Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Vintage Lures

Vintage Lures At the request of many members, a new S-B forum for the discussion of Vintage Lures

Old 04-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Clammer

Question GGO GOO EYES PLUG >,

Did Johnny Habs ever make a knockoff of the original plug that Charlie Cinto caught the 73 # on .
I remember he had a booth at the RISSA show over ten years ago & he had Charlie signing them [yep & I bought one }..........Just wondering if they were his or the one Gibbs made way after the original . It has zero indentify on the plate >,.

Thanks ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
Nebe

Yes he did.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Clammer

Thanks Eb , I did a search on google this morning & there was a link to a article Charlie soars did for OTW ....... which also stated that Gibbs ended up taking the rights to the plug over & photos of it in a package signed by Charlie .it was marketed ..GOO GOO EYE & that he was at a RISSA show selling them [ALSO] ??

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Habs made his version of the Goo Goo and had Cinto at his booth at least the one year, maybe more.

A few years later Gibbs picked up the design and sold it as the Gibbs Goo Goo Eyes. You could buy them in two sizes. I believe they also sold some with Cinto's signature on them. I am 99.9% sure they no longer make them, though.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Clammer

I guess I did ok then when I bought it from Habs for $20 & also I ok when we were riding around the beaches yesterday & stopped at a nice antique stop & found a small box with some mixed stuff in it tucked in a corner .
I waited a while & then asked the owner what he wanted for the two wooden yellow plugs . he said lets go see . he said how about $15 for box . SOLD ,just the sinkers must be worth $5

now except for the snelled hooks & the sinkers, all the rest are going on the wall on lost /found/ & broken . I might start selling them on e-bay / my kids are already bitching about cleaning this mess up when I,m gone ................ But are still real happy I got rid of all the toys in the basement rec room
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5222.JPG
Views:	1247
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	65103   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5223.JPG
Views:	1182
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	65104  

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 04-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Nice score!

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote