Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 01-12-2021, 05:21 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Caddis Waders

Anybody try this brand? Over the last twenty years or so i've worn just about every different model llbean sells. Im not bashing them...but they all leaked after a while and i might be partly to blame for not following the care and maintenance instructions to a T. Last pair failed miserably...i know about the return policy but moving on. Just saw this brand and decided to give them a try......birthday present to myself.
I'm going back bootfoot this time..... i might regret it but tying and untying the seperate wading boots with my arthritic hands was a pain. This model has a relief zipper...... which is something I need.
I'll have to wait a few months to find out if I made a good choice.
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-d58y...117858.png?c=2

Last edited by Rmarsh; 01-12-2021 at 05:30 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
wdmso

Not sure about the brand
But a lot of boots now have a stainless wire ratchet system instead of laces
Just twist a knob

Not sure how they handle salt and sand over time
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Not sure about the brand
But a lot of boots now have a stainless wire ratchet system instead of laces
Just twist a knob

Not sure how they handle salt and sand over time
Thanks Wayne
I did try a pair with the boa closure system like you described.....clogged up with sand and stopped working after a month or so. I'll try the boot foot again and see how it goes
Old 01-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Linesider82

I too use bean boot foots. If the stockings are too tight in the boots you will see a leak in the stocking foot much sooner than normal wear and tear.

Wash them! All breathable waders are supposed to have air entrapment. Salt! Is probably the worst of this problem. Rinse them off after use and sometimes the problem goes away. Don't wipe off fish slime or eel slime on the waders, it's so tempting to do. But it usually causes an entry point for water to find it's way in.

I use a wetsuiting soap/conditioner to clean my waders and I've gotten about 4 years out of them with intermittent leaks and after a clean no leaks.

Unless there is a big tear / hole the worst thing to do is to treat it with some kind of sealant.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #5
Guppy
User

My second pair of beans over 6? Yrs leaks beyond use....
I’ve tried on and returned 4 different stocking foot recently and ended up with Simms
https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/me...ockingfoot-s19

The foot is actually shaped like a foot! Who’d da thunk it!
Paired with the lowest cost Korker..... happy feet :-)

I’ve been riveting the eyes back on the Beans for years...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
saltfly

Had a pair of Caddis bootfoots for 3 years.They were ok as far as no leaks in the seams,crotch,and at the boot.I found the boots to be heavy when walking along the beach away from the vehicle and then trudging back.Running the beach and hopping in and out the fabric got alot of stress.When the leaks started it was the fabric letting moisture in.These were washed consistantly due to the salt water use.When they got me soaked deep wading that was it.I saved the boots and use them around the yard.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #7
Rmarsh

Oh well....mostly my fault I suppose....my fishing time comes after a long day at work.....getting home after fishing very late and back at the job for 7am.....waders at best get hung up to dry...sometimes.
Guppy I want to try the Simms someday.......i'm sure there will be another pair needed down the road. I dont have to hike far at all to get to my spot so I'm hoping to cope with the shortcomings of the bootfoot.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #8
redlite

Waders have always sucked starting with the old rubber ones I used to "borrow" from my dad when I was a teenager even though my feet were size 8 and he a 12.
I do very little wader fishing anymore, mostly the canal. Back in the backside hey days (late 90's early 2000's )I LOVED concept of the Orvis boot foot waders that had the integrated laces. Was best of both worlds of the snug comfortable stocking/ wading boot style but you didn't have the issue of sand getting inside boots. No matter how good of gravel guards, boots still got packed with sand. Concept of the orvis was great, but functionality/ design flaws on boots sucked. I think in 2001 I went through 32 pairs of them. Yes 32 pairs in one season. The boots would split from walking. I would get out of my truck and make the death March out to where u fish Bob and they would already be split They loved me at the orvis store at fanuiel hall.
I eventually moved onto beans simply because of the warranty but that has gone away and I moved to primarily wetsuit fishing. 2 yrs ago I moved onto sticking foot Simms. Pricey but they have lasted I did a lot of sand fishing with miles and miles of sand ponded in them last year and they weren't bad. The gravel guards on them do a pretty damn good job of keeping sand out of the boots. Only set back is wading boots and stockings PLASTErRd in sand when u take em off and your hands covered with sugar sand. PIA. But they sufficient.

All this being said I would recommend Simms. Make sure u try them on though as they are a slimmer more ergonomically designed wader so sizing is not accurate from what u are prob used to and I know new models coming are even more
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #9
redlite

Bob. Sent u pm
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

For what it's worth, I don't think I ever had a pair of waders that lasted more than 3 seasons without leaking.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:48 PM   #11
spence

My waders haven’t leaked in years
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #12
Redsoxticket

Remember the days when llbean sold both the Simms Headwater and Guide waders along with the no question return policy.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:34 AM   #13
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
My waders haven’t leaked in years

Spence... my waders get used about 3 times a week ...from may thru oct....lots of normal and abnormal wear and tear. When i'm trying to unhook fish from treble hooks in waist deep water... first thought is not to get a hook in my hand...second is dont let the fish and hooks near my waders.

Could that be you modeling the caddis in the link

Just Kidding
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-d58y...117858.png?c=2
Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
...I would get out of my truck and make the death March.....[/i][/size]

Funny how that death-march would double in length on a foggy night.

Last few times I used my waders, I think was during a snow storm...so I'm way out the loop in regards to new and upcoming,

When they were heavily used, they'd get hosed down 97% of the time, and then hung to dry...a habit I had to start early on and tried never to give up on, leaving that 3% for those nights that the fish wouldn't stop biting or started biting late, those were the nights that nothing got washed, ... End of the season, they'd get dunked in a 7 gal. warm-soapy bath-bucket, maybe a day or two. Try to get the stank out, and some soapy-scent in. Didn't really work on the waders, but in my head, it made sense, so I stuck with it. Similar to what linesider82 said, no scrubbing nor abrasives, only hose-strength water was used, and never on the seams...just a thorough flush.

Bob, if they don't leak straight outta the box, which happens sometimes....the best waders out there, are the ones that you treat with care and respect. It's the seams that got me most of the time...I had to reteach myself on climbing over and thru rocks, trying hard not to pull on the seams while stepping over and around things...of course all this goes out the window when you're getting pounded off your perch, then it's your safety first, waders last.

Those caddis look decent, but it may be because Spence is modeling them?? Good Luck ~

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #15
wdmso

Neoprene are the only way to fly , did the breathable ones once lasted as long for 3x the price now I use them in place of my rubber bib on the boat I just cut the feet out. Lite water proof.
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #16
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Neoprene are the only way to fly , did the breathable ones once lasted as long for 3x the price now I use them in place of my rubber bib on the boat I just cut the feet out. Lite water proof.
TonyO style

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote