Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
srt44116

Pushing, Wakeing tuna

So i have been out the past couple days and seen hundreds of tuna. We went 0-3 on friday. ( dont wana talk about it, lets just say im 1 less gaff. LOL) There feeding habits have been very diffrent from what i normally see. They have been Pushing or Waking out in schools that are clearly visible from miles away. We took over 100 casts at fish and only came tight a few times. ( i know a few times is alot better than none) My question is what can you do, or have you found works casting to these pushing tuna?

All input is welcome. Were going out again today to try some new stuff to try and get these fish to bite!!!

Mabe its this full moon
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Pulpit and harpoon
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
MakoMike

Usually when they are on top pushing water they are on very small baits, like rain bait. try going smaller with your offerings.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Goose

Yup, I experienced the same thing this past weekend. They where feeding but not aggressively. tuna where feeding all around clumps of floating weed, where small schools of bait where hangin. Pod's of tuna where football to 48"(guesstamating)

For about an hour I threw all I had at'um. Being that I'm green, Im not sure if its poor presentation or I need to down size. wish i had brought my striper gear.

Any consistency on certain lures when it comes to school BFT?
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Sea Dangles

RonZ
They catch tuna consistantly.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Goose

I threw the the 4X10 silver. I luved the way looked. I'll pick-up the smallers ronz's... 3x61/2, but i've heard the 3X hook won't hold a 100# BFT...what do you think?

Also, you get more for your money when you down size .60 a bait vs $2.50. It doesn't take many dogfish or any other toothy critter to go through'um. BFT on a budget aint EZ
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
RonZ
They catch tuna consistantly.

That must be a stellwagon thing because I have ***never*** caught a tuna on a ronz
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
srt44116

So we went out yesterday, WHAT A DAY!!! BUT still no tuna. So we had a large school mabe 1/2 acre wide of small to medium tuna all day under birds. The school never sounded for more than 5-10 min. I dont know what they where on but it must of been small as Krill. The tuna where FULL out Blitizing like a silly bluefish blits for a long time. I had hunderd odf shots right into school. I through the tackel box at them. ( alot of GEAR) not even a bump or a look.
They must be on something REALLLY small. I guy on our boat even through his fly rod at them in the middle of the full out blitz with nothing.

I Am IN awe that we didnt come tight. Last year i had a day like that when they where on bunker and came tight to 14 fish

Yeaderday 0
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Sea Dangles

4x10 is good, I like the head with a swinging hook. The tattoo sea pup is also a proven winner.The GotStripers bait rigged with only a hook also gets strikes. All relatively inexpensive in the tuna world.
Sandman, I have a friend who just won the 360tuna shootout for the second year in a row. He uses nothing but RonZ even in RI waters. People from down south can't believe tuna hit menhaden up here; regional faire I guess.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I threw the the 4X10 silver. I luved the way looked. I'll pick-up the smallers ronz's... 3x61/2, but i've heard the 3X hook won't hold a 100# BFT...what do you think?

Also, you get more for your money when you down size .60 a bait vs $2.50. It doesn't take many dogfish or any other toothy critter to go through'um. BFT on a budget aint EZ
4x10 is a legit hook; the other not so much once the fish hit triple digit weights. The GotStriper is a proven winner that swims the nuts and is cheap and durable. Throw sink jig. Repeat if necessary.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
JackK
Not Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
4x10 is good, I like the head with a swinging hook. The tattoo sea pup is also a proven winner.The GotStripers bait rigged with only a hook also gets strikes. All relatively inexpensive in the tuna world.
Sandman, I have a friend who just won the 360tuna shootout for the second year in a row. He uses nothing but RonZ even in RI waters. People from down south can't believe tuna hit menhaden up here; regional faire I guess.
I had a hookup on waking fish with a herring sea pup on Friday. Few boils on white 12" sluggos as well.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
Sea Dangles

Nice Kevin.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt44116 View Post
So we went out yesterday, WHAT A DAY!!! BUT still no tuna. So we had a large school mabe 1/2 acre wide of small to medium tuna all day under birds. The school never sounded for more than 5-10 min. I dont know what they where on but it must of been small as Krill. The tuna where FULL out Blitizing like a silly bluefish blits for a long time. I had hunderd of shots right into school. I through the tackel box at them. ( alot of GEAR) not even a bump or a look.

Yeaderday 0
We are bringing extra tackle boxes for tomorrow. I'd just love to see breaking tuna schools again like you describe even if they don't hook up.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote