Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Funding Alcohol Recovery Programs????

So.....the additional tax on alcohol is used to fund recovery and rehab programs for alcoholics????? THEY have the problem and I have to pay for it???!!!! This is news to me until recently!! I hope that friggin' tax gets rolled back!!!! Why the Friggin' Hell should I/We have to pay an additional tax to fund the recovery of alcoholics???

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Raven

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table
At which he's fed.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for peanuts
Anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid.

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Airline surcharge tax
Airline Fuel Tax
Airport Maintenance Tax
Building Permit Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Death Tax

Dog License Tax
Driving Permit Tax
Environmental Tax (Fee)
Excise Taxes

Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment (UI)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax

Gasoline Tax (too much per litre)
Gross Receipts Tax
Health Tax
Hunting License Tax

Hydro Tax
Inheritance Tax
Interest Tax
Liquor Tax

Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Mortgage Tax

Personal Income Tax
Property Tax
Poverty Tax
Prescription Drug Tax

Provincial Income and sales tax
Real Estate Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Retail Sales Tax

Service ChargeT ax
School Tax
Telephone Federal Tax
Telephone Federal, Provincial and Local Surcharge Taxes

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Water Tax

Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax
--- and in 2010 the HST

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not!!!!
None of these taxes existed 60 years ago,
& our nation was one of the
most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt,
had a large middle class, and
Mom stayed home to raise the kids.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
So.....the additional tax on alcohol is used to fund recovery and rehab programs for alcoholics????? THEY have the problem and I have to pay for it???!!!! This is news to me until recently!! I hope that friggin' tax gets rolled back!!!! Why the Friggin' Hell should I/We have to pay an additional tax to fund the recovery of alcoholics???
Lottery funds for gambling rehab
Smoking tax for anti-smoking
Old 10-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
buckman

If that were the case I wouldn't mind it so much. That may be what they said when the tax got added but I bet they are building horse bridges with it.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Imagine if you had a say in this? Imagine if you could make a difference, send a message?

YOU CAN LARRY< YOU NEED TO VOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Good one, Rav.

Average person has no idea how much they pay in taxes,
and soon to be more as they recind the Bush tax cuts.

Meantime we are $13 Tillion in debt, meaning every man, woman
and child in this country owes $42,000 .

" Choose Life "
Old 10-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Raven

Dave,........... i'm gonna TAX you for that statement
Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Larry it's just a ploy to get more of your $$$.
Make people think it's a good cause so they can help the helpless.

They're not helpless, there is AA which is a proven program that costs
the taxpayer nothing.

Just like they passed gambling under the ploy that the taxes would
help the elderly and schools. What a joke.
Biggest thing it did was, and does, create a new disease of compulsive
gambling.

Ya, they and the bleeding hearts are both looking out for us and any way
to get and spend our $$.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
JohnnyD

Yes on Question 1!
Yes on Question 3!!

Higher taxes just provide politicians more money to waste. Remove the waste and they'll be able to maintain essential spending for things like education, law enforcement and the such; then subcontract the other jobs.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Yes on Question 1!
Yes on Question 3!!

Higher taxes just provide politicians more money to waste. Remove the waste and they'll be able to maintain essential spending for things like education, law enforcement and the such; then subcontract the other jobs.
I wish I could get a good source to understand the "real" impacts to question 3. The money must go somewhere and will have some impact if not received. The sources are so biased, I cant tell whats true. If someone has some good info, please post.
unlike most of the voters, I'd like to make an informed decision!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I wish I could get a good source to understand the "real" impacts to question 3. The money must go somewhere and will have some impact if not received. The sources are so biased, I cant tell whats true. If someone has some good info, please post.
My opinion on what will happen as opposed to what should happen:

Should:
-layoff some government workers
-create transparency for how all money is spent
-reduce unnecessary expenses
-reduce social services

Will:
-education cuts
-tax incentive cuts
-police and fire cuts

Instead of doing what is right and cutting money appropriately from unnecessary expenses, the politicians will attack areas of highest and most immediate impact on the average tax-paying voter.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Piscator

Red face

Quote:
One thing I do know though is that there are a lot (not all) of people in the public sector that get paid a lot of money that do not do work that justifies the pay/benifits. Believe me, I have a lot of close friends that are publicly employed and they tell me straight out. The Unions are stronger than the towns and state and they demand more, more, more and get it. This can't be sustainable unless we pay more in taxes. Paying more in taxes only enables this cycle, lets break the cycle and see how it shakes out.........

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
My opinion on what will happen as opposed to what should happen:

Should:
-layoff some government workers
-create transparency for how all money is spent
-reduce unnecessary expenses
-reduce social services

Will:
-education cuts
-tax incentive cuts
-police and fire cuts

Instead of doing what is right and cutting money appropriately from unnecessary expenses, the politicians will attack areas of highest and most immediate impact on the average tax-paying voter.
Some Quincy Patrolman make north of $135,000 a year with OT. Not saying the job isn't dangerous and it isn't deserved (maybe details aren't) but that is a good gig.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

you guys know I how I feel about taxes, but I need to understand the "real" impact. Despite the Barney Frank mailing I got this week telling me I have Barney to thank for the reduced class sizes - Uh Barney, my kids only in 3rd grade and the class sizes have increased A LOT in just the 3 years shes been in school! I dont want to impact schools. They are already going downhill. There should be a detailed breakdown of where the current sales tax dollars go, i want to see that.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
FishermanTim

Maybe if we really held politician accountable LEGALLY for their action, or inactions, they might think more about what they do.

Remember to remind them of what they PROMISED during their campaign, and tell them that they will be held responsible for following through with those promises.

But seriously, they will continue to tell you whatever they think you want to hear in order to get your vote, and then they will screw you to the wall and tell you it's for the best, because they need your money.
The founding fathers didn't put any language in the constitution regarding term limits, but then they didn't have our current roster of carreer hacks that really only care about themselves and what they can steal from the public. If this kind of activity took place back in the late 1700's, they would be killed, no questions asked!

Maybe it's time to revisit a piece of political history?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #16
buckman

Quote:
you guys know I how I feel about taxes, but I need to understand the "real" impact. Despite the Barney Frank mailing I got this week telling me I have Barney to thank for the reduced class sizes - Uh Barney, my kids only in 3rd grade and the class sizes have increased A LOT in just the 3 years shes been in school! I dont want to impact schools. They are already going downhill. There should be a detailed breakdown of where the current sales tax dollars go, i want to see that.
Jim, If you don't send a message it won't change. The pensions for those teachers as with all public jobs is unsustainable. Maybe if people get pissed while they increase class size while padding their own pockets heads will roll. Goverment keeps growing is the problem. Teacher unions are what drives the cost. Pull the plug on them. I don't want to sound like I'm picking on teachers. Every public sector job is too expensive in todays economy. Make them grow the economy and revenue will increase.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Jim, If you don't send a message it won't change. The pensions for those teachers as with all public jobs is unsustainable. Maybe if people get pissed while they increase class size while padding their own pockets heads will roll. Goverment keeps growing is the problem. Teacher unions are what drives the cost. Pull the plug on them. I don't want to sound like I'm picking on teachers. Every public sector job is too expensive in todays economy. Make them grow the economy and revenue will increase.
This is part of the problem and it is OK to pick on teachers when they act like this..........

Who is against library volunteers? Teachers unions in Raynham and Bridgewater. - - Budget Blues - Boston.com

Who is against library volunteers? Teachers unions in Raynham and Bridgewater.
E-mail | Link | Comments (165) Posted October 10, 2010 09:03 AM
By Christine Legere, Globe Correspondent

The teachers’ union in Bridgewater and Raynham is planning to file a labor grievance that could block volunteers from keeping the school district’s libraries open. And as word of the work action spreads, it is stirring up outrage in the two towns.

Librarian positions were cut from the middle schools in both towns this year and their salaries channeled into hiring teachers to address bulging class sizes. Volunteer organizations stepped in to pick up the slack — only to be surprised and disappointed by threats of a labor complaint.

Anita Newman, president of the Bridgewater Raynham Education Association, last week confirmed the union’s plan to file a grievance with school principals. All schools whose libraries are being kept open by volunteers would be part of the grievance, she said.

“You’re putting unqualified people into the library who are not certified,’’ Newman said, calling it the basis of the grievance. “We don’t want to ruffle feathers, but you’re responsible for the children. We don’t use volunteers for recess or lunch either.’’

School Superintendent Jacqueline Forbes said she intends to keep the vol unteers in the district’s libraries. “If there is a grievance or other issue, we’ll work through that.’’

According to the superintendent, volunteer help in the district’s school libraries isn’t something that just began this fall. They have been used in Bridgewater’s Williams Intermediate School library for several years, she said, and there hasn’t been a librarian in there to oversee them during that time. The elementary school libraries are overseen by proctors, under whom volunteers work.

“The volunteers check books in and out and shelve books,’’ Forbes said. “These tasks don’t require you to be certified.’’

Patricia Riley, president of Raynham’s volunteer group RAVE and a member of the regional school committee, said about 20 volunteers stepped up to work in the Raynham Middle School library after the librarian position was cut. But the volunteer effort ended on Oct. 5 — the same day it began — after volunteers were warned by a staff member that a grievance was being filed.

“I think we would all love to see our school libraries staffed with full-time librarians,’’ said a frustrated Riley. “Our volunteers were merely there to keep the libraries open for the students to use. They were not going to be replacing any librarians or school personnel who were not rehired. And they certainly weren’t going to be teaching library science.’’

Riley said library instruction is being handled this year as part of the language arts curriculum.

“We certainly didn’t see anything that would make volunteering in the library an issue,’’ she said. The volunteers would simply be shelving books and handling other tasks under the direction of a paid proctor assigned to the library.

Forbes said volunteers will be returning to Raynham’s middle school library and they will continue in school libraries where they are already working.

“Volunteers are now being trained at the Bridgewater Middle School and at Raynham Middle School,’’ she said.

Wendi LaCivita, president of the parent association at Bridgewater’s Mitchell school, said she hopes the union will review its rules about volunteer use in the schools.

“If we are stepping over the line, we’ll pull back,’’ LaCivita said. “But if it’s not stepping over the line, I would hope teachers would welcome us.’’

If the school principals deny the union’s grievance, it heads to Forbes. If Forbes can’t settle the issue with the union, the grievance will be turned over to the regional school committee, where there may be little sympathy for the union’s position.

“We felt the most important thing was to let the kids have access to the library,’’ said Susan Prewandowski, a regional school committee member and longtime school volunteer. She said parents had been upset this summer, believing the elimination of the librarian positions would mean the school libraries would close. When parents heard the libraries would be kept open to students, they calmed down.

Bridgewater and Raynham voters approved tax-limit overrides this year, from which the school district benefited. “I think when people find out about this library business, they are going to be very angry with the teachers,’’ Prewandowski said.

The two towns are expected to receive an estimated $1 million in federal stimulus money for schools, and the district will have two years to spend the funds. One school committee member wondered whether the teachers were putting on pressure to get the librarian positions reinstated. The union is also negotiating a new contract, since the old one expired in August.

Prewandowski said she doesn’t want to see the stimulus funds earmarked for any use at this point. “We have to apply for the money, so there’s no guarantee we’ll even get it,’’ she said. “And we’d like to save the bulk of it for next year’s budget.’’

School committee member Gordon Luciano, irate over the union’s announced grievance, said the action demonstrates “a continued pattern of this particular union leadership, refusing to work with the school district for the best interest of the children.

“I’ve been involved in town government for 18 years, as a selectman and school committee member,’’ Luciano said. “I’ve dealt with two former presidents of the teachers’ union. This is by far the most uncooperative and irresponsible leadership team I’ve seen.’’

Luciano said the union was putting its own interests above the interests of the students and communities. “At some point, I hope the membership will send a message to the leadership saying, ‘No more nonsense. It’s time to work with our towns.’ ’’

Newman did not return several calls seeking reaction to comments on the grievance.

Forbes said it is important that school volunteers continue to feel appreciated. “I, as superintendent, would never want to say no to volunteers. We want to make our volunteers feel welcome.’’

Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
buckman

FYI, We have sent the incumbents back to screw us at a rate of 100% in the last 5 elections here in Ma. What a bunch of a-holes we are. ( why does percent come out like that?)
Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Freedom of Information Act, just don't hold your breath waiting for
the answer.

While your at it, see how much of the Tobacco Tax is being used to fund
helping the smoker to stop smoking.

Ya gotta be deaf,dumb and blind to believe these new taxes
will all be used to help the helpless.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #20
FishermanTim

Alchohol tax to fund AA?
Just like fund all those Gamblers Anonymous flyers and pamphlets.
Exactly where are they distributed? Why at lottery vendors, casinos and racetracks!

It's all a scam to raise money for poltical "wet-dream" projects or payoffs.
Exactly how much of this tax money will actually go to the programs they "claim" to be funding? Well, after "administrative fees", and "project fees", and "this-n-that fees" there isn't much left to domuch of anything!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #21
Raven

Talking news flash

10 cents tax per post

retro-active to 2005
Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #22
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
We allready fund it by putting all the drunks on SSI along with the druggies.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 10-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #23
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Some Quincy Patrolman make north of $135,000 a year with OT. Not saying the job isn't dangerous and it isn't deserved (maybe details aren't) but that is a good gig.
You should take the test. $135,000.00 a year in Qunicy is probably middle of the road.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #24
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
One thing I do know though is that there are a lot (not all) of people in the public sector that get paid a lot of money that do not do work that justifies the pay/benifits. Believe me, I have a lot of close friends that are publicly employed and they tell me straight out. The Unions are stronger than the towns and state and they demand more, more, more and get it. This can't be sustainable unless we pay more in taxes. Paying more in taxes only enables this cycle, lets break the cycle and see how it shakes out.........
You know a cop in Quincy that tells you he is not worth the money. That I doubt.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #25
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Taxed twice allready on booze

Quote:
You have been getting taxedwice for alcohol for years and didn't even realize it. The alcohol that is served in restaurants is taxed by the state, and when the meals tax is added onto the bill the alcohol is included. Hence taxed twice. The alcohol is not supposed to be taxed in that fashion and more than likely what happens is that the restaurant owner pockets the extra. Nonetheless it is still taxing that you are being taxed twice on alcohol served in restaurants.

Last edited by Swimmer; 10-29-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #26
tysdad115

While I don't mind paying taxes to a point,the government waste is ludicrous. Does one schlep part time politician really need 14 assistants making over 60k a year ? I admit I may do better $$$ on paper than some, but real life living cost is ridiculous. With a young child it is difficult for the wife to work, one income is tough enough paying mortgage,food, etc...plus we pay thee jackasses travel and fuel expenses?

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #27
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
While I don't mind paying taxes to a point,the government waste is ludicrous. Does one schlep part time politician really need 14 assistants making over 60k a year ? I admit I may do better $$$ on paper than some, but real life living cost is ridiculous. With a young child it is difficult for the wife to work, one income is tough enough paying mortgage,food, etc...plus we pay thee jackasses travel and fuel expenses?
I second that. I'll bet half of the state employees, the appointed by politicians half, could be gotten rid of.

Last edited by Swimmer; 10-29-2010 at 04:30 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 10-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #28
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post

I could sure use a job as one of those assistants making 60 g's

where do I apply