Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Absolute insanity

There is so much garbage on tv and they wont play this????

ABC affiliates pulling 'Private Ryan'

Stations in 8 states will pre-empt broadcast of award-winning film due to concerns about indecency.
November 11, 2004: 12:21 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - ABC affiliates in at least eight states will not televise the network's broadcast of the World War II film "Saving Private Ryan" because they fear repercussions from U.S. regulators.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Angry

I just can't believe what they will and will not censor. Watched We Were Soldiers on TNT this weekend......the parts they cut out brought light to a horrible situation and were not really inappropriate. They chose to cut out one of the great lines, "Any you sons if b*tches calls me grandpa, I'll kill ya myself!" Yet would say Sh*t.

I was very disappointed with the censorship. When will the stations learn!

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

All this because Janet showed her boobie.

First the one glove and now this, when will the Jackson family stop ruining popular culture?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
spence

To be honest I don't think all the realities of war need to be on free TV during a time when many children are awake and likely flipping through the channels unsupervised.

Saving Private Ryan is a very realistic, and very violent movie. There's nothing wrong with a little common sense to help parents parent. I'm sure they could come up with an edited version that still had the same emotion without closeups of somebodies intestines spilling out on the sand, there's nothing stopping you from renting the DVD.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 11-11-2004 at 03:28 PM..
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Spence, first let me say I hate TV and never watch it. But, my wife is a big fan of the CSIs and other crime shows. I have, on numerouse occasions, seen decomposed and mutilated bodies on tv, all between 8-10pm. Prime time, free tv. I cannot beleive this is on the air.
SVP is a realistic movie, and it should be. The rah rah John Wayne movies do not show the realities of war. Kids NEED to see this.
Kids do not need to see rotting bodies on some cop show.
There is nothing in SVP that is not on CSI.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
spence

I've never seen CSI, but I can't believe for a second there is imagery as potentially disturbing or as intense as SPR.

It's ok for kids to just be kids. TV and movies in general are too violent anyway...why get them used to it any earlier than need be. Perhaps that's one of the problems in the Middle East. Kids grow up with real violence all around them. It's almost a habbit in some countries.

-spence
Old 11-11-2004, 03:38 PM   #7
Big Vern
Hooked

The most morally reprehensible TV station on the dial, MTV, is one of a handful of networks directed towards kids. It's okay for MTV to promote binge drinking and explicit casual sexual behavior in the middle of a Saturday, but ABC won't show an Oscar winning war movie for fear of fines? Very hypocritical.
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:40 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

They'll pre-empt Saving Private Ryan but have no problem showing The Batchelor complete w/ the Fantasy Room....Just what I want my daughter to learn....sleep w/ the guy if you want something. Same Time slot

We had a Naked Gay Guy rubbing is unit on a girl on Survivor and that is fine, same Time Slot.

We have Couples sleeping around and promoting infidelity on "Temptation Island", another fine message for kids, Same Time Slot!!!

If parents don't want there kids to watch it then don't let them. Don't just send them in the other room w/ the clicker and hope the networks will take care of the parenting duties.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally posted by spence
I've never seen CSI, but I can't believe for a second there is imagery as potentially disturbing or as intense as SPR.

It's ok for kids to just be kids. TV and movies in general are too violent anyway...why get them used to it any earlier than need be. Perhaps that's one of the problems in the Middle East. Kids grow up with real violence all around them. It's almost a habbit in some countries.

-spence

Spence, did you see the movie Seven? I have seen similar footage on CSI in which they are showing autopsies on decomposing bodies, rotting flesh and all.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:50 PM   #10
Big Vern
Hooked

Dad Fisherman...I implore you to watch MTV for an afternoon. You'll NEVER let your kids watch it again.
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:54 PM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Dad Fisherman...I implore you to watch MTV for an afternoon. You'll NEVER let your kids watch it again.
Oh I have....and they will not watch it.

I agree that there is WAY to much crap on TV.

Saving Private Ryan was the winner of Best Picture and they won't show that....but that other crap is OK???

Where are peoples priorities today?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:59 PM   #12
Nebe

wait a second...

RIJIMMY is complaining about sensorship and Spence is all for it.

who did you guys vote for/???
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Eb, I believe strongly in the arts and free speech and politically I side with the Dems most of those issues. Im not a repub.

Here is the statement from one of the channels. ABC already aired this movie 2 times, uncut. This is purely because of the FCC and the Jackson stunt, they even say so!

BOSTON -- It is with great regret that we at Channel 5 have decided not to air the film, "Saving Private Ryan," at a time when children could be watching. We consider the multiple Oscar-winning film to be no less than a work of art with significant social and historical import. In another time we would have been proud to air such a fitting tribute -- today of all days -- on Veterans Day saluting brave soldiers, past and present, who have defended our nation and its freedoms.

However, "Saving Private Ryan" does contain frequent instances of profane language and long scenes depicting the violence and horror of war. The motion picture industry has recommended that only mature audiences watch this film. We aired the film uncut in 2001 and 2002 with appropriate viewer warnings, in the belief that in the context of an important broadcast event, it was the right thing to do.

However, recent decisions by the Federal Communications Commission -- post-Janet Jackson and Bono -- have established new legal standards for what we may and may not broadcast prior to 10 p.m.

We asked the ABC Network to allow us to air the film at 10 p.m., established as a "safe harbor" for programming by the FCC. To our disappointment, ABC has denied our request, leaving us with the difficult decision to pull the film entirely.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:06 PM   #14
Skip N

They should SPR twice on TV unedited in 2001 and 2002 i believe....we call thank that tramp Janet Jackson for all this now Its ok for the kids to watch MTV though with all that chit on there??
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:42 PM   #15
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

Saving Private Ryan is pretty graphic.

If the setting were fictional then maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal.

When the movie came out on the big screen there were WWII/Normandy vets in the audience who were so traumatized by the movie they were in tears and had to leave the theater - the depicted violence was so realistic.

Above and beyond this, we can thank Janet Jackson's boobie flashing for the gunshy stations.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:07 PM   #16
Backbeach Jake

I think that a supervised viewing of Saving Private Ryan could be a good thing. The children would see that the death, maiming , suffering and pain is not an abstract concept as they are taught with those freakin' video games. Once they see what a hellish thing war is, then maybe, just maybe we can avoid situations like we're in ,in Iraq right now. Maybe they'd grow up realizing what a huge sacrifice a life is and price it accordingly. God Bless Our Vets.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:57 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Originally posted by RIJIMMY
Spence, did you see the movie Seven? I have seen similar footage on CSI in which they are showing autopsies on decomposing bodies, rotting flesh and all.
Yes, I've seen Seven...great movie.

It's not just the imagery, but the overall intensity that's too much for kids. There are scenes in SPR that are extremely intense...Speilberg did an amazing job of recreating what war must really feel like on screen.

I don't want my kids knowing what war is like...not yet at least. Older kids maybe, but not younger ones.

As for MTV and the reality shows. I think they should all be removed from TV and Cable. I'm sure some have a bit of entertainment but for the large part they are mindless containers for advertising. MTV should simply be shut off...it's that bad.

I was more than happy to see Stern get booted. Probably the only thing this administration did that I agree with.

I'm not for censorship, not in the least. But I am for responsibility and providing a good environment to raise kids. Parenting is made much more difficult when you can't let your kids watch public TV or listen to the radio. They have freakin bleeped out swear words all over TLC and HGTV for christmas sake. It's gone too far...

-spence
Old 11-11-2004, 07:07 PM   #18
Navy Chief
Reagan Republican

I think if the network puts a warning up, they should be able to show it.

If you are a good parent, you will either supervise your kids or choose not to let your kids watch this movie. I agree that young kids should probably not view SPR. Older kids should, especially as a teaching point.

The point is you have to be a good parent.

"I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink." - ADM William "Bull" Halsey
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 PM   #19
spence

Agreed that parents should be aware, but too me it's the networks pushing things on purpose. Like it or not there are probably hundreds of thousands of young kids watching TV unsupervised tonight. That's why the FCC was given legal authority to patroll the airwaves in the first place.

And Chief, THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE

-spence
Old 11-11-2004, 07:55 PM   #20
Nebe

We need to see more boobs on tv, and we need to legalize it
Old 11-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #21
cheferson

Eben
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:00 PM   #22
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by cheferson
Eben
Thats right, this will sove all the problems of the universe.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:28 PM   #23
Backbeach Jake

There are nothing BUT boobs on TV! Just watch.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #24
bud8fan

Lightbulb

Ok I know that alot of you arent NASCAR fans but to add another thing to the censorship subject and what is fowl language and what is not!

We have a points race going on in the Nextel cup and from 1st to 4th is 48 pts with 2 races left.

Earnhardt Jr is 47 pts out of first and was issued a 25 pt penalty a few weeks ago!

Why? Because he said the word SH*T on air during his celebration after a victory???????????????????????????????/

What is this world coming to? Compare the above to this:

While I enjoy the following shows as an adult....................
The Shield, Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me.
All of these have had scenes that would get NC 17 ratings in the movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure you all know what I am talking about!!!!!

Russ
bud8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #25
spence

Bud8, you should try out F-1...swearing is fine in Europe and South America
Old 11-11-2004, 10:04 PM   #26
bud8fan

Quote:
Originally posted by spence
Bud8, you should try out F-1...swearing is fine in Europe and South America

Careful.....................or it will cost ya!
bud8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:47 AM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally posted by Backbeach Jake
There are nothing BUT boobs on TV! Just watch.

Especially all those political adds!!!!!!