Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Raven

flash storage network (new tech)

http://www.kurzweilai.net/storage-sy...9dd4-282118213
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Mr. Sandman

sort of like a network storage devise (NSA) using a raid array of ssd's . But better.

pretty cool. Imagine what will be around on your grand-kids computer.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
Raven

those computers will be walking with them in hand
we are rapidly approaching the Singularity

Mans last INVENTION or the most significant one
where our total mind will be uploaded to a ROBOTIC
second self (processor) that is essentially immortal
Old 02-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Raven

the other thing that is mind blowing

when the first computer was invented
it took a very large room to HOUSE it all

that same amount of computational power
and loads more not to mention processor SPEED
can now fit into a wrist watch PC
Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Mr. Sandman

Some computers still fill rooms (MPP machines)... but the relative power is mind boggling.

The other day I was playing with one of my kids machines when he was home from college. I pulled out the thumb drive and it was a 250 GB thumb drive! Jezzzz! I said. I asked him...what the heck did this cost? "About 175 bucks")

I remember in 1985 buying a new hard disk for my MicroVax mini computer for my company and it was 300 MB and cost over $5000 and was the size of a large tackle box. And it was considered giant back then. Times have changed.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Raven

THE OTHER NEW TECHNOLOGY THAT I FIND TO BE EXTREMELY INTERESTING
pardon me caps
is in the new discovery of graphene. similar to graphite but it is the thinnest material known .... and is able to be a coating on electrical items at around 1000 times thinner than a human hair yet it transmits electricity 1000 times faster than anything else we have yet discovered.... and NOW with flexible led panels coming out ....there will be astounding applications especially in the field of Solar arrays and computers because these technologies will begin to BLEND together.

Solar cells used to always have to be separate and now they can be STACKED on top of one another
and they have a new technology that allows them to absorb light from a multi directional arrangement and they are sandwiching these cells with the graphene.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Mr. Sandman

I generally don't bring any of this up because I don't think anyone would be interested in this kind of stuff

But...Interesting you mention that! My son is a materials science/chemistry major and has studied this and actually made graphene in a lab. It is a hot topic of research. It is actually pretty easy concept to make as it cleaves itself in half and in half again and again until you get down to almost one molecule thick. He explains it if you take pencil lead on paper and put tape on the lead...then peel it off, half remains on the paper and half on the tape...keep doing that until you get to one molecule thick. Now use that material to etch a chip on to. That is basically the concept but with atomic precision.

The amazing thing about graphene is the almost magical electrical properties but also the incredible thermal properties. Imagine making a chip that runs much much faster without producing heat. laptops running at the unheard of speeds using a watch battery for power and not producing any heat. That is what is coming.

you might be interested in my current project. GPU computing. Trying to get an engineering code to run on a Tesla GPU (2800 cores). Should increase the performance by at least an order of magnitude if I can get it to work. I have worked on large MPP machines and ported a CFD code to them for fluid flow analysis of ship hulls . I want to tinker with a new planing hull design. If I can get this to work I might be able to do multivariable optimization of the design geometry in a realistic time period. I have done this coarsely before but it is pretty hands on and involved. I am more of an engineer than a computer geek. So it will be a struggle for me to get it to work but I will as I am trying to teach myself this new language. (Since my body is nearly shot I should probably try and keep the white-matter active)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
Nebe

Awesome sandman!!! Good luck with that project!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #9
Raven

yes ....very interested.... SANDMAN WOW your on the cutting edge

i am doing dream manipulation where i go into my dream and re organize it
to see what transpires and look for revelations.... hard to explain
unless your doing it but suffice to say once you've done a dry run
the idea's pop into your head a whole lot easier when your lucid dreaming

and for that i am using sound stimulation plus special nutrients
found in in REISHE Mushrooms for more focus and to super charge my immune system
as there are powerful super bugs evolving as fast "as is" technology