Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-20-2016, 06:08 AM   #1
pbadad

Explosion proof fan

Does there exist an inexpensive and small explosion proof fan. Time to upgrade my present spray booth. OK for createx but looking to vent oil base primer and lacquer.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

sorry Billy, inexpensive and explosion proof don't really go together.

I wish I knew of something reasonable.

there may be some totally enclosed motors that you can take a chance on that would do the job.

I have seen risky stuff on jobsites with lacquer fumes being vented with a regular box fan and nothing happened but then again if it's your house, why take a chance

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
stripermaineiac

Just a little heads up. I checked with my insurance agent a couple yrs ago pertaining to a spray booth and my home and was told don't do it as it will void my house insurance if an explosion or fire occured so I do just about all of it outside. May be different down your way but I'd be very carefull. done right is expensive but worth it . A shed,shop,outbuilding or garage was the directions he told me to look. But do not skimp. The stuff is damn dangerous. They harped on that issue in my Fire Ground Engineering class way back when.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
pbadad

thanks both of you . i respect your professional opinions. Grizzly had a stand up portable @ 2K but discontinued it. too much for me just to paint fish bait!

Billy D.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I have seen risky stuff on jobsites with lacquer fumes being vented with a regular box fan and nothing happened but then again if it's your house, why take a chance
I've seen the bad side of that practice.Conversion varnish and a $20 Lasko box fan don't mix.The flash fire was incredible.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Nebe

A little physics but if you get a length of 6" or 12" pipe and put a "y" section on it, you could in theory use a non explosion proof blower to blast down the ""y" section, which would create a very serious suction at the upstream section of the straight section. Have the blower on a variable speed dimmer switch and you have saved yourself a lot of money
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
ecduzitgood
time to go

Couple of bilge fans maybe?
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
O.D. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
A little physics but if you get a length of 6" or 12" pipe and put a "y" section on it, you could in theory use a non explosion proof blower to blast down the ""y" section, which would create a very serious suction at the upstream section of the straight section. Have the blower on a variable speed dimmer switch and you have saved yourself a lot of money
Google Venturi Vacuum

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
Nebe

That's it.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
pbadad

I'll check out Google, thanks.

Billy D.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #11
O.D. Mike

Billy, I was working with a mechanical engineer a couple years back. He told me it was easy but it didn't turn out that way. I couldn't use PVC pipe with glued in fittings because of the air flow. The Venturi had to have smooth transitions from large to small dimensions. We were going to use a 3D printer to make the Venturi but it was to large for the printer we had access to.

I'm sure it can be done

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:05 AM   #12
pbadad

At the wood shop I work at, I keep looking at the dust collector motor assembly. The motor is on the outside and impeller in the venturi. Does this qualify as an explosion proof design? Why I ask is we are eventually going to install a new full shop cyclone and rid us of the 3 collectors we currently use. I may keep an old one for myself for a possible conversion if so.

Billy D.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #13
stripermaineiac

1 of the most important things with explosion proof is that the power source be outside of the contaminated air flow. The venturie set up must have the air flow away from the power set up. If the air is all coming from the same enviornment the more powerful suction will also draw contaminated fumes into the air being used to pull from the spraybooth as the secondary draw will be under less pressure. one of the best set ups I;ve seen was a body shop had the primary airflow pumped from outside with the pick up pulling from the spraybooth on the way by. No cross contamination. Just remember that static electricity is a huge problem with any air movement so you need to ground the system very well. Static is a problem with dust collection.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #14
pbadad

Thanks Ron. Static electricity is shocking. had that issue when I first hooked up w/plastic pipe until I grounded the system.

Billy D.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Just spray directly into the shopvac

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #16
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Just spray directly into the shopvac
A friend of mine witnessed someone use a shop vac to suck up 10 gallons of gasoline from the bilge of a sailboat. This did not end well ! booooooon !
Old 04-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...-vacuum-parts/

The booth fan at work is belt driven, the motor sits outside the exhaust plenum and spins a pulley centerline of the fan blades. Picture one of those kids pinwheel toys but with a rubber band pulley system making it spin
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:50 AM   #18
beamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Couple of bilge fans maybe?
For a small home booth that's not a bad idea at all. Just need to spend some money on a 12 or 24VDC power supply. Solves the explosion proof problem.

I will say this. Technically speaking. There was a 'recent' 2 years ago change in the classification and UL listing of explosion / hazardous location motors. New regs that made it more difficult to get a UL listing. I found this out while getting quotes to rewind a 2 speed 15/60HP 3phase motor. What this means is more $$$.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is online now   Reply With Quote