Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thinking outa the box--

Obama sent $535 million to improve the Detroit school system.

Currently only 35% of students graduate Detroit High Schools and only 5% go to college.

70% of the students come from one parent homes.

Anybody around inner city schools knows the biggest part of the problem is
the lack of discipline and involvement by the parents ,not the lack of funds.
It's a parent responsibility thing.

So thinking outa the box to help solve the problem, he sends $535 million, while meantime the school system cannot account for $60 million from the last government infusion.

Good thinking from a down in the pits community organizer.

Ya can't buy responsibility and integrity, but votes, ya for sure.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

So instead; 535 Million to bribe fathers to stay? Or for mothers to discipline kids?

Besides turning the clock back to 1950, whats the answer?

Or just F-em, let them pull themselves up by their boot straps and live the American dream...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
buckman

535 Million!!!! How many freakin kids in that system.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
So instead; 535 Million to bribe fathers to stay? Or for mothers to discipline kids?

Or just F-em, let them pull themselves up by their boot straps and live the American dream...
Actually, your three questions would work better than giving the money to a system that doesn't know what to, productively, do with it. I live in Detroit. It is a money sewer. Charter schools are making inroads into the Public School system, which has totally failed. The politicians have tried many "plans" including State takeover and all have failed. The teacher's union is afraid of the charter schools. I guess more teacher's could be hired with the 535 million, but that would not attract more students. Parents, serious about education for their children, don't want them in the Public Schools. Those few that can afford it send them to private, others to charter, the rest, who don't even think about such things, let them go to Public. And when the 535 million is spent, then what? A poverty stricken State will then take up the burden? Not likely. Money infusions like this are mostly political payoffs that don't do much other than waste your tax contribution.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
sokinwet

Just how is the striper fishing ....in Detroit??
Old 03-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
Raven

over there

our stripers

are their Smallies
and they fight friggan hard for a fish that size

Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

All kids deserve a chance but these parents are not doing their kids any favors. Having worked in arguably a "city" school system for several years I agree the problem is much more the parents and culture than what teachers are doing or not doing.

I'm not a single mom so I can't speak for that but being the oldest of 4 with a single mom doing the lion's share of the work, I know clothes can be put on people's backs and kids gotten out the door on time IF some intestinal fortitude is involved. Yet a lot of single parents don't get that done. And these kids more often than not will be single parents continuing the same cycle. Kids having kids, that cycle needs to end. For a halfway smart person with some decent family support I still would not have been ready to be a parent in my late teens.

And add street "culture" to that, with the need to cultivate your Street Cred, you have a recipe for a school system educating kids that goes BEYOND broken.

The only "nationalization" I want to see is the government to nationalize those parents to make them responsible and responsible for their children.

Want to make those millions work? Tie the kids performance to the parents performance.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
Raven

maybe (just a thought)

the Buck should stop there at OBAMA as well

he could do an online video presentation
similar to a town meeting

but geared towards education instead....

he's loved enough and inspirational enough
for it to succeed...
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
EarnedStripes44

I heard the Walleye have returned to the Detroit River in good number.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

RRH, i already see some common sense approaches posted here.

We were promised change from the so called "intellectuals" who are now running the administration and i see nothing but the same old, same old throw money into the bottomless coffer.

While I'm no expert i have, substituted in the inner city after retirement, my son teaches special education and my brother, a retired Navy Captain teaches in the inner city, so i have a bit of a handle on it.

Aside from the parent problems, a lot of these kids are "crack babies" and have difficulty concentrating among all the other things and need one on one help.

Imho, what we need is the money spent on rebuilding the inner city.
Companies who have moved out could be given tax incentives to
move back in creating green areas around their headquarters to break up
the asphalt and a hope for kids that there is something more and at the same time
creating jobs.

All these companies have training departments that could offer
after school programs to qualified kids to show how a company
works. Would give them hope and maybe some inspiration.

The kids who are making it in the schools could be encouraged to be mentors
to the younger kids.

Local colleges could offer credited courses for their students to mentor
these kids as well. Having done mentoring myself, i know a lot of students
would continue the mentoring as they built up relationships with the kids.
Very rewarding.

Just a few ideas from a country bumpkin, imagine what the BHO "think tanks "
could do if they fulfilled their promises. Right now it's all about votes, not the kids.

You can never go back to the 50s, the morality, values and integrity of that era are gone forever and you, you can't say F em,
you need the fresh ideas we were promised.

But to throw $535 million into a system that can't account for $60 million from their last hand out is utterly ridiculous.
Not one ounce of thinking there.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
Raven

->

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post

Aside from the parent problems, a lot of these kids are "crack babies" and have difficulty concentrating among all the other things and need one on one help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CRACK Babies have a form of ADD that is called
"Racing Brain Syndrome" (RBS). A useful analogy for this mental condition is that of a centrifugal pump that is being over-driven. As the pump speed increases, cavitation sets in and the pump's output decreases. The faster the pump is driven the greater the cavitation until a point is reached where large amounts of energy are being input but nothing is being output. Without medication there is a sensation that thoughts flash through the brain too fast to "think" them.

they do need tutors but they also need a treatment program that works and it isn't Ritalin.... because that makes the condition even worse.

Do you know what the best treatment is? you'd be surprised.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Raven

Arrow all thoughts are pictures

words are NOT stored in our heads like copied text on a hard drive

when i say apple you see this in your brain first

you do not see this first APPLE

that comes after you mentally see the picture and is formulated by the brain as being associated with that picture

so kids whose Mothers were on Crack or cocaine or a mixture of both when pregnant
because they are all essentially derived from bathtub drugs

have children who cannot learn because of Attention deficit disorder because the pictures are traveling so fast they cannot focus on a single one...because they have already moved to the next one and so on and so on.