Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-07-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Cheney says if you vote for Kerry, the terrorists will strike

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...cs/9601875.htm

Cheney Warns Against Vote for Kerry

AMY LORENTZEN

Associated Press

DES MOINES, Iowa - Vice President #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney on Tuesday warned Americans about voting for Democratic Sen. John Kerry, saying that if the nation makes the wrong choice on Election Day it faces the threat of another terrorist attack.

The Kerry-Edwards campaign immediately rejected those comments as "scare tactics" that crossed the line.

"It's absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on Nov. 2, we make the right choice, because if we make the wrong choice then the danger is that we'll get hit again and we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States," Cheney told about 350 supporters at a town-hall meeting in this Iowa city.

If Kerry were elected, Cheney said the nation risks falling back into a "pre-9/11 mind-set" that terrorist attacks are criminal acts that require a reactive approach. Instead, he said Bush's offensive approach works to root out terrorists where they plan and train, and pressure countries that harbor terrorists.

Cheney pointed to Afghanistan as a success story in pursuing terrorists although the Sept. 11 mastermind, Osama bin Laden, remains at large. In Iraq, the vice president said, the United States has taken out a leader who used weapons of mass destruction against his own people and harbored other terrorists.

"Saddam Hussein today is in jail, which is exactly where he belongs," Cheney said.

Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards issued a statement, saying, "#^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney's scare tactics crossed the line today, showing once again that he and George Bush will do anything and say anything to save their jobs. Protecting America from vicious terrorists is not a Democratic or Republican issue and #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney and George Bush should know that."

Edwards added that he and Kerry "will keep American safe, and we will not divide the American people to do it."

The candidates are campaigning hard for Iowa's seven electoral votes. Democrat Al Gore narrowly won the state in 2000. Bush has campaigned in the state five times in the last month, and Cheney has made three stops.

Hours before Cheney spoke, the Congressional Budget Office said this year's federal deficit will hit a record $422 billion. Cheney, in praising Bush's tax cuts, noted that the CBO said this year's projected deficit will be smaller than analysts had expected.

This guy is vice president, informed voters see this crap, and still want to vote for him?

He's been smoking way too much crack with Zell apparently.

Whats next?
If you vote for Kerry you're gonna get shipped to Guantanamo Bay as a terrorist supporter?

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
spence

Vote for Bush - or You'll DIE
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
Nebe

Like I said Likwid... they want you to be scared out of your mind so you'll vote for them...
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
green meanie

Re: Cheney says if you vote for Kerry, the terrorists will strike

shouldn't this say smoking too much POT with clinton?

Quote:
Originally posted by likwid
[url]He's been smoking way too much crack with Zell apparently.

green meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
slapshot

I don't think that John Kerry, with the help of the French, will do a very good job of protecting America from terrorist attacks.

The last democrat President did nothing when the WTC was bombed the first time, or when the U.S.S. Cole was attacked.

While some of the domestic policy issues appear to be lacking, I feel that balanced budget, gay marraige and a few other points will mean next to nothing if Ali Babba and the 40 Thieves blow us all up.
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally posted by slapshot
While some of the domestic policy issues appear to be lacking, I feel that balanced budget, gay marraige and a few other points will mean next to nothing if Ali Babba and the 40 Thieves blow us all up.
Go build yourself a bomb shelter, and while you're at it, make sure its airtight.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
Nebe

Re: Re: Cheney says if you vote for Kerry, the terrorists will strike

Quote:
Originally posted by green meanie
shouldn't this say smoking too much POT with clinton?
dont forget, 'W' had a nasty coke habit in college and got a DUI up in maine, so he's no angle either.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:23 PM   #8
slapshot

Quote:
Originally posted by likwid
Go build yourself a bomb shelter, and while you're at it, make sure its airtight.
Or maybe, I could burry my head in the sand too.
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:24 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Not voting for any of them....they all suck anyway!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
The last democrat President did nothing when the WTC was bombed the first time, or when the U.S.S. Cole was attacked.
Yea, because 9/11 was only a wake up call for the Republicans right?

Old 09-08-2004, 11:17 AM   #11
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Re: Re: Re: Cheney says if you vote for Kerry, the terrorists will strike

Quote:
Originally posted by Eben
dont forget, 'W' had a nasty coke habit in college and got a DUI up in maine, so he's no angle either.
true, but who didn't?

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

What he said was: It's absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on Nov. 2, we make the right choice, because if we make the wrong choice then the danger is that we'll get hit again and we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States," Cheney told about 350 supporters at a town-hall meeting in this Iowa city.

He said the "danger is".
I believe its obvious that the steps taken by the next Pres. will impact whether there is another successful terrrorist attack on US turf.
I think you all would agree, I think you (and the press) are turning this into: Vote for Bush or else. Which is not what was said.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #13
spence

RIJIMMY, there is no mistaking what Cheney said.

Vote for me, or you will DIE

I don't see how this could be interpteted any other way.

-spence
Old 09-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I got news for you all.....we are all going to die! Nobody is getting out of here alive! Its just a shame that anyone in this day in age has to die because of some stupid politicians poor judgement!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:56 AM   #15
Jigman

Quote:
...The last democrat President did nothing when the WTC was bombed the first time, or when the U.S.S. Cole was attacked...
I seem to remember a marine barricks in Lebanon getting bombed a few years back (200+ marines died) and no response. Wasn't that a repub in office then (Reagan for those who are not sure). Believe there have been a few others in other administrations too. 9/11 was the first major one on US soil. Any president in office at that time would have gone into Afganistan.

Balanced budget? Didn't W start with a budget surplus. How many trillion deficit do we have now?

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:05 PM   #16
Flaptail

Angry

The part I still don't understand is if Osama and his posse are the reasons for the two WTC bombings and bombings in Africa, Bali, the Cole etc., and are "the" major terror threat to our freedom Why did Bush go and send us to war against Iraq? 2.5 Billion is a lot of cake and the poor troops fighting and dying there ( now over 1000 since the war "ended"). Seems to me we (he) should have made vaporizing Osama and his gang the first top priority then deal with a despotic maniac like Saddam. The terrorists arte still active because we turned our assets and young american lives elsewhere. I find it hard to believe that Kerry or anybody for that matter would turn away from the Al-Qaida problem although W did. Tommy Franks the american general who headed up the war (when it was officially on) says that Bush and Cheney and that war mungor Rumsfeld took away practically all the Afghan campaign assets ( when we were actually getting close to the Big O) and turned thier attention to Iraq. Gotta bring a smile to 'ol Osama's face when he thinks about it don't you think?

Then there are W's economics policies. That rebate you got for 600 bucks last year was just a front from the feds on the next years tax return ( if you were lucky enough to get one if not guess what you owed them the 600 bills back) Publicity stunt. The oil companies reported a 32% increase over last years profits. Now if you know a little about accounting practises of large corporations you know that the percentage was larger but that the bean counters just could not hide anymore so the fess up to 32%. Oh yeah, 32% was the largest increase in the last few years. Amazing coincidence that your gas at the pump was so high during the same period isn't it?

Then there are W's free trade/global economy strategies. For example I bet all of you out there at one time or another have owned a pair of Levi's Jeans ( unless you are a complete preppy).
W's policy has enabled Levi's ( a very old american company) to close all it's remaining US and Canadian plants ( I wasn't wild about the Canada thing but hey, someday they will be part of the good 'ol USA so I let it slide) In early 2004 Levi's announced that they were closing the last two plants in the US and moving them and the jobs to latin America and Asia. 3300 people lost thier jobs
3300 loyal american citizens. And to top it off the board of Levi's, in recognition of his hard work, gave the CEO of the company a 22 million dollar bonus ( one year's bonus). Talk about F&*^%$ up. I agree with Kerry on that part.

It's too bad that all we have to choose from is these two jamokes. There are people out there who could and should be president but you need to be wealthy, have a spotless record and be immune to the horsepucky that is gonna be brought down on you. Cheney is using plain old scare tactics and that is a real shame. W's a puppet on a string and people like Cheney, Rumsfeld and Ashcroft are pulling his strings. It's time W let Daddy's war go. We cannot win in a country that doesn't want us there. Saddam is done so let's hit the road. It reminds me of Vietnam in some ways. It's peace with honor time. In the near future once we get out of there and get back to the hunt for Osama you will be able to go to your local Old Navy store and buy shirts and pants and sandals that say "Made In Iraq" just like right now they say "Made In Vietnam", guess that's what my brother John died for on March 11th, 1969.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

We cannot go into the hearts and minds of terrorists and change their mind. If they interpret their religious laws in an extremist fashion they are absolutely correct in saying America is a threat to their way of life.
The war in Iraq is one of the attempts to eliminate a base of operations. Name one country that would now say, "we are providing a safe harbor to Bin-laden". None will. Hussein repeatedly went against the UN, funded terrorism in Israel and had a history of attacking innocent people. Remember in the Gulf war when he randomly shot SCUDS at Israel? If the operation in Iraq is successful, that’s one less place to harbor and fund terrorists. Bin Laden is on the run, we are working closely with Pakistan and Afghanistan to keep them on the run. Iraq had nothing to do with Bin-laden, but Hussein promoted terrorism and if given the opportunity would have done all he could to help Al-Queda hurt the US.
If you have a better solution, please share. Please provide Kerry's solution. I have never heard it. I know Bush's plan and I agree.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #18
Flaptail

You my friend have been "Bushwhacked". Scuds were crude attempts at old soviet missile technologies. Evidence of funding and supporting terrorism? Missed that, just like the wmd's that Saddam had according to George and his "intelligence people". The only people saddam ever terrorized were his own subjects not that that is condoneable. The US government has even made it known that there was no reliable link to Saddam and Osama. Maniacal Despots ( like Hitler and Stalin etc.) never share anything they want it all for themselves and want no favors to be owed by them. The Israelis need to look in the mirror at thier own practices. Most people forget that before it was named Israel it was known as Palestine then the U.N. who got handed the problem just picked out a spot on the map near where they wanted them to be and sent all of them there . Granted everyone should have a homeland but I guess they thought those dumb assed peasent sheep herder Plaestinians wouldn't even notice. Wrong. Just last week "our friends" the Israelis got caught spying on us again. Nice real nice. Base of Operations before the war started ? I am sure Al-Qaida made overtones to Saddam but again, as I said before, according to your man Bush's people, Saddam rejected them. Now it's a different story though what with Iraq so f*&^%$ up all kinds of terrorists are moving in. You know, like the dudes that blew up seven good marines the other day and blow up someone else on an almost daily basis. It that vane I agrre totally, it is a terrorist base now and W and his guys, cause they didn't think about it created it. Ever been pulled out of your 8th grade math class, driven home with no idea why until a Marine Corps. notification team came to your door and tell you and your parents that thier son and your brother has been killed for what turned out to be an invalid reason? I have. George hasn't. Yes the troops are doping thier duty and do it everyday magnificently and give up thier lives doing it and in a real crises, like the real war on terrorism, it is justified but still hard to take.
Wrapped in the flag for the glory it represents is honorable but wrapping in the flag for hidden agendas is tantamount to treason.
In the Marine Corps. in boot camp they tell you that blind faith will kill you. It's killing an awful lot of young americans right now for the wrong reasons. Kerry ain't no prize but he is the lesser of the two evils right now and I will vote for him as it is my right and patriotic duty to do so. No matter who you like you must get out and vote. It is too important and as a citizen it is your duty. No hard feelings I hope I just luv a good debate.

Why even try.........
Old 09-08-2004, 01:01 PM   #19
spence

Well said Flaptail

-spence
Old 09-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

"The only people saddam ever terrorized were his own subjects not that that is condoneable"

- Sadamm seized Iran's oil fields in the 80's, starting a war
- Sadaam invaded Kuwait, without justfication to seize oil
- Sadaam shot SCUD missles at Isreal in the 1st Gulf war. Isreal had nothing to do with it
- Sadaam put up funding of 25,000 dollars for each family of Palestine suicide bombers
- Sadaam randomly shot at US aircraft enforcing the UN teaty

I never heard any of this from Bush, I know it from following the news. If you dont know this , looks like you're "Dumbwacked"

Old 09-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally posted by RIJIMMY
- Sadamm seized Iran's oil fields in the 80's, starting a war
In which we backed Saddam!
Quote:
- Sadaam invaded Kuwait, without justfication to seize oil
In which we led a real coalition under UN Mandate to remove him
Quote:
- Sadaam shot SCUD missles at Isreal in the 1st Gulf war. Isreal had nothing to do with it
So? he was being invaded and just trying to stir the pot up. You will note that because the world was on our side it didn't work.
Quote:
- Sadaam put up funding of 25,000 dollars for each family of Palestine suicide bombers
I'm not sure how frequent this was, although I'm sure it did happen. Regardless, compared to the support from Syria and Iran it's a drop in the bucket.
Quote:
- Sadaam randomly shot at US aircraft enforcing the UN teaty
And he couldn't even manage to shoot one down. Again this is trivial.

We were sold this war on WMD and links to al Qaida which were massive distortions. You've been BUSHWACKED

-spence
Old 09-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Maybe you were sold Spence, but not me, look back on the numnerous posts I have out here over the last several weeks and I NEVER mentioned WMD.

Spence, not sure how your responses above explain how Sadaam never terrorized anyone but his own people, looks like he was trouble to me. I guess Flap it was okay when hitler was terrrizing his own Jews, guess its only became a problem for us when he invaded Poland.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:49 PM   #23
spence

RIJIMMY, everyone agrees Saddam was a bastard. The issue is how do you deal with him? The notion that this was something that couldn't wait another second was proved to be false. The entire world saw it, but Bush pressed ahead anyway.

That's the problem, and now we are paying the price in lives and taxpayer dollars.

-spence
Old 09-08-2004, 02:37 PM   #24
Navy Chief
Reagan Republican

Quote:
Originally posted by Jigman
I seem to remember a marine barricks in Lebanon getting bombed a few years back (200+ marines died) and no response. Wasn't that a repub in office then (Reagan for those who are not sure).
Jigman

You must have been in college, smoking too much when that happen.

I remember floating off the Lebanon coast, 500 yards behind the USS New Jersey while she was firing full broadsides of nine 16" guns and flattening half the city. I wonder if that looked like "no response" from shore?

Last edited by Navy Chief; 09-08-2004 at 02:44 PM..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink." - ADM William "Bull" Halsey
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:40 PM   #25
Flaptail

Jimmy, FDR, the Pope and just about everyone else looked away too and he only started killing them after he invaded Poland up until then he deported them and then and only then did he start killing "His Jews" commies, the homos, the gypsies, catholics, red heads, mentally challenged, physically challenged, artists, thinkers, teachers etc. Come on man you can't see the forest from the trees here. Spence is a genius! He has it nailed! We could have done something with Iraq after we got rid of Osama and his gang. I don't disagree that Saddam was a bad guy it's just that in the interest of national security he was way down on the ladder at the moment. And don't forget it was W's Dad who could have nixed this problem way back in 1991 when we were less than fifty miles from Bahgdad. Hey Daddy look at me I am a war President and I am gonna finsh what you started. Are you proud of me Daddy? W doesn't know what it's like to be under fire, Kerry at least does, W was a weekend jet jockey back in the States. He was freakin' Christmas help as far as the military is concerned! ( Cuttin' lines and turnin and burnin', what a rush snortin a line and going supersonic must have been!) I luv this stuff!

Why even try.........
Old 09-08-2004, 02:44 PM   #26
Flaptail

Thumbs up

Navy Chief, thank you for your service. ( I mean that sincerely).
I was on Race Point that night in a giant size wise Bluefish blitz we in the truck warming up in the wee hours of the morning when the news came over the radio. The New Jersey firing 16 inchers that must have been a sight!

Why even try.........
Old 09-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #27
Nebe

RIJIMMY from everything your saying, I'd bet a hab's needlefish that you are jewish. Now if you are, dont think i'm attacking you for your faith here...I hve nothing agianst the jewish faith... i'm just going to say that It is not our responsibility to protect israel from its neighbors... remember.. israel has an army. Is is mandatory that every jewish man serve in the army, so you can rest assured, they are ready to protect themselves and they do everyday... i beleive they have one of he best Intelegence networks in the world.
Yes saddam was a bastard. Yes saddam was a theat... ,but he was athreat to Isreal, not us. right now Iran and North korea are bigger threats and were totally ignoring them for re-election purposes, but it's those countries that pose the real thrat to our country... shoot, Bush is more of a threat to our country than saddam ever was.

Why not let Israel overthrow and rebuild Iraq?

flaptail... i couldnt have said that better

it would be interesting to see how much $$$ bush an cheeney have profited from the ear in iraq... i bet they made millions.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:50 PM   #28
chris L

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cheney says if you vote for Kerry, the terrorists will strike

Originally posted by Eben
dont forget, 'W' had a nasty coke habit in college and got a DUI up in maine, so he's no angel either.
Quote:
Originally posted by tlapinski
true, but who didn't?
I didnt !

never went to college to study
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:59 PM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Wahoo, finally all this quibling pays off !!!!!!!!!!!! A free Habs!!!!

Baptized at St Judes in Derby back in 69
Attended St. Mary's school in Derbt Ct from 2-8th grade
Attended Nore Dame HS in West HAven Ct.
Accepted at Fairfield U and Prov Coll but opted for a state school so I could party.
I was raised as catholic as they come!!!!!

Now, I'm probabaly an atheist or at least an agnostic.

My only reference to Jews was in response to Flap saying Sadaam only hurt his own people and use Hitler and the Jews as an example. ALso that Hussein chucked random missles at Isreal.
I can care less about Isreal although I do feel for the ampunt of terrorism they experince
Old 09-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #30
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Eben,
1. please tell me what UN resolutions Iran and N. Korea have broken?
2. Please tell me how many they have repeatdly broken?
3. Please tell me who they have invaded in less that 40 years?
4. Please tell me how Bush and Cheney have profitted from the war and please tell me why, if this is true, Kerry's campaign has not been providing evidence ?
5. Why do you (spence, flap, eben) always ignore Clinton's comments to the Pentagon that Iraq must be dealt with? Bush acted on historical evidence, prior administration evidnce, other country's intell as well as our own.