Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

View Poll Results: Who won the debate
Edwards 4 14.81%
Cheney 22 81.48%
Tie 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2004, 12:26 AM   #1
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

Send a message via AIM to mrmacey
Part 2 Did you watch the Debate

No need to reply just vote please.
mrmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Just Remember

You have no one to blame but yourself

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
Skip N

Cheany def took old Johney Edwards to the wood shed last night. Nice to see him go at Edwards and not try to be Mr nice guy like W did last week. Gotta love the Liberals who keep going after all the Haliburton crap. Geeze people, even CNN said yesterday there is nothing going on with all crap. And CNN would love to have proof of all this and bring him down....and they have nothing. get over it and accually listen to the dedate and not get all itchy when the name halliburotn comes up!
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:12 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I listened to NPR this morning, they did a fact check from the debate.
The fact is that the govt. is in the process of delaying payments to Halliburton and Edwards reference to coruption under Cheney is untrue, Halliburton was fined due to acctg mistatements, and really had no comparison to Enron or corruption. This was from NPR which always slants pro- liberal.
I really enjoyed the debate and I thought both did well. I was pretty impressed with Cheney.
One thing that I thought was intersting I heard before teh debate.... do you realize that Edwards is worth over $50 million and %$%$%$%$%$%$ if elected, will be the most wealthiest president ever? I find it pretty hard to believe that they represent teh middle class.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #5
Big Vern
Hooked

Jimmy - Get a grip. Every modern president has been exceedingly wealthy. Not a one could be even loosely termed "middle class".

Do you think GWB and Cheney have any relation to the middle class?
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:01 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

DC, just an observation.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
Skip N

DC, Your right all modern presidents on VP's come from mega$$...But Kerry/Edwards keep saying they represent the middle class more than anyone else. Talk about a bunch of Sh@^. Bush says he cares by his actions and not by meeningless reteric. Remeber those nice tax cuts were everyone got a nice $300-$600 check in the mail? I sure do and that was fantastic. Dont recall that ever happening under a dem president. They just raise them and F@** over the middle class Yet all the unions ans such are in bed with the Dems....That i will never understand
Old 10-06-2004, 09:50 AM   #8
Nebe

What Edwards was saying is that he and Kerry are going to base thier Domestic agendas around the middleclass. Not the rich and not for large Companies... The current administration has consistantly voted over and over in a way that favors the rich and big Co's...

The tax rebate was a nice thing I agree, but Was it responsible?? Imagine if you were america.. You were doing well, and then one day on 9/11 someone beats the crap out of you and you loose your job. Then your new girlfriend takes your Visa Platnum credit card and goes on such wild shoppign spree that you will never be able to pay back that debt. In fact, your children and grand children will have to pay for it. Then, your girlfriend says she's going ot go find the people who beat you up and punnish them, she finds one of them, but then goes out and sleeps with her ex-boyfriend who she claims had ties to the guys who beat you up...

i dont know about you, but I'd dump that bitch
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:52 AM   #9
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip N
Yet all the unions ans such are in bed with the Dems....That i will never understand
your kidding me right?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:02 AM   #10
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

Guys, come on, we're supposed to put a lid on this kind of discussion here.

Nothing's going to be accomplished by arguing about this crap on a fishing board except pissing each other off.

By now, if you really care you should have ALREADY registered to vote. Then, do your part in November...THAT'S where and when it counts.

In the mean time, get out and FISH.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

FWW, technically thats incorrect, we are not supposed to talk about Pres B or Sen K, but Cheney and Edwards are open game!

Just joking, I agree w/you somewhat. I really do appreciate hearing the other sides arguments
Old 10-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #12
Nebe

So how about those Yankees?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by fishweewee
Guys, come on, we're supposed to put a lid on this kind of discussion here.

Nothing's going to be accomplished by arguing about this crap on a fishing board except pissing each other off.

By now, if you really care you should have ALREADY registered to vote. Then, do your part in November...THAT'S where and when it counts.

In the mean time, get out and FISH.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:34 AM   #14
Skip N

"your kidding me right?"

No Eben im not....seems to me all the unions wether it be teachers, Plumbers or whatever seem to support the Dems. At least the Union Heads spew that rehteric. How do you see it? Just an honest question....not trying to start crap again
Old 10-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #15
Nebe

Skip I know your not tring to start crap, nor am I.. Firstly, les get down to the basics of our 2 parties. Lets forget about the terms liberal and conservative, because a republican be more of a liberal than a Dem and a Democrat can be more conservative than a republican.
I see it like this. Unions are favoring the Democrats now and have for many years because democrats in most cases vote for the middleclass. They will vote for the rights of a worker and to raise minmum wage, fight for better health insurance, etc...
Agian this is how i see it, The Republicans are looking out for the companies that the middleclass people work for. Whos to say that a tax rebate to a huge company doesnt just go into the pockets of shareholders??

When Clinton was Prez, and you look beyond all that lewinski crap, you'll see that we had the strongest economy in the history of our country. We did this becasue Clinton raised minimum wages, gave insentives for companies to create new jobs here in teh US...(not just rebates), and I believe that the stock market boom was because of everyone in the middleclass had more $$ to invest. The Union members remember the good old days of the clinton era and want that back. Under W we've lost so many jobs, and if you pay attention, besides that 3 or 600 dollar check, he hasnt done much to create jobs here in th states. Instead huge companies and small are being rewarded for taking jobs that americans can do here and are bringing them to china... Now if you were a Union Member working for a huge company who is considering exporting jobs wouldnt you be scared???
Teachers favor Democrats because I believe that democrats are more willing to pump up school budgets... The No child left behind act was a good thing, but I believe that it took $$ out of the gifted child programs, music programs and art programs.. again i could be wrong on that-

thats my take..
Old 10-06-2004, 11:29 AM   #16
fishweewee

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Eben

When Clinton was Prez, and you look beyond all that lewinski crap, you'll see that we had the strongest economy in the history of our country. We did this becasue Clinton raised minimum wages, gave insentives for companies to create new jobs here in teh US...(not just rebates), and I believe that the stock market boom was because of everyone in the middleclass had more $$ to invest. The Union members remember the good old days of the clinton era and want that back. Under W we've lost so many jobs, and if you pay attention, besides that 3 or 600 dollar check, he hasnt done much to create jobs here in th states. Instead huge companies and small are being rewarded for taking jobs that americans can do here and are bringing them to china... Now if you were a Union Member working for a huge company who is considering exporting jobs wouldnt you be scared???
Teachers favor Democrats because I believe that democrats are more willing to pump up school budgets... The No child left behind act was a good thing, but I believe that it took $$ out of the gifted child programs, music programs and art programs.. again i could be wrong on that-

thats my take..

Most learned economists would disagree with this analysis.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:32 AM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Eb, sorry man, thats way way off. I've spent the last 15 years of my career in the investment industry. Clinton had zip to do with the boom in the 90's. The money that was in the stock market back then is still there, its just in more conservative investments such as money marketss or comm paper. There are a few explanations
1. 401Ks - go back 10 years ago, how many people heard of these? They were not the ideal retirement vehicle of choice. most of our parents had guarnteed retiremetns through pensions. 401ks and IRAs put investments in the hands of the people. Most, put it into the stock market, See next point
2. Internet, wireless, cable. This industry boomed. The common man (see above) put there investmetns in the stock market hearing of huge gains, for example Ebay trading at $400 a share. Insane logic by inexpericned investors. Greed through venture capital and inexperinced investors inflated the market. It was no longer about investing for long term gains , it was about making a quick buck.
3. Y2K - led to big paying jobs and projects in IT
3. Greenspan summed it up in 1998 or 1999, the economy was expericing "irrational exuberance". there was no basis for the amount of growth we were experiencing. It was a pure bubble.
When stock prices are up, companies have more borrowing power, they hire more people, they spend more money. Good for thw economy if thw growth was real.
In reality, as everyone expectred, it collapsed (or corrected). companies had to fund their investmetns, lay off people and stop rapid growth. It resulted in layoffs, companies folding and a recession.
For political reasons, Bush is blamed. He had nothing to do with it at all. Neither did Clinton.
I can argue all day about Iraq or terrorism but the president has minimal effect on the economy. the tax cuts were purely political, putting more $ in the hands of people. It will have little affect on corporate investments and no long term effect on the economy.
Please excuse all my spelling errors
Old 10-06-2004, 11:40 AM   #18
Nebe

well agian, I did say that was just my opinions and did end it with that it was My take.. and the fact is that most people look back at those haydays and think of clinton.

My point is that democrats have always been known to fight for the middleclass and republicans fight for the rich and the big box corperations.. that was skips question and thats my answer.

Weewee I made something yesteday for U
Old 10-06-2004, 11:48 AM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Opinions are what its all about.
Friday's debate should be fun (ny)
Old 10-06-2004, 11:57 AM   #20
Skip N

Thankfully i am a NON Union blue collar worker so any union dues i would pay woudlnt go to the Kerry/ Edwards campaign. I still dont buy the whole middle class Dem thing. Just one of those political myths if you ask me. Brain washed people just vote Dem becuase they THINK they are helping them. In this election i dont think it matters anyway, the number one issue is deffiantly terrosim and who will best keep it off our soil and take the fight to the enemy. Good paying jobs dont meen squat if we are all dead from terrosists and nukes right? Thats the number one job of the president, too protect the people of the US and keep us all safe. And we all know who has the best record on terror and taking the fight to the enemy.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:07 PM   #21
fishweewee

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Eben

Weewee I made something yesteday for U
Old 10-06-2004, 01:40 PM   #22
stormfish

The bubble in the economy burst and that bubble was the ".com" industry. They were overated like the Yankees, but eventually the lack of net income finally caught up to them like the Red Sox. The surplus we see in the economy was the exercise of taxation, something I think doesn't exist under the "B" administration. It's a rule of thumb in Macro Economics that if the economy booming and there's a hint of inflation, then raising interest rates and taxes should be implemented. Obviously this wasn't the case with the Dub ya administration... Tax cuts was the priority of this administration agenda from day 1, hence Dub ya's speech about recession during inauguration. Oh yea, analyst are stating that the economy is becoming strong now, but is that due to GDP rising in parallel to the war? What will happen to the economy when government intervention isn't applied anymore? I personally think, recession and huge budget defecit. War isn't cheap you know...

fish when you can is the way I do it man
stormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:07 PM   #23
Mr. Sandman

Didn't see the debate I had more IMPORTANT things to do....I was F I S H I N G !

Besides, who "won" and who "lost" the debate is meaningless excect for the media who hypes it (election day is what counts). DC has DEEP experience and is an honest man. Besides he is a fly fisherman, that should count for something!
JE is a young southern pretty boy chosen for mearly for demographics to compliment the extreme liberal northern running mate/gigolo.

FYI....GIGOLO: Definition: [n] a man who has sex with and is supported by a woman
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
FYI....GIGOLO: Definition: [n] a man who has sex with and is supported by a woman
You say it like its a Bad Thing...

Old 10-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #25
chris L

I watched last comic standing certainly was funnier . My daughter had to watch it for a school project so I went outside to shovel 18 yards of topsoil .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote