Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Mark Sanford

Does anyone else, party politics aside, find it ironic that one of the sharpest critics of Clinton's affair(s) gets caught in a serious affair (but it's LOVE) and admits to other contact with women (lapdances? )

Left or Right I like seeing these 'moralists' squirm.... he's not the first guy to get caught getting some strange, but this case is entertaining.

I do feel for his kids/wife/family though, to have it carried out in the public eye...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Fly Rod

They all have skeletons in their closets and when the news media gets a hold of it, it is doomsday for either republican or democrat. The rest of the family suffers.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Joe

Watch out for anyone who hoots too loud on Saturday night or prays too loud on Sunday.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
PaulS

They are POS' to cheat. Repubs are hypocritical POS'. I do feel sorry for the family. My wife would castrate me.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Watch out for anyone who hoots too loud on Saturday night or prays too loud on Sunday.
It's always the ones who are more extreme and critical of others. "Do as I say, not as I do."

Former Sen. Craig for instance who "supported the Federal Marriage Amendment, which barred extension of rights to same-sex couples", yet was toe-tapping for some man-love.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
It's always the ones who are more extreme and critical of others. "Do as I say, not as I do."

Former Sen. Craig for instance who "supported the Federal Marriage Amendment, which barred extension of rights to same-sex couples", yet was toe-tapping for some man-love.
Thats my point...

he was SO critical, and now it turns out he's as big of a horn-dog... at least Slick Willy never flew to Argentina to get his, he just had an intern.,...

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
They are POS' to cheat. Repubs are hypocritical POS'. I do feel sorry for the family. My wife would castrate me.
That statement would imply that dems are FOR cheating?

Just imagine Edwards face as he was banging that woman while his wife was battling cancer. So I guess he is not a hypocrite becuase he was not against cheating?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
That statement would imply that dems are FOR cheating?

Just imagine Edwards face as he was banging that woman while his wife was battling cancer. So I guess he is not a hypocrite becuase he was not against cheating?
No, only if the original statement was limited to Repubs. instead of not mentioning either party.

Its the hypocrisy of beating your chest while claiming your party is more moralistic and has more ethics than the other party that gets the hypocracy part added to the POS.

As far as Edwards - he fits into the POS category.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim:
The irony is that Sanford was one of Clinton's sharpest critic.
R or D, cheating is cheating...

Bryan

Old 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Raven

Professional Liars and are paid for it......
Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Just imagine Edwards face as he was banging that woman while his wife was battling cancer.
Like Newt?

This isn't rocket science and has nothing to do with partisan politics. He strayed in his personal life by cheating and ran afoul of his political responsibilities by abusing his governorship.

The guy should resign and for the good of the GOP shut his mouth.

What's sad (for the people) is that he actually seemed to be a decent politician.

-spence
Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
Squid kids Dad

Regardless of politics...He is a liar and a cheater...Resign now

I'm going where I'm going...
Old 07-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #13
Raven

yeah but if he had to resign for lying and cheating

all the politicians would have to resign.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
scottw

the solution is simple and I don't know why Republicans don't get it...if you...... are caught tapping your toe, are discovered boinking a hottie from south of the border, are found to have $100,000 in your freezer, have previously undisclosed love child(s), get all drugged up and go for a spin in your Mustang and try to drive over a couple of Capitol Hill Policemen, are caught fondling young pages, enjoy poking interns with cigars etc....etc....simply stroll to the microphone and declare that you are now a Democrat...you will be warmly welcomed .... all of this behavior is simply resume enhancement to the dems and will result in your perpetual re-election and you will probably get an elementary school named after you...
Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Don't just claim that it's the Republicans. Do you remember some guy named Clinton who cheated on his wife and then lied to the public who elected him? Or John Edwards who cheated on his terminally ill wife while running for President? Bad judgement and hypocracy knows no party lines.

As for Sanford, he's revealed himself to be a bit of a headcase. He loves his mistress but wants to fall in love with his wife again? Who the heck let him hold that press conference and say those things? That guy is a jerk and is nuts.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
yeah but if he had to resign for lying and cheating

all the politicians would have to resign.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Don't just claim that it's the Republicans. Do you remember some guy named Clinton who cheated on his wife and then lied to the public who elected him? Or John Edwards who cheated on his terminally ill wife while running for President? Bad judgement and hypocracy knows no party lines.
His claim is that Republicans put forth the impression that they are on the higher path and as such, are hypocritical pieces of sh**.

Like my example above of Toe-Tapping Craig sponsoring a bill against equal rights for gay couples and then looking for some man-love in a restroom.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
PaulS

Quote:

As for Sanford, he's revealed himself to be a bit of a headcase. He loves his mistress but wants to fall in love with his wife again? Who the heck let him hold that press conference and say those things? That guy is a jerk and is nuts.
The OP didn't mention dems or repub. Therefore, my comment about POSs refered to anyone who cheats and their being a POS. I only added the part about the repub. being hypocritical. I agree bad judgement and hypocracy knows no party and that both should be remembered when people go to the poles.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #19
fishbones

Quote:
His claim is that Republicans put forth the impression that they are on the higher path and as such, are hypocritical pieces of sh**.

Like my example above of Toe-Tapping Craig sponsoring a bill against equal rights for gay couples and then looking for some man-love in a restroom.

First off, it's not very smart to label a whole group of people. And I don't believe that PaulS thinks all Republicans are bad. I also don't think you do, since you're a closet conservative.

Craig probably is against gay rights because he's married and therefore gets the rights of a straight person. He probably secretly hates the fact that he has gay urges and this is how he copes.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #20
PaulS

Quote:
And I don't believe that PaulS thinks all Republicans are bad. I .

No, definitely not. I don't want anyone to ever think that.

The POS was meant to refer to cheaters. I'll put them all in the same boat.

I use to vote primarily repub. but switched b/c I think their views have gotten very extreme (I'm sure many can come back w/that about dems.). Any time you have 1 party in power w/to much power they get complacent and lose touch w/their constituants. The repubs. need to start appealling to a younger more diverse pop.

Have a good holiday!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Craig probably is against gay rights because he's married and therefore gets the rights of a straight person. He probably secretly hates the fact that he has gay urges and this is how he copes.
Nice, he hates the fact that he's gay

How about he probably hates the fact that society has made him life a disingenuous life and keeps him from being who he really is.

-spence
Old 07-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #22
JohnnyD

Quote:
First off, it's not very smart to label a whole group of people. And I don't believe that PaulS thinks all Republicans are bad. I also don't think you do, since you're a closet conservative.
My fault, I misread his statement. Sorry Paul.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
Cool Beans

Not sure on this one, if he spent government funds to do this then, he has no excuse and should be kicked out of office.

If he spent his own $$ and had a fling, it may be different. Many politicians on both sides have survived this type of backlash.

The people of South Carolina really like this guy and this may be survivable. He will not make the 2012 ticket, but may stay on as gov.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #24
Littoral E

He should definitely leave office just like Bill Clinton did when he had his little bimbo eruption. Well, actually, Sanfords deal was consensual, unlike the rapes Bill perpetrated.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #25
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littoral E View Post
He should definitely leave office just like Bill Clinton did when he had his little bimbo eruption. Well, actually, Sanfords deal was consensual, unlike the rapes Bill perpetrated.

Rapes huh?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #26
spence

Quote:
Rapes huh?
Wouldn't surprise me, they did murder Vince Foster and like 20 other people who were going to bring evidence against them.

-spence
Old 07-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #27
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

What irked me was when he compared himself to David and Goliath, oh the ego..........he was actually receiving joy in other words from standing there admitting to the affair.

They are a forgiving bunch down there, they may actually forgive and re-elect. If he had any shame he would stay home.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman