steal a lot more than my ID, eh?

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #12
thortum

This is a disturbing subject. I ,like most others, don't like being able to be tracked. Where allowing the to government to take our freedom a little bit at a time. It goes back to things like gun control, seat belt law, smoking bans, etc. How do we stop it? Maybe we should start by voting the bums out, but I believe there,s a long line of replacement bums waiting in the wings.
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
basswipe

Wonder how long it'll be before a guy in a uniform asks "Papers please".
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #14
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Some may not know it but FEDS are trying to mandate a national drivers license modeled after the new passports which will be soon required i think in 2008...they have microchips inside them...
Nothing on them is encrypted.
Its just normal junk info with the same info that you see IN a passport.
And they're very short range.

Im happier that this will speed up the retards in customs that have to flip through every goddamn page to make sure its all good and clear. And that an RFID will make it damn near impossible to counterfeit a license. (Illegal immigrants/Underage drinking/Fugitives)

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal View Post
While they said it was to make counterfeitting that much harder,I've since read it contains a small amount of metal,so that if you have say $10,000 cash on you,you can't get through an airport metal detector.Big Brother is INDEED watching you.
Urban legend.

And tell me, just how exactly are you going to walk through a metal detector with $10,000 in cash without someone noticing a F'ING HUGE WAD OF BILLS?!

Last edited by likwid; 02-18-2007 at 10:14 AM..

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #15
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Anne L. Collins

As Miss Collins stated your license is part of who you are and when asked under certain circumstances you must show it. Everyones picture is available to law enforcement by accessing the C.J.I.S. computor system. I would bet in the small town I work in we print out pic's at the station and drive them to an officer who has someone stopped whom they suspect of being someone else, family member, friend, and they have assumed the other person identity to avoid prosecution for something. Shortly our mobile data terminals in the cruisers will have that program in the cruisers so everytime you run a license check, which is everytime you stop a car, the pic will pop up. You'd be amazed how many times we stop a person using his brother/sisters info and thenever find out until its too late.
I know one kid who has a revoked driver's license and has for ten years because of someone in Springfield that decided to use this kids info and has been arrested and received scores of tickets. This kid has another driver's license number but both numbers come up when he gets run, the revoked number and the good numberwhen he gets stopped.
My only problem with what Salty is complaining about is thier is too much wrong with the system as it is without adding infinitely more complex solutions to problems that have yet to occur, without first hammering out all the possible issues with ID theft.
The article reads like it was a one-time thing and on its face did well. Facial recognition programs will someday replace other flawed law enforcement tools that are the basis for so many appelate appeals now.

Last edited by Swimmer; 02-18-2007 at 11:02 AM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

LIKWID

All of your information contained on the front of Massachusetts licenses is encryted on the strip on the back side of it, with the exception of a picture. Eventually police cruisers, and shortly, will be outfitted with license swipes that will show if the license is fake or not. Many liquor stores already use them. Everytime I buy a six-pack I beg the girl to ID me, but alas she doesn't. Your right about passports. I take fake passport classes every year and nothing is encrypted in any way shape or form. The only thing new recently is that your picture is printed on the first inside page and is not laminated on the passport.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #17
MAC

Urban legend.

And tell me, just how exactly are you going to walk through a metal detector with $10,000 in cash without someone noticing a F'ING HUGE WAD OF BILLS?![/QUOTE]

Actually a stack of 10K is not much thicker than a check book. Approx 3/8" to1/2" if in 100s
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Actually a stack of 10K is not much thicker than a check book. Approx 3/8" to1/2" if in 100s
You're told to remove everything from your pockets.
They'll notice.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 02-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #19
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Urban legend.

And tell me, just how exactly are you going to walk through a metal detector with $10,000 in cash without someone noticing a F'ING HUGE WAD OF BILLS?!
Actually a stack of 10K is not much thicker than a check book. Approx 3/8" to1/2" if in 100s[/QUOTE]

I was at Heathrow Airport in London when a very well dressed, polite English gentleman approached me and asked if I was in the habit of traveling with large sums of cash. I in turn politely requested he go perform an unatural act upon himself. He responded by saying "then you don't mind if we search you". Out of nowhere two not so polite English gentleman shoved me against the wall and proceeded to find out for themselves. Only finding a few hundred quid they apologized, thanked me and went on their way. Apparently Brits don't need metal dectectors to catch cash smugglers.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #20
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
I in turn politely requested he go perform an unatural act upon himself.
Advice to travelers: Don't do this in not-so-friendly countries.
You could find yourself somewhere you really don't want to be getting laughs when you ask to call the embassy.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 02-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
You could find yourself somewhere you really don't want to be getting laughs when you ask to call the embassy.
Yea, but the sniper would just flash a little bling of the wrist and get all el presidente on them

-spence
Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #22
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Its scary enough when you think you're being robbed by Benny Hill.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #23
spence

Quote:
Nice

You didn't jot down what they were wearing did you? I'd love to know.

-spence
Old 02-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #24
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Nice

You didn't jot down what they were wearing did you? I'd love to know.

-spence
I'm recalling Tweed.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #25
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #26
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

roflmao tdf thanks for that