Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Angry Dads ... This Will Make Your Blood Boil

John Foreman would be better off shutting up and quietly renting a wood-chipper.

Quote:
Potential release sparks outrage | Courts | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Potential release sparks outrage

01:00 AM EST on Tuesday, March 8, 2011

By Tom Mooney

Journal Staff Writer

A day after The Providence Sunday Journal reported the scheduled early release of child-slayer Michael Woodmansee, hundreds of outraged readers called the offices of the state attorney general and Corrections Department on Monday demanding that the killer who shellacked the little boy’s bones remain behind bars.

Meanwhile, as John Foreman, the father of 5-year-old Jason Foreman, reiterated his intention to seek revenge –– telling a radio audience that if given a chance he would kill the “monster” who “ate the flesh of my son” –– Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin urged corrections officials to “consider all avenues” to keep Woodmansee confined.

The one avenue corrections officials are considering is having Woodmansee involuntarily committed to a secure psychiatric facility before his August release — if psychiatrists deem him mentally ill.

Only once before have corrections officials attempted to keep a potentially dangerous inmate confined after his release date: in 2006, the department started down the road to involuntarily commit serial rapist Todd McElroy.

But before a District Court judge could make a final decision, McElroy voluntarily committed himself.

Woodmansee, who served virtually all of the last 28 years in prisons in Massachusetts for his own protection, returned to Rhode Island last week.

“We made the decision to bring him back well in advance of the end of his term of incarceration because we wanted to fully explore what the options would be after his sentence ended,” said Corrections Director A.T. Wall. “The law allows in a certain narrow category, commitment for mental-health reasons.”

In 1975, Woodmansee, then 16, stabbed to death 5-year-old Jason Foreman who lived on the same Peace Dale village street in South Kingstown.

Authorities found the boy’s shellacked bones and skull in Woodmansee’s bedroom seven years later after Woodmansee tried to strangle the local paper boy and ended up confessing to killing Jason.

But in 1983, as part of a plea-bargain arrangement, he pleaded guilty to second-degree murder. A judge ordered him to serve 40 years of a 50-year sentence.

(As part of the plea arrangement, Woodmansee also received 10 years for assaulting the second boy. That term ran concurrently with the longer sentence.)

Because of a long-standing “good time” law, Woodmansee is coming up for release 12 years sooner than many people might have expected –– or seem willing to accept.

Under the earned good time law that Wall says has been on the books since 1960, Woodmansee regularly had 12 days a month subtracted from his sentence: 10 days for good behavior and 2 days for holding a prison job.

The rumor that Woodmansee had cannibalized Jason Foreman’s body has haunted South Kingstown ever since Woodmansee confessed to the killing that April day in 1982.

Patrick Strickland was a young new officer of the South Kingstown police force when he interrogated Woodmansee and helped gain his confession.

Strickland and former prosecutor Susan E. McGuirl, now a Superior Court judge, said last week that they doubted if Woodmansee ever admitted to police he had cannibalized the body, or that the detail was ever included in police reports.

The atrocity, however, is referenced in a form of journal Woodmansee wrote and which the police found when they searched his house. Woodmansee told the police the journal’s contents were fictional.

However, the detail was so explosive that Superior Court Judge Thomas H. Needham sealed all evidence in the case, including the journal, which has remained under lock and key with South Kingstown Police Chief Vincent Vespia.

Monday morning Vespia was on WPRO radio with John DePetro, speaking about the case, when John Foreman called in and told Vespia he should have the journal.

“I want to know all the facts,” Foreman said, explaining he wanted to kill Woodmansee in the same manner used to kill his son.

“If I can find him … I do intend to kill this man as aggressively, as painfully as he killed my son,” said John Foreman. “He ate the flesh of my son … before he cleaned the bones.”

Woodmansee was found competent to stand trial in 1982.

The civil-commitment law allows a petition for commitment to be filed in a state District Court by someone’s relatives or a variety of state officials, including the attorney general or the director of corrections.

The petitioner must show that someone’s “continued unsupervised presence in the community would create a likelihood of serious harm by reason of mental disability.”

As part of the process, two physicians must evaluate the inmate in an effort to meet the law’s standard of proof.

Wall said Woodmansee has only been in Rhode Island for a week and prison officials are still awaiting records from prisons in Massachusetts.

“We’ve just begun the process of assessing him and conducting psychiatric evaluations,” said Wall.

tmooney@projo.com

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
If they can not keep this guy confined for the rest of his life no chance of freedom (due to stupid court/legal rules) then he should be forced to wear a GPS tracker 24/7 AND the devices shown in the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	45226  

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
InTheHole

I am at a loss for words

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
ecduzitgood
time to go

He should be dead
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Nebe

Nom
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
he should be forced to wear a GPS tracker 24/7
Don't forget to make sure the Kids Dad gets the tracking info too......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Raven

we the people shouldn't have had to pay for 28 years of "HIS" incarceration

Last edited by Raven; 03-08-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
spence

You have to wonder, after committing a crime so horrific and seemingly random, how anyone could doubt he has mental health issues.

Thoughts go out to the family that's had to live with this for so long.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
HugeDinghy

I really hope it doesnt come to that poor father getting locked up over all this....
HugeDinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeDinghy View Post
I really hope it doesnt come to that poor father getting locked up over all this....
Me too, if I was at a different point in my life I would fall on the sword for him and take care of business; but there are still some people who need me around so I can't be the hero.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
If someone had done such a thing to my child......you would have to kill me to keep me from killing such a POS! I wish the father luck and success in his quest! Such a POS should never be loose on the street....ever!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
HugeDinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Me too, if I was at a different point in my life I would fall on the sword for him and take care of business; but there are still some people who need me around so I can't be the hero.
I cant see the DOC not finding a way to keep him in jail (fingers crossed).....
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
FishermanTim

If he is successful, then he should pull the "temporary insanity" plea, stating that the state had caused his mental breakdown by releasing this POS early.

Otherwise, he could keep ranting and drawing attention to himself, so that he is constantly under surveilance, and then contract out the job to someone else. That way he can't be accused if he was constantly being watched/followed?

Just another example of the courts imparting more rights to the guilty and taking away all rights of the victims and their surviving families.
Frankly, I wouldn't lose any sleep if this monster just dissapeared off the face of the earth!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
Nebe

The formans own a small business in wakefield and are pretty cool people. Every holiday Mrs Foreman sets up some crazy azzed decorations on the front of her house, porch and fence.. with mannequins. its cool, yet creepy at the same time.
The dad likes to fish and one holiday she hung all of his plugs along the fence- i could not help but notice the old style Hab's needles hanging along the fence- the ones that were made with the old school google doll eyes. Such a tragic event to have happen to a family.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Mrs. Foreman passed away ... cancer.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
HugeDinghy

never been called for jury duty, but if this father gets at the guy...please god put me on that jury...
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Fishoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
If someone had done such a thing to my child......you would have to kill me to keep me from killing such a POS! I wish the father luck and success in his quest! Such a POS should never be loose on the street....ever!
you and me both..
Fishoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The formans own a small business in wakefield and are pretty cool people. Every holiday Mrs Foreman sets up some crazy azzed decorations on the front of her house, porch and fence.. with mannequins. its cool, yet creepy at the same time.
The dad likes to fish and one holiday she hung all of his plugs along the fence- i could not help but notice the old style Hab's needles hanging along the fence- the ones that were made with the old school google doll eyes. Such a tragic event to have happen to a family.
They are right around the corner from me. never made the connection

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
They are right around the corner from me. never made the connection
yup.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpoopoo View Post
Mrs. Foreman passed away ... cancer.
within the last 3 years? if so that explains the lack of them..
Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
SurfCaster413

Not a jury in the world that would convict the father if he kills him.
SurfCaster413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfCaster413 View Post
Not a jury in the world that would convict the father if he kills him.
For premeditated murder? Sure they would, unless he went the insanity route.

-spence
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
For premeditated murder? Sure they would, unless he went the insanity route.

-spence
jury nullification has done some interesting things to the far less deserving.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #24
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I am quite sure the father, should he eliminate this POS from the living, does not care about what defense approach they should or could take with him....he just...wants......the guy......DEAD!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #25
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

The pain the man has is enormous. The diary should have been made public at trial or shortly thereafter, so Mr. Foreman could have dealt with this.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I wouldn't care what the out come was, I would boil that POS until his skin peeled off and died due to the pain he was in

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpoopoo View Post
jury nullification has done some interesting things to the far less deserving.
I don't think Jury Nullification is an appropriate reference here.

-spence
Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #28
HugeDinghy

even the time off for "good behavior" aside, he was gonna get out at some point, what was the effing prosecutor thinking?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #29
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Hundreds Protest Release Of 'Cannibal' Child Killer - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #30
Karl F

I would think the term.. Justifiable Homicide...would apply.. if the father went that route..
at least it would work for me....
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote